Enjoy man.....Like my Sig???
    10-18-11 02:53 PM
    Hahah that's great.

My posts bring death threats.
    10-18-11 02:55 PM
    did a great job in giving us more things to look forward to but again, nothing concrete, the had enough time to do give us something. Very dissapointing, and if they want to hide behind the argument that it's a developers conference, they can but it's a big dissapointment so far in my book. well, maybe blackberry world will have some new stuff
    10-18-11 02:56 PM
    I just saw they announced BBX. Not bad.
    10-18-11 03:00 PM
    I just saw they announced BBX. Not bad.
    right so you can figure it's probably what? 13 months away from being released?
    10-18-11 03:01 PM
    Hahah that's great.

My posts bring death threats.
    Great Sig Idea....just saying
    10-18-11 03:02 PM
    What is incredible is this Apple has their Intro of the iP4S and BB fans are all over our jocks and talking some serious smack and RIM devcon is a snorefest and yet BB fans still defend the co-boneheads........
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-18-11 03:04 PM
    The hi-lited items most people already knew about. Even non-devs. I think the Citrix demo was good. Pretty much everything was kinda blah - coming strictly from an end-user.

But what this all shows me is that RIM doesn't know how to save their own ***. They had a lot of negative press, even BEFORE the "Outage-Gate". Yes, the conference is targeted at Devs, but RIM had the stage with all eyes on them. They should have had some release dates, some "early-look" glimpses of next-next-gen stuff (like a quick tease). They should have talked about what the new hardware will be able to do, so that devs could get a jump on building apps, or even just IDEAS for apps. They should have had some of the independent devs, maybe the top few, come up on stage and say a few words to bolster confidence in RIM, I guess aimed at devs who do not currently write for BB.

Thank you, though, for your list. Honest. It's good for us end-users to see this through someone else's eyes.
    RIM didn't know the outages were coming, and to spend this week trying to slap together something would have been messy

RIM clearly needed to push the points we knew about being enthusiast again since Developers who might be interested in the platform might not know, people who didn't watch BB World, and the Fact that HTML 5 apps made today for BBOS 6,7,X devices will work across all devices was an announcement they needed to make to the developer community!

I hope that RIM will show us a sneak peak at some stuff after they've gotten the developers into the break out sessions they need them in, you don't want all the developers clamoring around a new tech toy and leaving all your break out sessions empty and not putting the information in peoples hands, I would hope day 3 gives us some dates, or a sneak peak at a device.

They NEED to get the developers educated at this event, that is a NEED
    grover5 likes this.
    10-18-11 03:13 PM
    Great Sig Idea....just saying
    Haha. We'll see. If it ever happens again I'll add it.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-18-11 at 03:18 PM.
    10-18-11 03:16 PM
    The hi-lited items most people already knew about. Even non-devs. I think the Citrix demo was good. Pretty much everything was kinda blah - coming strictly from an end-user.

But what this all shows me is that RIM doesn't know how to save their own ***. They had a lot of negative press, even BEFORE the "Outage-Gate". Yes, the conference is targeted at Devs, but RIM had the stage with all eyes on them. They should have had some release dates, some "early-look" glimpses of next-next-gen stuff (like a quick tease). They should have talked about what the new hardware will be able to do, so that devs could get a jump on building apps, or even just IDEAS for apps. They should have had some of the independent devs, maybe the top few, come up on stage and say a few words to bolster confidence in RIM, I guess aimed at devs who do not currently write for BB.

Thank you, though, for your list. Honest. It's good for us end-users to see this through someone else's eyes.
    Hmmm...I'd say the negative press was largely unwarranted but not completely unjustified. Big mistakes were made, I'll leave it at that as to not bring up dead horses.

I don't know about release dates, this conference should allude to hardware but not focus on hardware unveiling. That kinda blurs the purpose of the DevCon if you ask me. And as for early glimpses, we are seeing them a lot already from TAT to Adobe to Gameloft we're seeing what the pros can do with some of the tools RIM has given. From what I can see it looks pretty good and a lot of Devs will leave with ideas for good apps.

So about hardware.....I'm hearing a lot about hardware.

I'm not sure how to effectively articulate this but, new hardware becomes irrelevant when programming architecture utilization for current-state hardware and new hardware is not explored to its fullest.

Let me try that again.... The known bar in terms of app development right now is somewhat low unless you're a large experienced company. If the starting/small/indie developers cannot effectively utilize and program with the existing and upcoming tools for current and upcoming hardware, then giving them better hardware will not make their apps/programs better then they are currently. Sure new hardware is faster, more ram, bigger screen, etc, but if your idea for an app is just two lines and a floating dot it doesn't matter what hardware you have, it will not be "quality" in the current App market. (grossly exaggerated example but you get my point)

I agree in that they should get some independent devs up there, but maybe the fact that they aren't up there highlights the importance for this event. To draw, inspire and support Devs towards BBX.

The new hardware should be announced soon, but this is not "conference" specifically for it. That being said, maybe we'll all be surprised. At the very least, I'm comforted to know that RIM is taking significant steps to address the issues that have kept a lot of Devs away.

Cheers to that.
    10-18-11 03:50 PM
    How about showing off the phone you said you were going to so DEVELOPERS have something to look forward to developing on besides your 6mo tablet that shipped 200k units last quarter. To me that shows developers your commitment

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 03:54 PM
    That was the most underwhelming event I've ever seen. And that makes me pretty sad. When it was time for me to upgrade, I had an 8530 and could have gone Android or iOS. This was just a couple of months ago. I hemmed and hawed, then decided to stick with BB and got the 9930. And I really love this phone.

But after today's extremely lackluster event, I'm starting to question my loyalty and RIM's future. They had so many eyes on them today, and could have really got themselves back in the game, but they flopped. Nothing came out today that will be spread across FB, Twitter and tech blogs. Nothing. BBX? Already knew it. BBM integration? Already started. Android player? See where I'm going with this?

I still love my 9930. I'm not hating on RIM. Just so disappointed.
    Are you a developer. If not then you are supposed
    --to close your eyes
    --shut your ears

Also temporarily suspend any expectation from any RIM event and just know that RIM is the best that there was, there is and there ever will be.
    10-18-11 03:58 PM
    How about showing off the phone you said you were going to so DEVELOPERS have something to look forward to developing on besides your 6mo tablet that shipped 200k units last quarter. To me that shows developers your commitment.
    RIM never said any such thing. To quote directly from their earnings call in September:

The development platform for QNX phones will be presented in more detail at DevCon in October, and prototype phones featuring the QNX operating system and development platform will be available in the not too distant future.
    Research in Motion Ltd RIMM Q2 2012 Earnings Call Transcript

People twisted that into "RIM will be showing off the QNX phone at DevCon." However, that was never the truth.
    10-18-11 04:08 PM
    What did you expect? When was the last time RIM had an event that blew someones mind? I can't recall one. Even the Playbook unveiling was so so because of its shortcomings.
    10-18-11 04:15 PM
    How about showing off the phone you said you were going to so DEVELOPERS have something to look forward to developing on besides your 6mo tablet that shipped 200k units last quarter. To me that shows developers your commitment

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well said! They need to take the loss and just let that Playbook RIP. It brings nothing to the table and the average consumer doesn't want it or care for it. I really hope for RIM's sake they are not gambling their future well being on the Playbook.

They need to debut new devices in the handheld mobile arena PERIOD.
    10-18-11 04:26 PM
    Im confused admittedly it wasnt as much of an event in terms of revelations but the current line and even the last line of BlackBerries are already ahead of the latest iPhones from a communication point of view, theyre innovating and bringing a fantastic new OS to the future phones and theyve showcased how they can harness one of the worlds biggest app stores plus driven home the fact that the BlackBerry App Store reaches more of the world than any other store and manages more downloads and profits for developers therefore highlighting the fact that theyre growing in the untapped markets that are being turned off by Apples false promises and lacklustre products and that there is life beyond the United States. We're also told from tomorrow we get 100 dollars of free apps. What more could people realistically ask for?
    10-18-11 04:32 PM
    Well said! They need to take the loss and just let that Playbook RIP. It brings nothing to the table and the average consumer doesn't want it or care for it. I really hope for RIM's sake they are not gambling their future well being on the Playbook.

They need to debut new devices in the handheld mobile arena PERIOD.
    Lots of people think the Playbook blows away the iPad in many ways, and lots of enterprises are in the process of integrating it into their businesses/hospitals/etc. The best thing that happened today was RIM reinforcing its commitment to the Playbook.
    10-18-11 04:34 PM
    Kind of funny to read people saying that the event isn't over and more announcements may come. When has that ever happened? Also, to everyone saying this is a dev conference and no one should expect device announcements, please remind me where the playbook was announced?

I do think some folks let some false expectations get to them. Just like with iPhone 4s a lot of disappointed folks wanted the 5 with bigger screen, lte etc. In this case rim did make some significant announcements particularly where they are showing devs how to bridge bb6/7/x. That is a big one. Getting devs on board with bbx now is critical. A bbx device should not be announced until CES in January or BB world in May. And it should be flawless. Let's not forget that they just launched the BB7 devices. They can't pull a Motorola and announce the next product a few weeks after that.

Yes Dev Con is somewhat underwhelming. But if you expected something earth shattering that is really on you.
    10-18-11 04:53 PM

I see your point. I was originally thinking "Hey its only day one give them time", but considering all the negative press this would have been the perfect time to leave everyone speechless.
    10-18-11 04:56 PM
    Nothing really new came out of it that hadn't been leaked already, but I'm excited and hopefully for BBX (or, as I prefer, the more tastey name of BBQ)
    10-18-11 05:24 PM
    RIM has so much to worry about, it must be really hard to focus on making EVERYTHING a success vs. just a few events. However, I do wholeheartedly agree that there's a lot that needs to be changed.
    10-18-11 05:37 PM
    I thought it was a good first day. The app future looks great to me, and that is a need for the platform. I love my playbook so I'm glad to see how much development is going on and I'm glad to see the encouragement for OS 7 app development. I think they were smart and focused. There was no over selling. They showed off the changes they have made for the app development environment, highlighted the single Os for tablet and phone, and generally displayed some very impressive functionality of the platform.

I'm happy with it. But I just bought a 9900 which I completely love and have been using a Playbook for 6 months which I completely love. So I am a happy customer excited to see RIM focus keenly on their app development and their culture change. The change in culture is as exciting as anything else. I feel better about their future after today.
    10-18-11 05:42 PM
    I would have loved to have heard mention of 7.1. It would give us some hope that they really aren't instantly abandoning BBOS.

Also, BBX must be quite a ways off if no estimated release period for the official launch was given.
    10-18-11 05:45 PM
    No toy comments yet?
    why do you post here?
    10-18-11 05:52 PM
    Ut oh this ought to be fun to watch......
    10-18-11 05:53 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD