Because it's not secure, according to Chen.

It's clear Chen is trying to avoid the question directly in case it bothers any devoted Android fans and says they are solely focus on continuing making their own secure phones.

Posted via CB10
    HesSoStrange likes this.
    06-23-15 02:07 PM
    I thought he said if they could make it secure.

Posted via CB.10 on my  Z10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-23-15 02:09 PM

Big if...
    Irish Blues and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-23-15 02:10 PM
    Big if...
    A BIG if.
    brian4591 and Xenolock like this.
    06-23-15 02:11 PM
    did he confirm no Android or is it just an assumption?
    06-23-15 02:11 PM
    If he emphasize the "if"? Is he capable of making a non rootable phone?

Big if...

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 02:13 PM
    Well one thing we know is that "IF" it could be done, BlackBerry will be the one.

06-23-15 02:16 PM
    Who wants to buy a samsung?

600 million Samsung Galaxy phones exposed to hackers

600 million Samsung Galaxy phones exposed to hackers - Jun. 17, 2015
    brian4591 likes this.
    06-23-15 02:20 PM
    He was implying that when it does come out, it will be secure. You don't say that if you aren't working on an Android handset. And by secure, he means it's connected to their enterprise software and is able to run their Android apps.
    06-23-15 02:26 PM
    Never going to happen,he laughed off the assumption and only said that IF BB were to make one ,ect... IF is a small word that means a lot ,right,Jokers only evade the questions they have to ,to survive!! Innovate or else,Passport is a great example,5 Star phone!
    thymaster likes this.
    06-23-15 02:34 PM
    Lol. If anything, he reinforced that it's on the table and working on it so if anything, further backup the rumors!!! He's being coy though as to how far they are and if they have cracked it and how the intend to release it to the public.
    06-23-15 02:39 PM
    He didn't want to talk about it.... but said if he could secure Android then he would do it. And the way I see it if the US DoD DISA is deploying Android devices, it must be securable.

All of which makes sense, if he doesn't have the BlackBerry Experience ready and there is going to be a MAJOR shift in the hardware division... he really can't go the next 6 months with even fewer hardware sales. Which an announcement of the end of BB10 would certainly create.

Chen said he wasn't emotional about phones that this was a business... He also said they have a roadmap and that were a "couple" of phones coming at the end of the year.
    06-23-15 02:39 PM
    Almost like a YES to me. Otherwise he would have denied.

Posted via CB10
    boi2012 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    06-23-15 02:46 PM
    John Chen also said a while back that he'd only keep the devices business IF it could be profitable.
    This leaves open a lot of possibilities, I don't see any door opening or closing with his statements.

Not an encouraging number of devices sold though..... :-(
    06-23-15 03:03 PM
    Chen's approach was Yes and No, depending on future strategies and needs for BB.
    Supa_Fly1 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    06-23-15 03:10 PM
    A BIG if.
    Not big enoughthat's what she said

IF
    06-23-15 03:17 PM
    Not an encouraging number of devices sold though..... :-(
    Not surprising when his main focus has been on BES and other software revenue.
    He mentioned a turn towards growth, so maybe that means a turn to better marketing, starting with the T-Mobile Passport Internet sale.
    06-23-15 03:23 PM
    Not surprising when his main focus has been on BES and other software revenue.
    He mentioned a turn towards growth, so maybe that means a turn to better marketing, starting with the T-Mobile Passport Internet sale.
    He has "talked" about hardware growth for over a year now... the Classic was suppose to be a big seller, that it didn't sell at least a million devices on it's own is a failure from what he "talked" about. What I got was he was going to make hardware profitable, and that he was going to reallocate a bunch of resources away from hardware.

If you have a division in trouble that has been cut and cut, and you cut a bunch more from it... not sure how it is suppose to perform better.
    06-23-15 03:37 PM
    Rumor rumor rumors.
    06-23-15 03:40 PM
    Can you ever make the open source Android secure? Is that possible?
    06-23-15 03:47 PM
    He has "talked" about hardware growth for over a year now... the Classic was suppose to be a big seller, that it didn't sell at least a million devices on it's own is a failure from what he "talked" about. What I got was he was going to make hardware profitable, and that he was going to reallocate a bunch of resources away from hardware.

If you have a division in trouble that has been cut and cut, and you cut a bunch more from it... not sure how it is suppose to perform better.
    By having a third party take the brunt of the cost of development and getting it to manufacturing.
    06-23-15 03:48 PM
    What I take from his comment is that they are working on it and have yet to find a way to make Android secure.
    06-23-15 03:58 PM
    As far as I know, nope. Every Android phone is rootable. HTC made the best attempt to stop rooting by hardwiring it into their hardware but hackers still found ways around it. Unfortunately, we all have to accept Android for what it is, an unsecured platform. Use it with a grain salt and accept the fact or you shouldn't be using Android at all.

Can you ever make the open source Android secure? Is that possible?
    newfie1974 likes this.
    06-23-15 03:58 PM

No, Android with Google services can never be secure. Google services eavesdrops on the phone like crazy. The Facebook app is also one hell of a spy app. I have deleted Facebook on my Blackberry for good measure.

The only way as I see it, that you can make a secure Android is to throw out Google services and have Android like Cyanogenmod or something. Android by Google is probably the most insecure OS of them all when it comes to eavesdropping.

BTW, Have you seen the new user agreement in Windows Phone? Holy ****. There you can read what they collect and store. Basically everything. They could have done a short version of it and just state that "we collect and store as much of your personal data as we can".

Link: https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/l...vacy-statement

I really hope that Blackberry gives up on this Android track because it is a dead end. Blackberry should value their niche instead. Vertu is profitable so why shouldn't be possible for Blackberry to be that?
    Last edited by AluminiumRims; 06-24-15 at 12:00 PM.
    thymaster and GeekOnTheHill like this.
    06-23-15 04:00 PM
    I really hope that Blackberry gives up on this Android track because it is a dead end. Blackberry should value their niche instead. Vertu is profitable so why shouldn't be possible for Blackberry to be that?
    I imagine Vertu doesn't hire many talented engineers looking to invent the next best thing.
    21stNow and anon(5990673) like this.
    06-23-15 04:49 PM
115 123 ...