Saw this tweet today from Russell Simmons (who has 2.2 million followers and is an avid Blackberry user). Looks like he has a BB10 device already!

So RIM is FINALLY reaching out to celebs for BB10??-1.jpg

12-11-12 01:37 PM
    Seems to be the case! Don't know who Russell is but seen few cricketers wowing about blackberry 10 on Twitter today

Sent from the awesome Sony xperia S
    12-11-12 01:53 PM
    Wonder who will be next?
    12-11-12 01:55 PM
    They are back is right
    12-11-12 02:00 PM
    I have no problem with them using celebrities but I do not want a repeat of the Oprah/Surface debacle. Let it be celebrities that truly use and love the brand. Russell Simmons is a perfect example of who they should contact, he only switched to the iPhone recently and only because his daughter finally convinced him to and he didn't like it.
    12-11-12 02:03 PM
    Seems to be the case! Don't know who Russell is but seen few cricketers wowing about blackberry 10 on Twitter today

He's a music mogul. Highly respected in music and fashion. He founded Def Jam with Rick Rubin, and his brother is Rev Run from RUN DMC

Russell Simmons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-11-12 02:04 PM
    I have no problem with them using celebrities but I do not want a repeat of the Oprah/Surface debacle. Let it be celebrities that truly use and love the brand. Russell Simmons is a perfect example of who they should contact, he only switched to the iPhone recently and only because his daughter finally convinced him to and he didn't like it.
    Completely agree.
    Gelzz likes this.
    12-11-12 02:04 PM
    He's a music mogul. Highly respected in music and fashion. He founded Def Jam with Rick Rubin, and his brother is Rev Run from RUN DMC

Russell Simmons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks mate. I am unaware of these bands but a music mogul promoting it is terrific.

12-11-12 02:07 PM
    Ceo's use blackberrys simple as that it just a beastly tool espcially if you getting mail frequently its just a beast. Didnt his brother Rev simmons tweet he misses blackberry keyboard?Hit him up next RIM.BB is just dead to regular folk it aint dead in corporate business world.

BB is now a full rounded phone does'nt no longer cater to business only now its all rounder ipeopel will be back BB will be back on the throne.
    12-11-12 02:11 PM
    I wonder if he is going to be one of the people that will have the phone for a day to do something like in that leaked promo video.
    12-11-12 02:20 PM
    I wonder if he is going to be one of the people that will have the phone for a day to do something like in that leaked promo video.
    That would be really cool
    12-11-12 02:27 PM
    Like I posted in the other locked thread - now we need either Charlie Daniels, Hank Jr. or Toby Keith for my demographic - although they don't get photographed at games, shopping, landing at airports, etc as much as the hippity-hoppity crowd . . . .
    travaz and ctuffy like this.
    12-11-12 02:28 PM
    Simmons is a long-time BB user. He's very successful and influential and makes an EXCELLENT celeb endorser.
    shemaree09, Ray UM and 00stryder like this.
    12-11-12 02:34 PM
    Byonce and sheryl cole are blackberry fans. Maybe they should be next
    12-11-12 02:36 PM
    I wonder if he has the N series or a keyboard version.. I remember he didn't like typing on a touchscreen.
    12-11-12 02:36 PM
    Some good ones would be, athletes, Arnold for one. Some famous people in music as well.
    12-11-12 02:42 PM
    This guy tries to put a negative slant on the celebrity tweets, suggesting it may be illegal. The article does mention three celebs from the UK as well as what they tweeted:
    Is RIM using stealth advertising to promote BlackBerry 10 on Twitter? | Digital Trends

--As the launch date for BlackBerry 10 gets ever closer, so Research in Motion needs to promote its new operating system even harder. Its latest play is on Twitter, where it may be using stealth advertising techniques to get the word out.

Research in Motion is in the final stages of BlackBerry 10�s preparation, as there�s only a little over six weeks to go until the launch event, and therefore promotional activity is nearing fever pitch. It has done a good job of providing us with snippets of information to keep us interested so far, but what about those who don�t keep up with tech news?

RIM has been hard at work pushing BlackBerry 10 through its social media accounts, particularly on Twitter, where it has been retweeting comments related to the new OS and its charms. But these aren�t just attention seekers saying they can�t wait for it to be released, but those who have a degree of stature in the �real world� and to whom a private demonstration has obviously been given.

The general Research in Motion account isn�t the culprit however, it�s the official BlackBerry UK account. Those being retweeted aren�t tech moguls, but those who BlackBerry probably feels are relatable or trusted individuals. Here are a couple of examples. Sky News presenter Eamonn Holmes� tweeted, �Just had a sneak preview of the new BlackBerry 10�Apple beware!� on December 4 and later expanded on what he was so impressed with, �Camera, predictive keyboard, apps, size and quality of screen, battery life, lack of a rollerball and lots of tricks.� Sounds like an extensive test there, Mr. Holmes.
    High praise for BB10

Another news reader, Jamie Shepherd, was retweeted by BlackBerry UK after saying, �Got a preview of the new BlackBerry 10� I�m officially going to lose sleep until that shiny, beautiful thing is mine.� He also told a follower what was so great, �does so many clever things, rewind time in photos etc.� Not the most detailed of explanations. He�s referring to a feature RIM demonstrated during a BlackBerry 10 event earlier this year, where an almost video-like burst mode lets you select the perfect moment in a stills picture. Finally, this morning England cricketer Kevin Pieterson, who has long been associated with BlackBerry, said simply �BlackBerry 10 looks amazing!�

Between these three alone, RIM ensured BlackBerry 10 was mentioned to nearly 1.4 million people, which it then retweeted to around 100,000 of its own followers. It�s all high praise too, and none of the comments are singled out as sponsored endorsements. Research in Motion needs to be careful though, as the Office of Fair Trading in the UK takes a dim view of companies not disclosing whether this type of promotion has been paid for or not, calling it deceptive advertising. The Advertising Standards Agency received many complaints earlier this year when a series of Nike marketing tweets from footballers didn�t include #ad or something similar. They were subsequently deemed to have breached the advertising code. Athletes were also warned to disclose sponsorship on Twitter ahead of the 2012 Olympics too.

If you�re wondering why the U.S. based Research in Motion Twitter account isn�t busily doing the same, it�s because U.S. law on the subject of sponsored tweets is clear � it must include �ad� or �spon� to indicate the tweet has been paid for � while law in the UK is far less clear. So, is RIM using stealth advertising on Twitter in the UK? The fact Pieterson, Shepherd and Holmes all sent their tweets using either Twitter or UberSocial for BlackBerry may tell you all you need to know.--
    Wiltunscir likes this.
    12-11-12 03:13 PM
    Seriously, if RIM can be held in contempt for having a Celeb tweet about BB10 then maybe we should also ban all celeb endorsements altogether.
    I'd actually be all for it but there's no way the marketing gods will ever accept it.

It's funny. If it's about Apple or now Samsung it's just accepted, but from RIM? it must be paid, deceptive, promotional advertising. Yeah great double standard there.

How about not everybody thinks BB10 is too late, will fail, not good enough etc.? Bloody 'ell
    12-11-12 03:25 PM
    Actually, that was Russels brother Rev Run that switched recently to an iphone because his daughter convinced him. But yeah, I don't think he liked it too much.
    12-11-12 03:30 PM
    meh, a few weeks ago stephen fry (@stephenfry) tweeted he`d had a go on BB10 and liked it. https://twitter.com/stephenfry/statu...95802682159104

Thats over 5million followers in one tweet before any retweets also of great note is his very outspoken love for apple, the fact he`s saying anything about BB is a very good thing.

As for what he tweeted it from? well twitter kindly hides that now lol, although i `think` i remember seeing it was from an idevice
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    12-11-12 03:39 PM
    This guy tries to put a negative slant on the celebrity tweets, suggesting it may be illegal. The article does mention three celebs from the UK as well as what they tweeted:
    Is RIM using stealth advertising to promote BlackBerry 10 on Twitter? | Digital Trends
    If you’re wondering why the U.S. based Research in Motion Twitter account isn’t busily doing the same, it’s because U.S. law on the subject of sponsored tweets is clear – it must include “ad” or “spon” to indicate the tweet has been paid for – while law in the UK is far less clear. So, is RIM using stealth advertising on Twitter in the UK? The fact Pieterson, Shepherd and Holmes all sent their tweets using either Twitter or UberSocial for BlackBerry may tell you all you need to know.--
    I know that the UK has some fairly extensive regulation about "stealth" advertising in general (remember, the BBC made The Kinks change "Coca-Cola" to "Cherry Cola" in the song Lola because you couldn't refer to a specific brand--only one of many, many examples).

I don't think it's wrong of RIM to use this at all. For one thing, it's a good way to reach its current customers (BB users are over-represented on Twitter). If they're not paying for the endorsement, such tweets shouldn't be considered "sponsored". In fact, these endorsements are totally legit because they're coming directly from the celebs themselves. Think about it: if they weren't impressed, and didn't think BB10 was a good product, why would they attach their own name to it?
    zyben likes this.
    12-11-12 03:41 PM

--As the launch date for BlackBerry 10 gets ever closer, so Research in Motion needs to promote its new operating system even harder. Its latest play is on Twitter, where it may be using stealth advertising techniques to get the word out.

Research in Motion is in the final stages of BlackBerry 10’s preparation, as there’s only a little over six weeks to go until the launch event, and therefore promotional activity is nearing fever pitch. It has done a good job of providing us with snippets of information to keep us interested so far, but what about those who don’t keep up with tech news?

RIM has been hard at work pushing BlackBerry 10 through its social media accounts, particularly on Twitter, where it has been retweeting comments related to the new OS and its charms. But these aren’t just attention seekers saying they can’t wait for it to be released, but those who have a degree of stature in the “real world” and to whom a private demonstration has obviously been given.

The general Research in Motion account isn’t the culprit however, it’s the official BlackBerry UK account. Those being retweeted aren’t tech moguls, but those who BlackBerry probably feels are relatable or trusted individuals. Here are a couple of examples. Sky News presenter Eamonn Holmes’ tweeted, “Just had a sneak preview of the new BlackBerry 10…Apple beware!” on December 4 and later expanded on what he was so impressed with, “Camera, predictive keyboard, apps, size and quality of screen, battery life, lack of a rollerball and lots of tricks.” Sounds like an extensive test there, Mr. Holmes.
    High praise for BB10

Another news reader, Jamie Shepherd, was retweeted by BlackBerry UK after saying, “Got a preview of the new BlackBerry 10… I’m officially going to lose sleep until that shiny, beautiful thing is mine.” He also told a follower what was so great, “does so many clever things, rewind time in photos etc.” Not the most detailed of explanations. He’s referring to a feature RIM demonstrated during a BlackBerry 10 event earlier this year, where an almost video-like burst mode lets you select the perfect moment in a stills picture. Finally, this morning England cricketer Kevin Pieterson, who has long been associated with BlackBerry, said simply “BlackBerry 10 looks amazing!”

Between these three alone, RIM ensured BlackBerry 10 was mentioned to nearly 1.4 million people, which it then retweeted to around 100,000 of its own followers. It’s all high praise too, and none of the comments are singled out as sponsored endorsements. Research in Motion needs to be careful though, as the Office of Fair Trading in the UK takes a dim view of companies not disclosing whether this type of promotion has been paid for or not, calling it deceptive advertising. The Advertising Standards Agency received many complaints earlier this year when a series of Nike marketing tweets from footballers didn’t include #ad or something similar. They were subsequently deemed to have breached the advertising code. Athletes were also warned to disclose sponsorship on Twitter ahead of the 2012 Olympics too.

If you’re wondering why the U.S. based Research in Motion Twitter account isn’t busily doing the same, it’s because U.S. law on the subject of sponsored tweets is clear – it must include “ad” or “spon” to indicate the tweet has been paid for – while law in the UK is far less clear. So, is RIM using stealth advertising on Twitter in the UK? The fact Pieterson, Shepherd and Holmes all sent their tweets using either Twitter or UberSocial for BlackBerry may tell you all you need to know.--
    What a joke
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-11-12 03:52 PM
    My take on the article is that "paid for" tweets should be labeled as such, whether it be from RIM or any company trying to promote a product. I agree with this. RIM got singled out in this article, but so did Nike. As for if there was bias against RIM, then did the author also check to see if Apple or Samsung do the same thing, or did they hash tag #ad #spon appropriately. It's not a general criticism against celebrity endorsements, just labeling an ad as an ad.
    12-11-12 04:35 PM
    My take on the article is that "paid for" tweets should be labeled as such, whether it be from RIM or any company trying to promote a product. I agree with this. RIM got singled out in this article, but so did Nike. As for if there was bias against RIM, then did the author also check to see if Apple or Samsung do the same thing, or did they hash tag #ad #spon appropriately. It's not a general criticism against celebrity endorsements, just labeling an ad as an ad.
    Scott disick is always tweeting links to where you can "buy this cool iphone case like i have. Click here!". No mention of ad.
    12-11-12 04:40 PM
    Perhaps the Pope got a tweet account to promote bb10. he has reached 1 billion followers before his first tweet.

(not being serious)
    12-11-12 05:04 PM
63 123