I imagine Vertu doesn't hire many talented engineers looking to invent the next best thing.
    Also, it would be hard for Vertu not to be profitable with ~$1,000 USD phones with specs and hardware from two years ago.
    LazyEvul and TGR1 like this.
    06-23-15 05:04 PM
    As far as I know, nope. Every Android phone is rootable. HTC made the best attempt to stop rooting by hardwiring it into their hardware but hackers still found ways around it. Unfortunately, we all have to accept Android for what it is, an unsecured platform. Use it with a grain salt and accept the fact or you shouldn't be using Android at all.
    A rootable phone is not necessarily an insecure phone, at least not in absolute terms anyhow. It's an exploit, but the typical root procedure is far from trivial. It requires physical access and the ability to unlock the phone. If those two conditions are met, your data is already in danger regardless of any system vulnerabilities - why break down the door when you've got the keys to the place?

If an attacker can gain root permissions without satisfying those conditions, that might be worth worrying about. But that's different to the typical rooting procedure, a lot less common, and not exclusive to Android.
    mornhavon and sentimentGX4 like this.
    06-23-15 06:04 PM
    Also, it would be hard for Vertu not to be profitable with ~$1,000 USD phones with specs and hardware from two years ago.
    From Wiki: "In 2006, the most expensive model it had ever made was the Signature Cobra, at �213,000 (~$310,000)"

Eep! It's a good business if you can spin it, I suppose.
    06-23-15 06:13 PM
    Who wants to buy a samsung?

600 million Samsung Galaxy phones exposed to hackers

600 million Samsung Galaxy phones exposed to hackers - Jun. 17, 2015
    Apparently 600 million people want to buy a Samsung.

How many BlackBerry handsets were sold in the last 3 months on a planet with over 7 billion people? Oh right, 1.1 million.
    06-23-15 07:21 PM
    Apparently 600 million people want to buy a Samsung.
    Lol.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-23-15 08:13 PM
    They own the company that made a secure Android tablet. Anyway there was nothing in the call positive about BlackBerry 10 devices. Anyone who thinks Chen really wants BlackBerry handset hardware to survive is delusional and not paying attention to what Chen says and does.

Posted via Z30
    Witmen and sentimentGX4 like this.
    06-23-15 09:04 PM
    Great news! Awesome!. I love the BB10 os in my BlackBerry. Only BlackBerry yeah!

  
    06-23-15 10:31 PM
    No, Android with Google services can never be secure. Google services eavesdrops on the phone like crazy. The Facebook app is also one hell of a spy app. I have deleted Facebook on my Blackberry for good measure.

The only way as I see it, that you can make a secure Android is to throw out Google services and have Android like Cyanogenmod or something. Android by Google is probably the most insecure OS of them all when it comes to eavesdropping.

BTW, Have you seen the new user agreement in Windows Phone? Holy ****. There you can read what they collect and store. Basically everything. They could have done a short version of it and just state that "we collect and store as much of your personal data as we can".

I really hope that Blackberry gives up on this Android track because it is a dead end. Blackberry should value their niche instead. Vertu is profitable so why shouldn't be possible for Blackberry to be that?
    Interesting points.

Posted via CB.10 on my  Z10
    06-23-15 11:05 PM
    Lol... oh come on people. He's only saying that because his internal Android development team is several quarters behind schedule... and so he's setting up the story line so that they can use 'difficult to secure' as an excuse when they finally release something running honeycomb in 2017.

Otherwise, what was all that talk about the Samsung Knox collaboration. Clearly they know how to 'secure' it (to a certain extent that satisfies most users).

Honestly,.. right now they're probably learning how to make a drop down menu in Android,... I'm sure they'll get to replicating the Hub in no time.

Lol.

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm and dannykavs like this.
    06-23-15 11:16 PM
    Hmm, here is some food for thought. Say for a moment, that he actually says that he plans to bring android devices to market.

What effects with that happen on the sale figures of current market BB10 devices? If you thought they were bad before, after an announcement you would see a possible drop in BB10 sales. Why go for a BB10 device with a limited ecosystem when I can wait a few months more for an a berry android phone? With qwerty even.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines and look beyond the typical PR speak. No competent CEO would dare mention any ongoing android development as that is akin to sending the current line up of BB10 devices to slaughterhouse as it were.

Not to say that is what is going on, but sometimes no means yes (not always tho, depends on the age of consent JKKK)
    randall2580 likes this.
    06-24-15 12:18 AM
    I know what he said. What he said is, "this rumour that reuters put out". Lol
    You cant make android or apple secure, so that will be like, never going to see an android BB. Sorted!
    06-24-15 01:11 AM
    I know what he said. What he said is, "this rumour that reuters put out". Lol
    You cant make android or apple secure, so that will be like, never going to see an android BB. Sorted!
    You do realize that a BB10 device not on BES, is NOT any more secure than an iPhone or android phone. My Bold 9900 was more secure than my Z30 for crying out loud.

So what does that say about consumer BB10 phones and the whole security mantra? Android can be secured and BBRY is the one of the few who has the security know how to make it a reality
    jay64 likes this.
    06-24-15 02:03 AM
    Here is my view on this topic.

BlackBerry wants to be recognized as a security oriented company, and Android is famous for being the least secure mobile OS today. Remember that super secure Android Blackphone that was rooted in five minutes...

For me, this is like trying to mix water and oil. It is not a good strategic idea.

On top of that, if BlackBerry wants to build an Android powered phone, it has to be high end and adequately priced. There is no way to try to sell something mid-range and with a BlackBerry logo and Android OS.

And if BlackBerry builds a high end, why not release it with BlackBerry 10?

Entering the fight in the Android world is a lost battle. Take a look at some big names like HTC or Sony, struggling to make some money from their devices, and they do not have the bad brand perception BlackBerry has today among consumers.

If BlackBerry wants to keep the hardware business, they have to focus in the main problems:

- Brand perception. Today people still see BlackBerry as those slow devices with tiny screens and physical keyboards. It is perceived as something old, outdated and unreliable (yes). Something has to be done here.

- Ecosystem. If BlackBerry wants to focus in the enterprise world, try to build an enterprise oriented ecosystem. It is not worth competing with Google or Apple and those enormous application catalogues. They have to be a niche player. And make people know it.

- Hardware. 99% of the phones are full touch. I have been a PKB user for many years, but since I tried the VKB, I don't want anything else. They have released a high end PKB phone, but nothing for the majority of BlackBerry 10 users that are on full touch. I don't know why BlackBerry does not release what people is requesting.

Again, I think Android is a very bad idea for the future of BlackBerry.

Regards.
    DonTonyB, thymaster and Allanon89 like this.
    06-24-15 03:06 AM
    Because it's not secure, according to Chen.

It's clear Chen is trying to avoid the question directly in case it bothers any devoted Android fans and says they are solely focus on continuing making their own secure phones.

Posted via CB10
    or avoiding the question because he isnt ready to reveal that BlackBerry are releasing an android device.

I reckon if they werent he would out right say no... why would he ponder on the implications? his hesitation in just saying no means there is something huge android style coming our way.

of course he might be defending also because BB's are running a very nice android run time allowing us to run those apps..

aaaaa who knows.
    06-24-15 04:00 AM
    So basically to round up what was said.

BlackBerry is open to making a Android Device for their hardware business

BlackBerry Will Only make a Android Device if they can find a way to make it as secure as their current BB10 OS

So, if they find a way, they will make one. Which means they are currently working on a Android device but unless it's secure enough they won't release it.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    06-24-15 06:21 AM
    So, if they find a way, they will make one. Which means they are currently working on a Android device but unless it's secure enough they won't release it
    If you read "Losing the Signal", the way it really works is that the CEO decides he wants an Android handset by the end of the year and assigns a team (or a contractor) to work on it. Then it is released whether it is secure enough or not. (reference - Blackberry Storm)
    06-24-15 06:50 AM
    I know rooting may become a security risk, but for 99.5% of the people it presents no risk whatsoever. On laptops you have the ability to use a Linux liveCD and access the file-system directly and this still hasn't made them obsolete.

Rooting requires physical access to the device. So the only real applicability of rooting as a security vulnerability is when you phone is stoles specifically for gaining access to your private information through some weird root exploit. Considering over 99% of phones are stolen for money (not for the information in them) and will most likely be factory-reset-ed, I don't consider the ability to root a phone such a scary security risk.
    06-24-15 07:08 AM
    As far as I know, nope. Every Android phone is rootable. HTC made the best attempt to stop rooting by hardwiring it into their hardware but hackers still found ways around it. Unfortunately, we all have to accept Android for what it is, an unsecured platform. Use it with a grain salt and accept the fact or you shouldn't be using Android at all.
    But what does rooting a devcie get you....

But what does rooting get you if a device is managed by BES or another EMM?

From a personal standpoint that devices would be accessible, but from what I've read a rooted device loses all access to the secure container.
    06-24-15 07:11 AM
    Never going to happen,he laughed off the assumption and only said that IF BB were to make one ,ect... IF is a small word that means a lot ,right,Jokers only evade the questions they have to ,to survive!! Innovate or else,Passport is a great example,5 Star phone!
    Example of why BB is in the shape it is now. Keep doing the same thing over and over. And failing.

Time for a change at BB. . Time for new customers!

Via my HTC One M9...
    06-24-15 07:13 AM
    My guess after watching his Bloomberg interview...they are definitely working on an Android device. He clearly states in that interview ' they are looking into it '

My take on this after having seen many John Chen interviews, he simply does not want to say anything until the Slider release date is closer...which is going to be end of the year and between now and then we will slowly but surely get more info along the way about it.

I also think that's the sole reason why the Slider got delayed. I think Slider was supposed to launch by the summer but this whole Android thing has delayed things to end of the year.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 07:17 AM
    Watch the Bloomberg interview where Chen slips and says the BlackBerry is "working" on an Android device.

People who insist that no Android device is coming are really in deep denial.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 07:45 AM
    If Blackberry and Samsung were able to create a secure tablet, then why they wouldn't be able to create a secure phone. the thin would be the cost, since the tablet is $3,000.
    06-24-15 07:45 AM
    Watch the Bloomberg interview where Chen slips and says the BlackBerry is "working" on an Android device.

People who insist that no Android device is coming are really in deep denial.

Posted via CB10
    Yup... kinda funny actually.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 07:47 AM
    Can you ever make the open source Android secure? Is that possible?
    No open source is secured. Meaning that no android phone by BlackBerry�. JC just trying to be polite and didn't want to make android users upset.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.680
    thymaster and newfie1974 like this.
    06-24-15 07:50 AM
    If you read "Losing the Signal", the way it really works is that the CEO decides he wants an Android handset by the end of the year and assigns a team (or a contractor) to work on it. Then it is released whether it is secure enough or not. (reference - Blackberry Storm)
    What they do is redefine what they meant by 'secure.'

Chen has been doing this all along with his spiel about how the 'most secure' option is BES managing BB10 devices, but that 'for most other users' BES managing Android and iOS devices is 'good enough'.

He'll read from the same script when they have an Android device that performs mildly ok.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 07:50 AM
115 1234 ...