01-02-12 05:21 PM
135 ... 456
tools
    Well in my experience (obviously its limited to people I know and hence not a trend marker) most people who buy an iPhone or iPod end up slowly converting to another Apple product and another. I'm not denigrating them. Actually it makes sense for them to do so with iCloud etc ensuring that they have access to their own media etc across a multitude of devices.
    ICloud is a relatively new service. As someone mentioned before, one of Apple's perks is that it allows you to fully enjoy of of their products without owning another. No other device required.

I have a PB, after playing around with it for more than a week. It feels like something is missing because I don't have a BB phone. Things like e-mail take extra steps.

Very different than my experience with my HTC EVO phone or my iPad2.
    01-02-12 10:22 AM
    ICloud is a relatively new service. As someone mentioned before, one of Apple's perks is that it allows you to fully enjoy of of their products without owning another. No other device required.
    I am not 100% sure that is true, isn't it required for activation for some Apple products that iTunes be installed on a computer?
    01-02-12 10:33 AM
    I'm not suggesting that Apple products NEED andother Apple product. However everyone. Will agree that the experience is definitley more encompassing if you have multitude of Apple products.
    01-02-12 10:45 AM
    I am not 100% sure that is true, isn't it required for activation for some Apple products that iTunes be installed on a computer?
    I'm only an iPad user. But since the launch of iOS5. You no longer need to have iTunes on a PC. Your device is supposed to work right out of the box.

I haven't synced my iPad in 3 months. And when/if I do happen to lauch iTunes on my PC, all of my purchases from the iPad(music, books, apps) all begin download wirelessly from the cloud.
    01-02-12 10:47 AM
    I'm not suggesting that Apple products NEED andother Apple product. However everyone. Will agree that the experience is definitley more encompassing if you have multitude of Apple products.
    Not necessarily. Using books as an example; I have the Kindle app on both my EVO and my iPad. If I purchase a book on my iPad, when I 'refresh' Kindle on my Droid, the book is there and Vice versa. I can then choose which way I want to read it.

I don't purchase a great deal of music, one of the reasons the iPod never appealed to me, but I do watch a ton of movies and old TV shows so I have the Netlix app on both the Droid and the iPad.

Same with my documents. I have Doc-to-Go and GoodReader on both devices so if i want to get a doc from one to the other I just email to myself and save it.

For what I need them to do, none of my devices are in anyway dependent on each other.

Oh! I also have Apple TV it downloads my movies and the few songs I do have wirelessly from the Cloud and I listen through my TV.

I believe when Apple launches their TV set, hopefully this year, you will be able to access everything through the Cloud and even have Siri switch your channels for you.

I was never a Apple fan boy. I always hoped Palm OS would win out. But after owning an Apple device I had to admit to some fanboy friends that the in Cupertino know what they're doing.

I read Jobs' book and he talks over and over about the end-user's experience is what should drive innovation.
    Last edited by ADozenEggs@aol.com; 01-02-12 at 12:06 PM.
    01-02-12 11:05 AM
    How many here think that RIM will be ok in 2012 seeing as they will have no new phones coming out until late 2012?

But, aside from that, how long does RIM expect consumers to buy the current BB7 phones? And why would/should anyone if they know that the current phones won't be able to run BB10?

In my opinion, taking basically a 9 month break from releasing anything new makes it real easy for consumers to forget about you and check out the latest and greatest.

Of course, we don't know when BB10 will be released. It might even(though I doubt it) be released earlier than we're all expecting.
    The quote interspersed.

1. I do not think the market, even loyal BB users, would wait until late 2012 for anything new, let alone BB10.

2. RIM hyped too much about the BB10 (or QNX). They could not even get PB take advantage of whatever benefits QNX was supposed to provide.

3. RIM are much better of listening to the "present" beef from their users, and polish up BB7 devices, say, 9910, dropping their obsession on thinning the device, putting proper camera and a battery of at least 1500MAH capacity. That alone would make the 9900 far more useful device.

4. I would not say that the QNX/BB10 would be a pipe dream, but observing recent behaviours of RIM, I would not bet much on it at this point. There is no way it can "leapfrog" competitions if one exercise common-sense. Uttering "leapfrogging competitions" actually insulted users' intelligence. There is only so much anyone can do in massaging small handheld devices. A handheld device is a handheld device. It cannot run industrial plants just because QNX could. It would be reasonable to assume that competitions are probably ready for the "next step", whatever it may be. Unless RIM really step up their innovations (rather than always uttering defensive excuses), they will always be steps behind competitions and keep playing "catch-up" game.

I have a 9790 and am reasonably satisfied with it for what it is designed for. BBOS is different from iOS or Android and has its own unique advantages. Why don't they polish and improve on it for now? If they tried to compete with other giants on the same ground (touch screen, dual core and all that), they will be easily crushed, UNLESS they also offer some kind of eco-system that will benefit users beyond just the hardware (more useful apps, cloud storage or whatever else). RIM currently does not have it.

I believe what RIM need now is the restoration of user confidence. In 2011, they kept breaking it by irresponsible over-promising. I, for one, am not looking at QNX/BB10, and would be so much happier if RIM would come up with improved version of the current lineup. This will also help regaining user confidence. I enjoy 2 different platforms now and have far less concern if RIM would survive or not, but it would be a different story for long time loyal BB fans.
    01-02-12 11:44 AM
    Apps. We've been over this on the board before many times. But have you noticed that many airlines, grocery stores, restaurants, banks and services and even governments have apps for their customers now? Some support 3 or 4 platforms, but most support just two now. American customers are starting to notice that, others will too if RIM doesn't get developers back quickly.

I was at a museum in London this summer that had an absolutely gorgeous photography app that you could download as you were leaving. Of course it only supported iPhone and Android. Not even a mention of Blackberry.

These are the types of things that RIM customers will miss as developers lose interest in the platform. And again, this is why BB10 is so important.

And hardware accessories have just started. The last several hotels where I've stayed have iPod/iPhone radio docks conveniently next to the bed. My car has an iPhone connector in it, and my apps even display on screen now. My last car had an iPhone connector and could control the iPhone playlists from the steering wheel.

I have an app that alerts me when my children forget to brush their teeth or take their vitamins in case we ever forget to ask (monitors the tray that hold their brushes). I have an app to quickly (couple of taps) tape a game or TV show from the bus if I forget to do so. Again, the service I use doesnt support blackberry, just Android and iPhone. Same decision taken by my bank, every restaurant I go to, the local farmer's market, the local Chipotle, the buses here, airport transportation, the parking system, and even the Internal Revenue Service.

We're working on a beautiful app for tourists to NY right now. And another app for in-store purchases as a major retailer. Neither client has even asked us about blackberry. The working assumption is we'll discuss that with them after we see how BB10 goes. Oddly enough, we are doing a Windows 7 version because Microsoft has a promotion deal with them.

So this is what I mean by compatible. Every time a user sees a sign that says "download our app to save waiting in line here" or "download our app to use this great feature we built for you", they have to look at the their BB phone and say "oh, right, that won't work with my phone".
    Amen on the bolded above. I am shocked whenever I hear that an app will work with my BB.
    01-02-12 01:03 PM
    Yes. Non-iOS iPods, which don't support on-device purchasing, require iTunes, but none of the other products do. The iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad no longer require iTunes as of iOS 5, be it for activation or software updates.
    01-02-12 01:41 PM
    Yes. Non-iOS iPods, which don't support on-device purchasing, require iTunes, but none of the other products do. The iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad no longer require iTunes as of iOS 5, be it for activation or software updates.
    Last summer at WWDC, they said that 70% of iPad sales in China are to people who don't even own a PC or Mac of their own.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    01-02-12 02:08 PM
    Yes. Non-iOS iPods, which don't support on-device purchasing, require iTunes...
    Google iPod without iTunes for dozens of alternatives.

Also keep in mind that non-iOS iPods are a dying line of business for Apple and not a focal point of development. To say the least.
    01-02-12 05:21 PM
135 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD