Whether BB10 has been in existence for three months or three years is not the issue. The issue is whether BB10 is being abandoned for a superior operating system, and It clearly is not! For those who are not sophisticated enough to appreciate the superiority of BB10, there is the Priv (an Android--not a true BlackBerry) and other Androids or other platforms. For those of us who are sophisticated enough to appreciate BB10's superiority as an OS, allow us to lament the loss.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Timothius01
    You do realize that statements like "for those of us who are sophisticated enough to appreciate BB10's superiority as an OS" is merely an opinion (albeit an arrogant one), right?

My personal opinion - I've used BB10 (own a Z10, though it was last used in late 2014), and though I thought BB10 was a major step up from BBOS, I still prefer iOS and WP8. That doesn't mean BB10 sucks, or that it isn't the best option for some people. It also doesn't mean that it is self-evident why BB10 is wonderful.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-16-15 06:47 PM
    You do realize that statements like "for those of us who are sophisticated enough to appreciate BB10's superiority as an OS" is merely an opinion (albeit an arrogant one), right?

My personal opinion - I've used BB10 (own a Z10, though it was last used in late 2014), and though I thought BB10 was a major step up from BBOS, I still prefer iOS and WP8. That doesn't mean BB10 sucks, or that it isn't the best option for some people. It also doesn't mean that it is self-evident why BB10 is wonderful.
    At the very least, you can surely recognize the efficiency of the BB10 workflow, as well as appreciate the more advanced multitasking features. QNX is a rocksolid base for it all. Those features alone creates a framework wherein BB10 could have been so much more, while iOS and WP8 were held back by their implementations.

Is that wrong?

The skeleton of BB10 is really quite brilliant, even if the end product isn't as polished. That's why it's sad to see BB10 go. It clearly has the most potential as a platform.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 07:05 PM
    I don't really care about BB10's "workflow capabilities", and in fact I prefer to keep my e-mail and text message accounts separate rather than having everything mashed together because I use my different accounts for different purposes. (Where I work BB10's Hub functionality isn't as beneficial either because e-mail needs to be accessed through Good for Enterprise on mobile devices.) What I do care about is having a smartphone that works, and provides me the information I need in a hassle-free way. Because BB10 has a limited number of apps, and (to use an example) has no apps or at least had no apps for the WMATA/DC Metro transit system, something I use almost every weekday, it has less functionality to me than other mobile operating systems. (In my personal use experience, I've also found BB10 a little on the slow side.) That doesn't mean it can't provide significant benefits to other users.
    Ronindan likes this.
    11-16-15 07:17 PM
    I don't really care about BB10's "workflow capabilities", and in fact I prefer to keep my e-mail and text message accounts separate rather than having everything mashed together because I use my different accounts for different purposes. (Where I work BB10's Hub functionality isn't as beneficial either because e-mail needs to be accessed through Good for Enterprise on mobile devices.) What I do care about is having a smartphone that works, and provides me the information I need in a hassle-free way. Because BB10 has a limited number of apps, and (to use an example) has no apps or at least had no apps for the WMATA/DC Metro transit system, something I use almost every weekday, it has less functionality to me than other mobile operating systems. (In my personal use experience, I've also found BB10 a little on the slow side.) That doesn't mean it can't provide significant benefits to other users.
    You can keep email accounts separate from one another from within the hub you know. And BB10 is fast on good hardware. Because QNX is a microkernel, apparently it relies upon specs more than monolithic kernels (from what I read).

As for Good, well if BlackBerry owns them, I find it hard to believe BB10 isn't compatible.

You need apps? I guess the OS you use doesn't matter much then.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 07:38 PM
    You can keep email accounts separate from one another from within the hub you know. And BB10 is fast on good hardware. Because QNX is a microkernel, apparently it relies upon specs more than monolithic kernels (from what I read).

As for Good, well if BlackBerry owns them, I find it hard to believe BB10 isn't compatible.

You need apps? I guess the OS you use doesn't matter much then.

Posted via CB10
    While I have enjoyed BlackBerry for the last 12 years, the lack of certain app functionality means that it's beginning to suck. I drove around looking for a branch atm today and what's simple on my LG G2 as I'm driving was impossible on my Z10, Z30 and Leap today. Clicked on the ported Android mobile app to search for location and got the "app won't run without Google Play Services" message. That BS is why BlackBerry marketshare blows and why BB10 sucks. All the effing superior OS crap doesn't mean jack when I have to pull into a parking lot to open a browser to do a effing Google search....

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, DINGSTER1, Sparksx and 1 others like this.
    11-16-15 08:02 PM
    While I have enjoyed BlackBerry for the last 12 years, the lack of certain app functionality means that it's beginning to suck. I drove around looking for a branch atm today and what's simple on my LG G2 as I'm driving was impossible on my Z10, Z30 and Leap today. Clicked on the ported Android mobile app to search for location and got the "app won't run without Google Play Services" message. That BS is why BlackBerry marketshare blows and why BB10 sucks. All the effing superior OS crap doesn't mean jack when I have to pull into a parking lot to open a browser to do a effing Google search....

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree, but having a dearth of third party apps (or even well-maintained first party apps) doesn't mean that BB10 still isn't the most well-designed and advanced OS of the bunch, from the kernel to the gui.

That's my point. Apps are a different story, and you need what you need. But the way that hub manages email accounts is really quite advanced compared to the other OS's.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-16-15 10:16 PM
    Yup, enjoy while it lasts, or at least until this Z30 dies out, then Windows phone with Islandwood project running iOS apps.
    11-17-15 08:27 AM
    India's Digit Magazine names BlackBerry 10 'The World's Best Mobile OS'
    11-17-15 08:44 AM
    I totally agree, but having a dearth of third party apps (or even well-maintained first party apps) doesn't mean that BB10 still isn't the most well-designed and advanced OS of the bunch, from the kernel to the gui.

That's my point. Apps are a different story, and you need what you need. But the way that hub manages email accounts is really quite advanced compared to the other OS's.

Posted via CB10
    I can agree with this. Blackberry does have an efficient OS and I do like what the HUB brings. Apps and their ecosystem are another story though. Too bad really.
    11-17-15 10:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    The only reason I've supported BlackBerry this long was because of the hub and it's efficiency handling email. However, the entire planet has evolved and moved forward in the last 20 years. Unfortunately, the app ecosystem has created a different level of expectations from clients that becomes expectations for me if there is any chance of keeping these clients. I have the LG G2 because I have to have certain apps to operate my businesses now. It's almost like the BlackBerry phone has become my toy or hobby device now because of it can't do instead of can do.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 11:06 AM
    I don't have to say "BlackBerry 10 works best for me" on a BlackBerry fan site, just to avoid offending iPhone fans on here. If you are not into BlackBerry, that's fine, but you cannot hang out here asking people to be "objective" and neutral on a BlackBerry fan site.

People are here because they like BlackBerry 10; and they believe BlackBerry 10 is the best mobile OS.
    No, you don't have to. Post whatever you like. However, BlackBerry fansite or not, you still fail to acknowledge that other platforms may be attractive to other users; and that is the difference. For example, I grew up with Star Wars--the real deal from the 70s and early 80s. I work with some youngin's who not only never seen Star Wars but who also grew up on Harry Potter. And of course there are those who are into both. Not only do I believe that Star Wars kicks the Harry Potter franchises' behind left and right, I am not arrogant enough to not understand that some feel otherwise. I mean, it is one thing to go onto a fansite and talk about all the good stuff with others who agree with you, it is another to act like only you get to sip the electric kool-aid.

You know how to effectively win an argument? You acknowledge the other viewpoint as valid before proving it is wrong.

If people on here were not passionate about BlackBerry phones, they would just be using their phones without actively participating in community discussions.
    For what it is worth this would describe the majority of BlackBerry users. iPhone, WinPhone, and Android, too. The only other person I know in real life who is on a BB10 (Q10, in his case) loves the heck out of BlackBerry and that phone (and is going to get a Priv, soon). This dude would not know what "CrackBerry" is let alone participate in these forums.

To be fair to Chen, he did not plan to go Android from the beginning of his tenure unless all reports have been BS. That said it is fair to say that he ramped down BB10 to a skeleton crew to save money and put the focus on software for enterprise device management.

 Passport SE 
    According to the recent CNet article, Chen was interested in Android from the get-go, but in ways of offering security solutions only. It was Ron Louks who convinced Chen to go with Android on BlackBerry.

You searched for john chen - Techonomy

Scroll down to the John Chen and Bernard Tyson interview: at about 20:55

"People ask why you built an Android phone? There are 1,700 Android phones on the market and only one barely makes money; Samsung. I built the Android phone because I believe it could really showcase our security and privacy."

Boom. The Priv is not the hail mary for the handset division nor is it necessarily the future of BlackBerry. It is simply meant to advertise what BlackBerry could do in a way that BB10 could not. Keep in mind that Chen also keeps "BB10 is the most secure" on auto loop.

I'm not sure what BB can do to maintain Apps. Most of them are written by 3rd parties, who'd presumably need some incentive to continue support.

And I don't believe they have the resources, or will, to maintain Apps anyway given what's happening to BB10's Facebook App, which is one of the few Apps that BB did write.
    Isn't the FaceBook app updated in the latest leak?

BB10 is still years ahead of Android. Android requires a rewrite from the bottom up, it's just a mess. Maybe a decade ahead of Android, now that everyone is so entrenched in this OS. When are we going to see another properly design operating system? Not for a long time, I'm afraid.

Posted via CB10
    Tizen, Sailfish, FirefoxOS, Fire OS, Ubuntu, a dozen or so severely fragmented and forked versions of AOSP, Cynogenmod, and smaller players like PrivatOS are the future of mobile OS. At some point soon, "Google" Android may only largely be a North American and maybe Western European thing. And who knows what will happen to Android when it finally merges with Chome OS (which Google has been saying was going to happen for years, yet pulled the plug each and every time. It's inevitable to happen, though). If this Andro-Chrome OS becomes reality, what will happen to Android on BlackBerry? Will BlackBerry adopt AOSP then? Unless those in "high security" could sync, and only use, their own cloud service (or perhaps BBs) I guarantee you that none of them, not one, are going to be on board with an Andro-Chrome OS and most definitely not Google's cloud.

The one thing that all of these OSs have in common is that they can run Android apps. Of course, Google is trying to force and lock everyone into their own ecosystem with Play Services, but that might even fail them ultimately. Outside of ART, which can be obtained from AOSP, there are also open source run times, too.

BlackBerry is already ahead of the pack here with BB10. Ironically, Tizen edged out both MS and BlackBerry to take the 3rd most popular mobile OS spot (still a low percentage of market share, though).

Both Apple and Google could launch a new more modern OS.... the problem is both are smart enough to know that you don't abandoned your legacy users. Thus they have to make baby steps to improve what they have and bring everyone along....

Something that both BlackBerry and Microsoft failed to do.....
    Apple has an entire ecosystem they need to keep in mind, so they really cannot radically redesign iOS without also doing so to OSX, er, is that now OSXI? and whatever runs AppleTV, the iWatch, and so on. They also need to consider how iTunes integrates onto Windows.

Google is still trying to figure out what to do with Android. Granted, Google spearheaded the OHA but in reality it was those other vendors that really helped make Android so popular. Google itself is still struggling to monetize from it and even the king of Android, Samsung--who dominates "Android revenues" is still small time compared to Apple/iOS.

BlackBerry and MS both target the same audience with the same feature: productivity. However, Instagram, the "real" FaceBook and FB Messenger, Uber, and a few other name brand apps are finally coming to W10 phones. Keep in mind that these apps stayed away from WinPhones for the exact same reason they stayed off BB10: too small of a user base to be worth their efforts. Perhaps if BlackBerry stuck with BB10 and made "normal" phones (candy bars, all-touch) they'd be in a similar position now with apps/devs, too.
    11-17-15 12:06 PM
    My theory is bb10 is in maintenence mode and maybe from time to time BlackBerry will release some highly secure bb10 phones with secusmart chips for governments , high profile customers etc (not retail use) who just needs a highly secure phone just for emails and phone calls (rather than apps)

When the concept of 'apps' die out and people move to Web based apps, BlackBerry then would probably Re look and reinvest in bb10 when things are on a more even playing field....

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 06:06 PM
    I'm very sad, and mad at what is going to happen to an excellent OS that was bb10. I loved everything about it, and it had so much potential.

It's incredible what I could get some done and the efficiency of which it would get done.

All that aside, I've been using an iPhone for a little over three months now. I had used the z10 Classic and z30, loved every one of them. I even used my Z30 for two weeks about a month ago when my iPhone broke- I loved everything about those two weeks. Of course, there are some things that had me switch back again; I am using a 6s now.

Chen turned his back on BB10 and everyone knows it. Others have pointed out that it may have been his plan all along, who knows.

Regardless, the end of BB10 is incredibly sad and I'm quite upset to see it go away ever so softly as it will.

Thanks a lot, John Chen.
    11-19-15 03:05 AM
    Oh man i really hope they don't kill BB10, I really love it, it's a welcome change from Android...I have both a Blackberry Z30 and two Android phones and honestly I love the BB10 over the Android but I switch between the two for different reasons...but my heart is with the Z30...best sound and feel I've ever experienced in a smart phone...hope they can come up with something REALLY creative to make it sustainable and ever profitable! I mean Blackberry invented the Smart Phone for Christs sake...come up with something...it's not rocket science...put a phone out that people not just WANT...but a phone that people just CAN'T DO WITHOUT!!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 03:27 AM
    Yupp bb10 is by far the best OS imo....tried all the OSs but bb10 keeps me coming back.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 04:19 AM
    Sadly to hear this. I really like this OS, it was strong "love" during past 2 years. ((((
    02-26-16 06:03 AM
    No, you don't have to. Post whatever you like. However, BlackBerry fansite or not, you still fail to acknowledge that other platforms may be attractive to other users; and that is the difference.
    Yes, I did say that I would not go to an IPhone forum asking people to be objective. I acknowledged that I already know that they think IOS is the best mobile OS.

But you have "accidentally" cropped that part out.

I would not go to an Apple fansite; and tell them not to say "IOS is the best mobile OS" for the sake of being "objective". I already know they think IOS is the best mobile OS since it is a Apple fansite.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 02:05 AM
92 ... 234