I'm sure some of you saw my other thread about selling my Storm. I've never ported a number to a different carrier before, so I'm not really sure what I'll need to do.

I know the process is started when I sign up with the new carrier, can anyone tell me how long the process takes? At what point will my ESN be free so I can send off my phone worry-free (obviously after I wipe off all personal data using the wipe feature in the security settings)? Should I use anything else to wipe my phone after the phone's built in wipe?
    10-12-09 08:49 PM
    i would just wipe the whole thing with jl_cmder and then reload the os not bothering to do any type of memory optimization
    10-12-09 09:04 PM
    I do not know what to suggest as far as wiping your device but as far as your other question goes. to port your # you will just need to give the carrier your information from Verizon. They will need the following: number to be ported, name on the account (this might delay your port if the account is not owned by you), and your account # from Verizon as well as billing address zipcode. How long it takes depends on how you start your new severice. The typical period is 24-72 hours sometimes it can be done the same day. If you order online you should be ready by the time the new phone is in your hands. Good luck!
    10-12-09 09:14 PM
    Delete your information and take it to out of the box condition.
    - In the device options, click Security Options.
    - Click General Settings.
    - Press the Menu key.
    - Click Wipe Handheld.
    - To delete all third-party applications from your device, select the Include third-party applications check box.
    - Click Continue.
    - Type blackberry.

Be sure to back up your info to transfer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 09:22 PM
    Thanks for the info everyone. Now I'm just going to have to decide what to do about minutes. My fiancee is still on Verizon, and that's the one number I call the most, and it used to be covered by Verizon's mobile to mobile. I could probably get away with 450, but I'd worry about going over. Hmmm...
    10-12-09 09:26 PM
    What carrier are you going to?

10-12-09 09:50 PM
    What carrier are you going to?

AT&T for the iPhone, Fiancee is on Verizon. I think I may start with the 900 minute plan, then move down to 450 after a month so I have a "cushion" of rollover minutes (yes, I know you'll have 450 max if you do this, but that should be enough).
    10-13-09 04:59 AM
    I have the 450 on Verizon too, I don't think I ever go over 60 a month, I wish they had a lower plan!
    10-13-09 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD