I have zero megapixels. I ordered the Bold sans camera.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-11 07:14 PM
    The difference in pictures is minimal. You want a great picture quality experience, splurge for some really pricey camera. If you are taking pix with phones, I highly doubt you are some serious photographer...
    06-29-11 07:17 PM
    Well here's a news flash: there are a whole bunch of us that don't want all that stuff on our phones. My phone is a communication device, not my portable movie theater, not my game system, and certainly not my full-function home pc. What BlackBerry's currently deliver is exactly what many of us need in a phone, right out of the box, without the need to load a ROM or jailbreak it, and without the need for hundreds of thousands of apps. And I challenge your assessment of the intuitiveness of the BBOS user experience - I find it to be the most intuitive of all of them. The OS7 phones will just give it the kick in the pants that it needs. There's a really good chance I'm going to totally pass on whatever this new QNX superphone turns out to be, because it will far exceed anything I want or need or will ever use in a phone.

And here's another news flash : Completely off topic.

- R.
    06-29-11 07:46 PM
    Well here's a news flash: there are a whole bunch of us that don't want all that stuff on our phones. My phone is a communication device, not my portable movie theater, not my game system, and certainly not my full-function home pc. What BlackBerry's currently deliver is exactly what many of us need in a phone, right out of the box, without the need to load a ROM or jailbreak it, and without the need for hundreds of thousands of apps. And I challenge your assessment of the intuitiveness of the BBOS user experience - I find it to be the most intuitive of all of them. The OS7 phones will just give it the kick in the pants that it needs. There's a really good chance I'm going to totally pass on whatever this new QNX superphone turns out to be, because it will far exceed anything I want or need or will ever use in a phone.

Like button pushed.

06-29-11 08:02 PM
    I'm catching a lot of crap for that post, and maybe this isn't the right thread for it, but I don't care. I do hope I'm in the minority and that a lot of people do want a do-it-all phone sporting a BlackBerry logo -- that's what all the experts have been saying. But I do know that there are others like me who like the functionality in the current BB's and just want it kicked up a little, and BB7 is going to fit the bill very nicely.

Ok, I apologize in advance for straying off-topic again, and I promise I won't do it again. Much.
    "Much" - made me grin.

- R.
    06-29-11 08:03 PM
    The difference in pictures is minimal. You want a great picture quality experience, splurge for some really pricey camera. If you are taking pix with phones, I highly doubt you are some serious photographer...
    I used to think that. Then I saw some of the pics my 14 year old niece is taking on her iPhone 4. She's a natural! If you've go the eye of a photographer, you can take good pics on that phone. If you don't (like me) then you can't, but spending more $ on a phone isn't going to change that.

- R.
    06-29-11 08:05 PM
    Only downfall to all the stuff is batt life!! Man if they get to the point where they could get good battery life....watch out!!!
    This is decent by Android standards.

Attachment 89359

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    06-29-11 08:17 PM
    The camera issue? My BB Torch has 5 MP camera, the exact same as an iPhone 4. Also up until the iPhone 4, previous iPhones had no flash cameras. 5MP is about standard for smartphones these days.

Many of the top Android phones have 8MP cameras though, which do take better pictures. I would like to see BB step up its game with 8MP cameras, but 5MP is adequate, not exactly a flaw. Its just nitpicking really.
    I used to think that. Then I saw some of the pics my 14 year old niece is taking on her iPhone 4. She's a natural! If you've go the eye of a photographer, you can take good pics on that phone. If you don't (like me) then you can't, but spending more $ on a phone isn't going to change that.

- R.

Are you all serious? There is no camera on a current BlackBerry that can hold a torch to the iPhone 4. And I'm not even taking into consideration the HDR function of the i4. There's no comparison in all honesty.

As others have said, it's not about the megapixels. It's about the lens, MP, & corresponding software. Pics taken with the absolute newest BlackBerry(9780) aren't 1MB in size. On the i4 however they are 2+ MB. Just goes to show the increased resolution. <--- Better Picture.....
    howarmat and DenverRalphy like this.
    06-29-11 09:00 PM
    Are you all serious? There is no camera on a current BlackBerry that can hold a torch to the iPhone 4. And I'm not even taking into consideration the HDR function of the i4. There's no comparison in all honesty.

As others have said, it's not about the megapixels. It's about the lens, MP, & corresponding software. Pics taken with the absolute newest BlackBerry(9780) aren't 1MB in size. On the i4 however they are 2+ MB. Just goes to show the increased resolution. <--- Better Picture.....
    How long before we see some iphone5 vs 9930 compare vids?!!!
    06-29-11 09:51 PM
    How long before we see some iphone5 vs 9930 compare vids?!!!
    You'll have to wait until the new iPhone is released. The camera in the 99xx is close(maybe equal to be fair/maybe) to that of the current i4. Thing is, the new iPhone's camera will be upgraded from the current model.

Either way, the camera in the 9900/9930 is definitely sufficient enough. Is it the best? No. But it doesn't have to be. That's what dedicated digital cameras are for. But to be fair, at the same time you can't compare apples to oranges yet cite another point because it's not in favor of a particular side. See what I'm getting at? And in no way am I talking to you directly. Just making a point. )
    06-29-11 10:30 PM
    OK, tech specs in megapixels between a Torch and iPhone4 are identical. camera lens might be a bit better on the iPhone4 and it uses more memory, differences are still minimal and only matter to tech geeks. For real photography, buy a high end camera.
    06-29-11 11:20 PM
    ...I also miss my PalmOS devices and Graffiti )
    You were saying something about Graffiti?

Attachment 89365

06-29-11 11:46 PM
    The iPhone 4 definitely takes some of the best photos I've seen in a mobile device. But what helps it a little is how clear/crisp the screen is upon viewing back photos.

I think the sensors on some of the Blackberrys are pretty great too. I think to really compare you have to view the photos on one medium for a fair comparison.

I recently checked out a comparison between the i4, Torch 9800, and HTC Evo. Even with the Evos 8mp camera over the 5mp of the other 2, it took the worst shots IMO. They were not as clear and sometimes had strange hues.

The Torch matched the i4 in some conditions and looked nearly as good. I actually feel Blackberry had the edge on the iPhone up until the 4 was released. The video on the iPhone 4 definitely obliterates any mobile device I've seen. The Playbooks looks as good/better so hopefully with that camera on the new BB7s and added HD video, we can see similar performance. I think where the iPhone 4 excels in its video is how smooth playback is. Other phones skip around and have sudden drops in framerate when there is fast motion.

I watched the 720p 9810 video engadget recorded and it looked pretty good. Some slowdowns in fast motion but I don't know how software may improve that. I will wait until release to judge completely but I think they will perform well.
    06-29-11 11:49 PM
    On the gps, whatever happened to Google maps on the Blackberry? I think it never moved over to OS5+

I really don't find that a BB works well as a nav. Maybe the Torch but I hated the balance on the Torch as well as the incomplete touch UI.

06-30-11 12:00 AM
    On the gps, whatever happened to Google maps on the Blackberry? I think it never moved over to OS5+

I really don't find that a BB works well as a nav. Maybe the Torch but I hated the balance on the Torch as well as the incomplete touch UI.

Google maps works fine on OS6 but blackberry maps have improved a lot in OS6 too.

06-30-11 12:30 AM
    I can do that on my BB, I have my Work Email, My Gmail, My Wifes Gmail and "KIDS Schedule". All of these are on my BB. All of the Gmail are also in my G -Calendar as well using the shared view in Gmail.
    Either they all get dumped to one of 2 BB calendars, or you're a magician. And if you're a magician, please share your tricks!

06-30-11 02:00 AM
    My Storm cannot open picture attachments in emails...But maybe thats a network or me being an ***** issue....Boy that would be nice though
    06-30-11 08:56 AM
    I'm catching a lot of crap for that post, and maybe this isn't the right thread for it, but I don't care. I do hope I'm in the minority and that a lot of people do want a do-it-all phone sporting a BlackBerry logo -- that's what all the experts have been saying. But I do know that there are others like me who like the functionality in the current BB's and just want it kicked up a little, and BB7 is going to fit the bill very nicely.

Ok, I apologize in advance for straying off-topic again, and I promise I won't do it again. Much.
    The purpose of this thread was to find out what Blackberry can't do. He listed them..
    The purpose wasn't to find out what works for you or if you need it.
    06-30-11 09:03 AM
    The two things that my BB does not handle well both have to do with email. First truncated emails(they drive me crazy) 2nd is not being able to have my gmail folders show up on my phone like on an iphone. If those two issues could be fixed on the 9930 that would be enough to hold me over until we get to see what QNX will have to offer!

06-30-11 09:13 AM
    The whole video chat thing with facetime was cool at first, but now I hardly use it. I do wish I could play Angry Birds and Words with Friends on my BB. However, sometimes I think if those were on my phone rather than my ipod I would play them too often as I don't always carry my ipod with me. Other than that I use BBM, Email, and Twitter more than anything. I love the physical keyboard.
    06-30-11 09:25 AM
    The two things that my BB does not handle well both have to do with email. First truncated emails(they drive me crazy) 2nd is not being able to have my gmail folders show up on my phone like on an iphone. If those two issues could be fixed on the 9930 that would be enough to hold me over until we get to see what QNX will have to offer!

Hmmm, go to gmail email icon, press menu, select filter and you'll see your gmail folders.

06-30-11 09:30 AM
    OK, tech specs in megapixels between a Torch and iPhone4 are identical. camera lens might be a bit better on the iPhone4 and it uses more memory, differences are still minimal and only matter to tech geeks. For real photography, buy a high end camera.

But see though, that's irrelevant. The point of this thread is to catalog ways the Blackberry models available can't do what android and iPhones can do. You can't just start explaining these things away when they're mentioned. A lot of the posts in this thread are about that.

"Android phones can be an FM radio."
    "So? Who would actually USE that?" Not the point IN THIS THREAD.

Turn off your need to defend Blackberry for JUST ONE THREAD people! YOU aren't a Blackberry. No one is saying YOU are inadequate...

-Stephen

howarmat likes this.
    06-30-11 12:03 PM
    Hmmm, go to gmail email icon, press menu, select filter and you'll see your gmail folders.

Hmmmmm it is still nothing compared to the way iphone does it
    06-30-11 12:19 PM
    Hmmmmm it is still nothing compared to the way iphone does it
    What's the difference other then showing the older emails?

06-30-11 12:48 PM
    ^^^On an iphone it's the same as if you were on a computer. Unless I am missing something that is nothing of the case with BB. Whats even the point of the filter anyways? I want to be able to get an email and move it to a different folder from my phone. As far as I know that can not be done on blackberry. I am doing that as I speak on an ipod touch.
    06-30-11 12:53 PM
123 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD