That was the most underwhelming event I've ever seen. And that makes me pretty sad. When it was time for me to upgrade, I had an 8530 and could have gone Android or iOS. This was just a couple of months ago. I hemmed and hawed, then decided to stick with BB and got the 9930. And I really love this phone.

But after today's extremely lackluster event, I'm starting to question my loyalty and RIM's future. They had so many eyes on them today, and could have really got themselves back in the game, but they flopped. Nothing came out today that will be spread across FB, Twitter and tech blogs. Nothing. BBX? Already knew it. BBM integration? Already started. Android player? See where I'm going with this?

I still love my 9930. I'm not hating on RIM. Just so disappointed.
    Last edited by decypher44; 10-18-11 at 01:02 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-18-11 01:00 PM
    Are you a Developer?

This was a Developer event, and really showcased what RIM is trying to do to make it easier for developers, PLUS what they did with the inbox visualization actually impressed me,

I'm excited for things to come, and am really hopeful for BBX
    10-18-11 01:08 PM
    Well to RIM's defense. (Wow I am defending RIM) this IS a developer conference. Remember RIM isn't Apple and Apple isn't RIM. When Apple does a WWDC they also add in new product announcements.
    10-18-11 01:11 PM
    The even isn't over. I'm hoping there's something in the second half.

If not that, then something tomorrow or later on. Maybe they're waiting for Google to finish their even before they want to do their thing.

Or maybe they're just not releasing any info til Europe DevCon? (Feb 2012).
    10-18-11 01:12 PM
    Are you a Developer?

This was a Developer event, and really showcased what RIM is trying to do to make it easier for developers, PLUS what they did with the inbox visualization actually impressed me,

I'm not. So, when is BBX released? I think I missed a lot of the release dates. I was sharing my morning with following along and working.
    10-18-11 01:12 PM
    This is a developer conference which is about tools and services for developers. It's not an "announce new products" conference.
    10-18-11 01:18 PM
    I thought their whole mantra was that games were for adolescents and non-sophisticated tech consumers, "Amatuer Hour is Over" and all that. Seemed like they talked an awful lot about the great games coming to their platform.
    Chrisy and Rickroller like this.
    10-18-11 01:23 PM
    No toy comments yet?
    10-18-11 01:24 PM
    The even isn't over. I'm hoping there's something in the second half.

If not that, then something tomorrow or later on. Maybe they're waiting for Google to finish their even before they want to do their thing.
    Maybe next week, maybe next month, maybe by the end of (next) summer..pRomises In Maybe's
    10-18-11 01:24 PM
    No toy comments yet?

They did an amazing job of highlighting the gaming potential of the PlayToy.

How's that?
    10-18-11 01:26 PM
    No toy comments yet?
    Ok AVT and they call the iPad a n iToy. Since you have this jam thing for RIM the playbook is officially dubbed a PB&J.....
    10-18-11 01:31 PM
    Honestly, the first day hasn't even finished and everyone is already screaming "fail!" This is a multiday event, that's suppose to be for developers. If you don't get EXACTLY what you want you'll leave? Give me a break! Nobody responds to threats so why should RIM? People want the best stuff announced now, now! NOW!....so they can pack it up and skip the rest of DEVcon? Yeah, that's exactly how the organizers wanted to set it up.

Be patient, be reasonable, and stop being self-righteous ingrates!

This doesn't apply to trolls baiters and muck rakers, you guy are suppose to be like this.
    10-18-11 01:32 PM
    Nowhere did I say I was leaving.

And, again, what are the release dates? What were the big, exciting news bits that developers can take from the keynote and why? Honestly curious as I am not a developer.
    10-18-11 01:34 PM
    Ok AVT and they call the iPad a n iToy. Since you have this jam thing for RIM the playbook is officially dubbed a PB&J.....
    PB&J! Love it!
    10-18-11 01:47 PM
    So is every partner and featured developer Dutch or something?
    10-18-11 01:50 PM
    Are you a Developer?

I guess you missed Balsillie saying that the OS updates would all be held off and rolled up into one big update "demonstrated at devcon and released thereafter". That had no air of exclusivity about it regarding developers. That was for OS improvements and new 'anticipated features'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 01:57 PM
    They did an amazing job of highlighting the gaming potential of the PlayToy.

How's that?
    Thank you for the contribution.

lmao PB&J! That can work for marketing!
    10-18-11 02:02 PM
    I guess you missed Balsillie saying that the OS updates would all be held off and rolled up into one big update "demonstrated at devcon and released thereafter". That had no air of exclusivity about it regarding developers. That was for OS improvements and new 'anticipated features'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I guess DevCON is over right?
    10-18-11 02:04 PM
    Thank you for the contribution.

lmao PB&J! That can work for marketing!
    I should trademark it.........
    10-18-11 02:12 PM
    I guess DevCON is over right?
    It might not be over..but you would think Day 1 is the day to pull out all the stops and get media buzz happening..thus keeping interest for the following days. But RIM has never been good at creating any type of buzz..so I guess this isn't surprising.
    The_Engine likes this.
    10-18-11 02:12 PM
    Nowhere did I say I was leaving.

And, again, what are the release dates? What were the big, exciting news bits that developers can take from the keynote and why? Honestly curious as I am not a developer.
    I wasn't mentioning you specifically. I apologize if it seemed like I was.

Just in general there's been a notable backlash of negativity and disappointment from members of this board, and some gloating and condescension from those who really have no reason to be here other then to do just that.

As for the exciting news bits,
    so far
    -the confirmation and scope of BBX
    -Native SDK so devs have actual tools to use to make their apps
    -Scoreloop SDK
    -Commitment to WebGL and HTML5
    -Blackberry Balance. As a way to balance the productive work functions with the consumer play aspects.
    -Showcased the Citrix Reciever and the potential it has for Devs
    -OS 2.0 Beta Registration for anyone but specifically for Dev's to get a head start on developing
    -Free Flash Builder 4.5 for all attendees
    -Blackberry Jam, a dev community and knowlege base support initiative to help new and existing dev's. Very important for aspiring developers.
    -A plethora of tools and demo's to reinforce that developing for the BBX platform will not only be easier but also profitable.

Yes, there's a lot of showcasing of Apps. But this is a conference to demonstrate and provide developers with a reason as to why they should be developing for the playbook.

I say, good start so far for RIM. People who are disappointed really do NOT know what the DevCon was suppose to be about.

I have a sinking feeling there's a few "reporters" at the conference who also came to this with similar misconceptions.

Anyways there's more to come so how about we all not make conclusions until after the 20th ok?
    Last edited by Houshinto; 10-18-11 at 02:18 PM.
    10-18-11 02:16 PM
    I should trademark it.........
    It could be profitable.
    10-18-11 02:23 PM

As for the exciting news bits,
    so far
    -the confirmation and scope of BBX
    -Native SDK so devs have actual tools to use to make their apps
    -Scoreloop SDK
    -Commitment to WebGL and HTML5
    -Blackberry Balance. As a way to balance the productive work functions with the consumer play aspects.
    -Showcased the Citrix Reciever and the potential it has for Devs
    -OS 2.0 Beta Registration for anyone but specifically for Dev's to get a head start on developing
    -Free Flash Builder 4.5 for all attendees
    -Blackberry Jam, a dev community and knowlege base support initiative to help new and existing dev's. Very important for aspiring developers.
    -A plethora of tools and demo's to reinforce that developing for the BBX platform will not only be easier but also profitable.
    The hi-lited items most people already knew about. Even non-devs. I think the Citrix demo was good. Pretty much everything was kinda blah - coming strictly from an end-user.

But what this all shows me is that RIM doesn't know how to save their own ***. They had a lot of negative press, even BEFORE the "Outage-Gate". Yes, the conference is targeted at Devs, but RIM had the stage with all eyes on them. They should have had some release dates, some "early-look" glimpses of next-next-gen stuff (like a quick tease). They should have talked about what the new hardware will be able to do, so that devs could get a jump on building apps, or even just IDEAS for apps. They should have had some of the independent devs, maybe the top few, come up on stage and say a few words to bolster confidence in RIM, I guess aimed at devs who do not currently write for BB.

Thank you, though, for your list. Honest. It's good for us end-users to see this through someone else's eyes.
    Chrisy and dynot like this.
    10-18-11 02:39 PM
    It could be profitable.
    Trademark and Pull an Apple

Hows FL?
    10-18-11 02:43 PM
    Trademark and Pull an Apple

Hows FL?
    Haha, unless Apple is already on that!

Going good. Went to House of Beer last night and tried out some really great drinks. Today I've been doing some work around the house but now I'm inside because we are about to get Stormed on.
    10-18-11 02:51 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD