I viewed that comment as the complete opposite of OP's perspective, sounded much more like confirmation that it's been / being worked on than not.
    Same here. If Android were off the table, the boilerplate reply would have been, "We have no plans to produce an Android phone. All BlackBerry handsets will continue to run BB10 for the foreseeable future." Chen didn't say anything like that. On the contrary, he said if they can make Android secure, they'll go with it. That's not what you say if you're not working on it.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    06-25-15 07:26 AM
    I haven't looked into this for very long time, but I remember that the permissions of an app can be silently "extended" without any further notification to the user. And there were numerous cases of spying apps (like for example certain Torch apps)

For me this is some sort of "legal" hacking of app users and one of the main reasons to stay away from Google Play Service and its apps.
    Apps that require new permissions after an update, notify the user that they need so. you can't sneak new permissions into an app without the user knowing.

about torch apps: yes there were some that did that, but such an app requiring access to contacts and other sensitive permissions should have been a big NO flag. Also a lot of users on ALL platforms just accept all the permissions anyway (I call it the "just click the next button" syndrome). you think all BB10 users are careful with their permission settings? all the security measures in the world can't replace a little common sense.

Informed users on each platform can stay clear of viruses/malware with just a little bit of attention.
    06-25-15 08:33 AM
    Same here. If Android were off the table, the boilerplate reply would have been, "We have no plans to produce an Android phone. All BlackBerry handsets will continue to run BB10 for the foreseeable future." Chen didn't say anything like that. On the contrary, he said if they can make Android secure, they'll go with it. That's not what you say if you're not working on it.
    I took it to mean exactly what he said, if they can make a secure Android phone they will sell it:

BlackBerry, Samsung SecuTablet Offers Security For Business, Government Data - InformationWeek

Boeing turns to BlackBerry for help creating super-secret, self-destructing 'Black' smartphone | ZDNet

So you know what a BlackBerry secured Android phone and tablet look like. I don't know what all the uncertainty is about. BlackBerry has already been involved in this. It is pretty clear to me where they are at corporately with Android. What Chen said simply re-enforces that.
    06-25-15 08:39 AM
    Apps that require new permissions after an update, notify the user that they need so. you can't sneak new permissions into an app without the user knowing.

about torch apps: yes there were some that did that, but such an app requiring access to contacts and other sensitive permissions should have been a big NO flag. Also a lot of users on ALL platforms just accept all the permissions anyway (I call it the "just click the next button" syndrome). you think all BB10 users are careful with their permission settings? all the security measures in the world can't replace a little common sense.

Informed users on each platform can stay clear of viruses/malware with just a little bit of attention.

I just googled it and this was one of the first hits:

Play Store Permissions Change Opens Door to Rogue Apps - XDA Forums

I do not always follow the latest announcements from Google, but each time I take a look at Android I think it is still not for me.
    I even don't want to waste my time with thinking if an app should have certain permissions or not.

Appr. 40 of the 50 apps on my Z10 still work even though I didn't accept the requested permission.
    The other 10 need the permissions, and it is clear that for example a music player won't work without access to my files, so in all cases it's a clear and fair game on BB 10.

What all other users do is less relevant for my decision.
    There are some great apps available in AppWorld and compared to Google Playstore it is much more privacy friendly.
    06-25-15 09:10 AM
    sure...why not! Chen can't even fix the "crop" issue, BB is very much secure than the Google (Android)!
    Cropping normal pictures is working fine, BUT when we set some OS wallpapers as homescreen or lockscreen, the crop doesn't align automatically. Small issue, but should have happened in a BBOS.
    06-25-15 09:15 AM
    Well, with QNX I believe BlackBerry can build secure Android phone. Uses BlackBerry secure software outside the box while Android software inside the box. Just like we use firewall to protect internet infrastructure. It workable since QNX is some kind of embedded software.
    06-25-15 10:32 AM
    You must be kidding, or never met any security/hack group.
    Hacker with proven BB10+BES exploit would be instant millionaire and star.
    They try, but they know they really have a dismal chance to find - if any - the breach.
    Where you're right is that it's so easy on other platforms that we're flooded every weeks with exploits.

Funny, this reminds me the apple "no virus" story ... but I believe you're lost in the translation.
    Your inclusion of BES in the millionaire analysis above makes the comparison different. I'm sure hackers and researchers do often test BES and other suites designed to more fully secure a standard smartphone (but I would venture to guess they would be much more interested in iOS or android + BES.)
    06-25-15 12:50 PM
    You can add a BB10 encrypted device alone. They tried too.
    And when BES10 went through security tests, BB10 devices were alone in the field.
    It's not by chance BB10 devices had the FOC agreement.

In the scenario iOS/Android, only the containerized apps/data should be mentionned.
    06-25-15 01:25 PM
    End of the day, JC is leading a business organization that follows a certain ethic and philosophy while delivering products conforming to those parameters. They still have to make money and being smart businessman JC will not openly smack the door close on a community of 90% users. I don't see any admission or denial in whatever he said and his IF has left the game wide open that can swing either way. IF the end result is certain that they will make more money they might consider it. But everything is big IF at this point of time.
    I personally feel, JC don't really care two hoots about making any android device in near future because he is busy boosting profits from software, licences and enterprise solutions. So much so that their own hardware sales are taking a back-seat. It will be foolish to even try and reinvent the wheel all-over again, for a low end android device in face of Chinese dime a dozen devices.
    06-25-15 02:17 PM
    Or at least investigating or experimenting...
    :-D

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-25-15 05:20 PM
    I think what many of us are wondering is if a BB OS will exist in any fashion other than in an Android spin, if they are successful in their experiment. I'm pretty certain that the answer will be no.
    06-25-15 05:49 PM
    The only way Blackberry phones can survive is with apps, and hardly anyone is making BB10 apps. The best OS with zero apps will never gain traction against an inferior OS with a thriving ecosystem.

Full access to the Google Play store is the only thing that will save the device division. BB10 is a technological success but a commercial failure. Chen said the app problem will be addressed by the end of the year, so there are major changes coming.
    06-25-15 09:12 PM
    Chen said the app problem will be addressed by the end of the year, so there are major changes coming.
    Yes... throw out the Android runtime... problem solved..

So There You Have It, No Android BlackBerry...-looks-fine-me.jpg

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-26-15 05:55 AM
    If you want your phone to have Google services, you're vulnerable. No way around it.
    Vulnerable to what?

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 12:07 AM
    I don't believe a phone is secure unless chained to your wrist. I keep nothing vital on the fone. I don't care for the bbOS lack of applicability (i.e. Secure... No native apps to view my 2 camera security systems). Most of what I use is messaging (not BBM), email, browser, & then 40+ apk without which I could not use this device.
    06-28-15 06:16 AM
115 ... 345