^^^On an iphone it's the same as if you were on a computer. Unless I am missing something that is nothing of the case with BB. Whats even the point of the filter anyways? I want to be able to get an email and move it to a different folder from my phone. As far as I know that can not be done on blackberry. I am doing that as I speak on an ipod touch.
    I can't say I use filter much but if you have some emails set up to skip inbox and go directly to a folder you would have to go to the native gmail inbox and use menu/filter/folder to see the email. You would still be notified but the email will not show in the messages app or gmail inbox.

I think you can move emails to other folders by going into the gmail inbox, press menu and select labels, then tick or untick the folders(or labels as google calls them) you want your email to show in.

You can also archive emails by pressing menu/select archive, after that that email will show in the archive folder.
    06-30-11 01:14 PM
    I'm starting to realize that the reason mobile users defend their platforms to the end is because it speaks to their own personal judgement when picking the device in the first place. No one wants to look like they may have made a mistake, so they cloud their thoughts around the positive, and suppress the negative.

It was always fascinating to me how people actually "become" their devices, especially forum type of people.

For me, i never grew attached to any one platform and only went by the opinions that make sense. Rim doesn't pay me, and android doesn't pay me. And I'd be doing myself and the community i share info with, a disservice if i ignore bad just to make myself feel better about the device i committed to... Whether it might have been a mistake or not

Sent from my DINC2 using tapatalk
    ElSteve9 likes this.
    06-30-11 01:17 PM
    But see though, that's irrelevant. [B]The point of this thread is to catalog ways the Blackberry models available can't do what android and iPhones can do.[/] You can't just start explaining these things away when they're mentioned. A lot of the posts in this thread are about that.

"Android phones can be an FM radio."
    "So? Who would actually USE that?" Not the point IN THIS THREAD.

Turn off your need to defend Blackberry for JUST ONE THREAD people! YOU aren't a Blackberry. No one is saying YOU are inadequate...

-Stephen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So the point of the thread was to compare tech specs? A topic was needed to "catalog" things? Why not just look at and compare spec sheets? This is a propaganda topic to try to show that android and iphone are better than BlackBerry. They're not. I wouldn't want those devices if they were free.

06-30-11 01:56 PM
    I'm starting to realize that the reason mobile users defend their platforms to the end is because it speaks to their own personal judgement when picking the device in the first place. No one wants to look like they may have made a mistake, so they cloud their thoughts around the positive, and suppress the negative.

It was always fascinating to me how people actually "become" their devices, especially forum type of people.

For me, i never grew attached to any one platform and only went by the opinions that make sense. Rim doesn't pay me, and android doesn't pay me. And I'd be doing myself and the community i share info with, a disservice if i ignore bad just to make myself feel better about the device i committed to... Whether it might have been a mistake or not

Who made a mistake? I know I didn't. I just upgraded my BlackBerry and renewed my contract with my carrier. I love BlackBerry and BIS.

06-30-11 02:00 PM
    I think howarmat listed a whole lot more than an FM radio.

Also, if you're asking the question with senerity, then don't count the features that android does over blackberry as irrelevant when they are listed.

You seem to dismiss an FM radio simply because "you" don't use it. I think the question was related not to just you, but features in general

howarmat likes this.
    06-30-11 02:04 PM
    Who made a mistake? I know I didn't. I just upgraded my BlackBerry and renewed my contract with my carrier. I love BlackBerry and BIS.

If it works for you, then that's great! Hey! It worked for me once. But if you become bias and don't analyze the product properly and omit important observation, then your opinion becomes irrelevant

06-30-11 02:11 PM
    I think howarmat listed a whole lot more than an FM radio.

Also, if you're asking the question with senerity, then don't count the features that android does over blackberry as irrelevant when they are listed.

You seem to dismiss an FM radio simply because "you" don't use it. I think the question was related not to just you, but features in general

I wouldn't say all points made by howarmat were valid, I OTA sync my contacts and calendar with gmail and yahoo mail just fine and contacts with hotmail.

Yes android does have flash but it's very limited, can't exactly play farmville on it, last time I tried wouldn't even play youtube in page, still brought up the media player to play it

BB doesn't shoot HD but it's not like it can't shoot some pretty decent video.

etc
    06-30-11 02:13 PM
    I tried this last night and was met with total failure.... Even with great support and guidance, I'm very sad to report that my Blackberry can not walk on water; the poor guy just sank to the bottom

Sent from my friend's iPhone (because, while my inferior Blackberry is now chilling with Davy Jones, his iPhone spat in the face of this challenge).

Ferretling likes this.
    06-30-11 02:13 PM
    If it works for you, then that's great! Hey! It worked for me once. But if you become bias and don't analyze the product properly and omit important observation, then your opinion becomes irrelevant

Irrelevant to whom? To me? I don't care which phone has the better camera. I don't even use a camera and ordered my new Bold sans camera. Even as far as that's concerned, my opinion that BlackBerry is better is still relevant to me and probably to the companies that benefitted financially from my purchase.

belfastdispatcher likes this.
    06-30-11 02:17 PM
    Actually many of the things brought up, Blackberries CAN DO, some other phones just do them minimally better. So yes, that IS irrelevant.

Some on here are acting now like bc an Android or iPhone 4 (since the other iphones didn't even have flash cameras) take pictures and Blackberries are incapable of it? Ummm... hello, BB phones can take pictures too! Its not something BB cannot do! But its relevant that the picture quality to any phone still falls waaay short of any real camera, so lets not act like these devices are high end cameras.

Things Blackberries can't do? Play flash sites, Androids can. Facetime app, iPhone4 can. Netflix app, Android and iPhone can play them.

Thats all fine and good, Blackberries cannot do some of those things. Should the discussion end there?

Give me apps or functions that matter or are at all practical. Watching movies on tiny phone screens, video conferencing when the moons align and the phones and wifi match up, running flash sites that don't fit properly into a phone screen, or watching football games on a phone is hardly what I would call key features?

Can Blackberry phones do these things? Nope. But does it matter? Not to me or anyone I know. Maybe someone with a bankrupt life wants to watch the superbowl on their phone, I will pass...
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    06-30-11 02:38 PM
    Irrelevant to whom? To me? I don't care which phone has the better camera. I don't even use a camera and ordered my new Bold sans camera. Even as far as that's concerned, my opinion that BlackBerry is better is still relevant to me and probably to the companies that benefitted financially from my purchase.

So why can't you just single handedly save rim then?

06-30-11 02:47 PM
    I wasn't aware RIM needed saving. Did you save Apple in the mid 90's?
    06-30-11 02:49 PM
    What s/he said.

06-30-11 02:51 PM
    My blackberry can make a call. If a competitive device can make a call as well, but do it better, then I'm sorry, that's relevant!

The proof is in the pudding...

06-30-11 02:52 PM
    Guess u should read more

06-30-11 02:53 PM
    Your camera is better than mine, because I don't even have one. My BlackBerry probably has better call quality than your droid, and it definitely has better security than your droid.

06-30-11 02:55 PM
    So why can't you just single handedly save rim then?

I think we should worry more about the economy rather then worry about a company with a few billions in the bank don't you think?
    06-30-11 02:56 PM
    RIM is not exactly on their last legs, they are a corporation with 3 billion in cash, 16 billion market cap, moved 13.5 million phones last quarter, which is about normal for them.

Their stock is taking a huge hit, but looking at their numbers, its still really good. Unless you trade the stock, it really doesn't matter. At PE ratio of less than 5x earnings it is waaay oversold and a bargain at current levels.

So no, RIM does not need saving.... And I have read plenty...
    06-30-11 03:02 PM
    Your camera is better than mine, because I don't even have one. My BlackBerry probably has better call quality than your droid, and it definitely has better security than your droid.

I am so so tired of hearing about security. Blah Blah Blah my phone is a piece of crap..........but it's secure!!
    howarmat likes this.
    06-30-11 06:53 PM

There are a certain amount of people that are as naive about "nothing being wrong with BB" as the company itself! But hey I mean the company is doing great right????
    06-30-11 06:58 PM
    There are a certain amount of people that are as naive about "nothing being wrong with BB" as the company itself! But hey I mean the company is doing great right????
    According to some people here, its all peaches and cream for rim lol

06-30-11 07:31 PM
    I can't say I use filter much but if you have some emails set up to skip inbox and go directly to a folder you would have to go to the native gmail inbox and use menu/filter/folder to see the email. You would still be notified but the email will not show in the messages app or gmail inbox.

I think you can move emails to other folders by going into the gmail inbox, press menu and select labels, then tick or untick the folders(or labels as google calls them) you want your email to show in.

You can also archive emails by pressing menu/select archive, after that that email will show in the archive folder.
    No it doesn't really work that way. Bottom line is....it's not set up to be used that way. It's basically a filter option to see which emails you want to see. You need to do the email filing basically on a computer
    06-30-11 07:35 PM
    No it doesn't really work that way. Bottom line is....it's not set up to be used that way. It's basically a filter option to see which emails you want to see. You need to do the email filing basically on a computer
    It's set up the way it makes perfect sense to be set up. Mine and most people's blackberrys are mobile extensions of a computer, I don't need it to duplicate everything a computer does, it just needs to effortlessly keep me informed while I'm out and about and make it effortless for me to communicate with other people.
    06-30-11 07:52 PM
    It's set up the way it makes perfect sense to be set up. Mine and most people's blackberrys are mobile extensions of a computer, I don't need it to duplicate everything a computer does, it just needs to effortlessly keep me informed while I'm out and about and make it effortless for me to communicate with other people.
    And that thought process is exactly what is driving RIM to the ground. Smartphones are no longer mobile extensions of a computer. They are mobile computers!!!! Man you could work for RIM because the more you respond and defend RIM the more I want to go to a different platform(I kid....lol) But I am serious about the mobile computer deal though!!!
    06-30-11 08:26 PM
    RIM's stock is not doing great, its at a 5 year low. RIM hasn't released a phone in awhile. But also keep in mind, they acquired a company to build the QNX OS, released a tablet, and have delayed new phones. They are attempting to break into the tablet market, which with smartphones are two growing markets.

I would not necessarily want to own RIM's stock at the moment with so much uncertainty, but what does any of that have to do with the functionality of BB smartphones? Not a damn thing.

So back to the topic of the OP, a few apps that are not practical is about all the BB platform is missing. It is also slightly slower in web browsing and behind the curve in tech specs, but still manages to pull off doing all the important stuff well with generally excellent keyboards and functionality.

Could we flip this. What can't iPhones do that BB's can? Obviously type on a real kb. No BBM, but iMessage is in the works. Can it share data without paying extra or jailbreaking? I am not even sure about that one? Can't do OTA dl's?
    06-30-11 08:30 PM
123 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD