Well, since I only restart it once every 2-4 weeks, I'd call this a non-issue
    I restart mine daily via meterberry at 4am while i'm sleeping. There have been only a handful of times where i've needed to reboot my berry during normal hours of usage.
    03-01-10 01:02 PM
    The one thing i would REALLY love is the screen size and browser from the iPhone. I love the browser on my iPod touch compared to my BB. But its probably a good thing I don't have a better browser because i'd always be online compared to now where i'm online only at home/work.
    03-01-10 01:04 PM
    I remember when I went to the verizon store to buy my blackberry. I had already done my research and knew which phone I wanted. I just wanted a hassle free shopping experience. When I got there, they were pushing the Droid and in the half hour I was there to get my blackberry, they must have tried to talk me into the droid no less than a dozen times. I don't like touch screen so it was already off my list period.
    I think the Iphone guy and the verizon guys are the same, they make more off of those phones and that is their hottest phone. Not everyone wants the hottest gadget just because it is. Honestly, if I hadn't already been in the process of setting up my new BB, they would have lost my sale around the time the third person tried to talk me into the Droid. I understand that they have to push their biggest or newest seller, that's sales, but when someone is in the middle of purchasing they should stop. As far as the Iphone, I don't purchase many Apple products, kid has an Ipod, most of them don't work where I live because they rely on AT&T. Even if they did work here, I wouldn't purchase them because there are many things I don't like about the company. I do however, think its great there are Iphones, Droid, etc phones out there so BB will continue to make better phones and Apps. Competition is great for all.
    03-01-10 01:08 PM
    What happens if the iphone falls in to water, can you take the battery out real quick to MAYBE avoid disaster. Oh wait you can't. How about multi tasking can it do that?
    Yes, the iPhone can multi-task. You have to jailbreak it to do it...which takes 5 seconds at most. The best one is called ProSwitcher. I have a 3GS and 9700 and the 3GS is better than the 9700.
    03-01-10 01:35 PM
    Yes, the iPhone can multi-task. You have to jailbreak it to do it...which takes 5 seconds at most. The best one is called ProSwitcher. I have a 3GS and 9700 and the 3GS is better than the 9700.
    But as I recently learned....when you jailbreak you become more vulnerable to viruses and outside hacks....so that's a risk some folks are not willing to take.

Unless there is a way to deal with that vulnerability....so...is there a workaround for a jailbroken phone so that it is not more vulnerable to attacks?
    03-01-10 01:49 PM
    But as I recently learned....when you jailbreak you become more vulnerable to viruses and outside hacks....so that's a risk some folks are not willing to take.
    That's if you decide to use SSH. If not, there's no problem.

Don't know what "viruses? have arisen from being jailbroken. Outside hacking,
    yeah.

SSH is no longer necessary anyway. Was just a way to access the phone
    in a "mass storage mode" on a PC. iphonefolders fixed that problem.
    Jailbroken or not.
    03-01-10 01:55 PM
    Well it's not even that I don't like the iphone...it's being tied to that bloated itunes software. I like to just drag and drop whatever the **** I want whenever I want onto my 9700. The iphone is "cool" is just prefer the BB.
    03-01-10 02:02 PM
    Its scary. All of the sales reps in the store I go to here used to have blackberry. Two had an 8900, the rest had 9000s. Now they all have iPhones and anytime I have to go into the store they all swear its the best thing since sliced bread lol. I simply mention I need my phone to last more than half of my workday and they shut up lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 02:03 PM
    You should not have to jailBreak your phone to get multi-tasking. Plus i would not recommend jailbreaking to anyone. I had my iphones ( had 3 of them) jailbroken and it really starts to slowdown your phone after sometime. Also tends to freeze more and KILLS your battery (using ProSwitcher) Also if it takes you 5 seconds to jail break your phone imagine how long it will take anyone to affect your phone or get your since you already past the security for them
    JailkBreaking is not a good solution trust me. The iphone is a great device use it like it's made to be used. If you really need multi tasking look into getting a phone that has that native.
    And what makes the 3Gs better then the 9700?

03-01-10 02:04 PM
    Lol, no one hacks the iPhone! There has only been one time when Apple got worried and they released an update veryyy quickly. But other than that, the iPhone is safe. Of course, security is better on the Blackberry, but the iPhone is fine for now. And viruses on the iPhone? Haha, this is Apple we're dealing with...iPhone OS and Mac OS...Apple computers/devices rarely get viruses.
    Lol? I may not be an iPhone expert, but this much I know...the jailbreaking process itself *is* a hack.
    As far as "no one hacks the iPhone!" I would suggest your read recent news of such an event, not over six months ago.
    And remember, I mentioned a jailbroken phone, not one out of the box from Apple.
    03-01-10 02:12 PM
    First off I had the 16Gb 3GS... And second if it was built for it then why did you Jailbreak it to get it ...Please think before you post and confirm with me what information i gave that is false? I just said that people should not JailBreak there phones.... there are risks involved with that

Round of applause for you for having all 3... You must be proud

You clearly didn't have a 3GS! That phone is BUILT for multitasking. It doesn't slow down AT ALL. And ProSwitcher DOES NOT kill your battery. I've had the 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation iPhone. So, please stop stating false information!

Google and find out. I don't work for AT&T, perhaps you should ask a salesman. Stick with your 9700. I like both devices, but prefer the 3GS.
    03-01-10 02:17 PM
    I don't use my BB for business. I like how the BB functions and it suits me fine. It is a personal choice. I wanted more out of capabilities and I am very pleased with my BB
    03-01-10 02:19 PM
    By hack, I didn't mean jailbreak. By hack, I meant attempting to corrupt the iPhone OS and make it non-functional. And that event you are talking about, Apple released an update immediately afterwards.
    No, by hack I meant someone gaining access to a jailbroken phone. Exactly the situation you stated above.
    An Analysis of the iKeeB (duh) iPhone botnet (Worm)
    New iPhone worm steals banking codes, builds botnet - Cybercrime & Hacking - ComputerworldUK
    Are Mobile Botnets in Our Future?

And jailbreaking is in itself a hack. I'm thinking about an iPhone and had heard how wonderful it is to jailbreak it in order to get it to do the things that it cannot do out of the box. Fine, OK - but not at the expense of damaging the security that Apple put there in order to avoid this kind of thing. Yes, you're right....Apple products are much better than anything else if left untouched. But to say that a jailbroken iPhone, which was hacked, cannot be hacked, is something that doesn't quite ring true.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-01-10 at 02:29 PM.
    03-01-10 02:19 PM
    Here we go.....
    03-01-10 02:20 PM
    I'm done with this debate. At the end of the day, it comes down to preference. I just don't like when people are biased towards one phone and attempt to degrade the next one when the 9700 is NOT perfect...by any means. I love the 9700 and 3GS.
    03-01-10 02:25 PM
    First off I had the 16Gb 3GS... And second if it was built for it then why did you Jailbreak it to get it ...Please think before you post and confirm with me what information i gave that is false? I just said that people should not JailBreak there phones.... there are risks involved with that

Round of applause for you for having all 3... You must be proud

Uummm...yeah....
    03-01-10 02:32 PM
    I had 2nd gen (2 times since i had to return it for some issues) after that got the 3gs
    And from my experience it DID slow down and freeze my phone up. So i don't know where you get "false information" from. And once again if the phone was made to handle it it would have been on the iphone from the get go.
    So no the Iphone 3GS is not made to handle multi-tasking.
    Like i said the iphone is great device..... I just don't agree with JailBreaking it.

Maybe you should research before you post.

By built, I meant, the iPhone 3GS is well capable of handling multitasking if Apple would have incorporated it in the software.

False information:

Which iPhones did you have? 1st, 2nd or 3rd Gen? The 3rd doesn't slow down at all.
    Last edited by TheBBman; 03-01-10 at 02:36 PM.
    03-01-10 02:33 PM
    I'm done with this debate. At the end of the day, it comes down to preference. I just don't like when people are biased towards one phone and attempt to degrade the next one when the 9700 is NOT perfect...by any means. I love the 9700 and 3GS.
    I did not say the 9700 is perfect. The very fact that I'm considering a 4G is because I find the browser in the 9700 to be subpar in relation to the iPhone, whose Safari browser is unparalelled.

If I were biased, I would not admit to the 9700's deficient browser. But neither can I overlook the jailbreaking hacking process.
    03-01-10 02:35 PM
    The Bold is the right choice. I almost got the iPhone, but I read that they are so sensitive to water that you are SOL if you try to get it repaired or traded for another, because the water sensors are easily tripped and will not be accepted by Apple geniuses (geniui?)

Also, you are stuck with the battery and cannot replace it when it goes dead after repeatedly being charged. You have to spend a C note just to get a new battery replaced in the unit.

Finally, using the iPhone with AT&T is comparible to putting a 800 lb. gorilla in a bird cage.
    Last edited by bronco_fan; 03-01-10 at 05:02 PM.
    03-01-10 05:00 PM
    Ummm Civic, BesX came out today.
    And you still have to pay "extra" money for it for both the software and licenses. Doesn't change anything... cheaper then BES, but still not free... which ActiveSync IS.
    03-01-10 05:11 PM
    Just a nitpicky thing here. You may not have seen the commercial the poster's talking about. In the commercial, the person WAS on hold with some automated voice saying stuff like "the next available representative will be with you shortly" & it showed the guy paying bills & playing games while he waited ON HOLD.
    Exactly... the person on the other line (i.e. not the person holding the iPhone) was NOT put on hold. Who's nitpicking now?
    03-01-10 05:13 PM

Unless there is a way to deal with that vulnerability....so...is there a workaround for a jailbroken phone so that it is not more vulnerable to attacks?
    That's if you decide to use SSH. If not, there's no problem.

Don't know what "viruses? have arisen from being jailbroken. Outside hacking,
    yeah.

SSH is no longer necessary anyway. Was just a way to access the phone
    in a "mass storage mode" on a PC. iphonefolders fixed that problem.
    Jailbroken or not.
    I'm always amazed how people think something all of a sudden is unsecure no matter what just because some people are too stupid to change the default password on SSH or simply turn off SSH when they're done with it.
    03-01-10 05:18 PM
    Regrettably that stupidity is one of the facts of life, the speed the worm spread through targeted iphone users proved that point. Default password on iPhone, blank (or trivial) administrator passwords for Windows, download and execute an unknown app from unknown source if it is described as "latest leak OS" ... the list is endless.

Unfortunately the iPhone jailbreak and the root process for Android (Droid) both depend on loopholes in the core code. IOW, security bugs - and where there is one bug there are usually more waiting to be found.
    03-01-10 06:23 PM
    First off I had the 16Gb 3GS... And second if it was built for it then why did you Jailbreak it to get it
    And why do people need to install leaked BB OSs and hybrids? Theyre EXACTLY the same principle as youre arguing against jailbreaking. Why should YOU need to fix the PHONE'S problems? You dont, both are just fine without the "fixes" but you gain more doing it!!! And both can be removed if need be to get warranty service.

This "you shouldnt need to jailbreak" is an old excuse for iphone haters. Its basically *****-proof with the new tools (one click). You also shouldnt need to install a hybrid or leaked OS to fix crucial bugs in the OS too on BB. Total FUD argument towards the iphone though, if you wanna jailbreak then do so youre chances of hurting the phone are so minute its not worth mentioning.

On viruses- You can ONLY get a virus on the iphone right now if you installed SSH, left it on all the time, and didnt change the stock password. First, most users shouldnt be tinkering with SSH if they dont even want to jailbreak for fear of doing something to the phone. Second, if youre dumb enough not to change your default password, then you deserve a virus. You wouldnt leave a stock password on your voicemail or computer (if it came with a stock password to login), so why would you on your phone!?! Third, theres no reason to leave SSH always on even if you do need it installed (which 99% dont unless you know what youre doing). Thus, theres VERY little chance of getting a virus for the average jailbreaker.

BESX- only good if you have a server. It doesnt help the average individual user or small business owner. You still have to shell out for a server/PC, install Windows Server OS, and then leave it constantly running. Great for medium business where BES was to expensive, but its another niche product. The general individual consumer is still suffering without full email features. RIM shouldve just made this a hosted service and called it a day, since all other platforms do these things like Exchange out of the box with nothing extra needed. Its not a BIS replacement.

As others have said, the iphone is as much of a business device as any other. Just because it does more or has good games doesn't mean its some toy, thats an idiotic analogy. It does every feature any other smartphone can do, sure it doesnt multitask 3rd party apps, but if that changes in 4.0 in a few months, whats left to bash? It does contacts, calendar, FULL email (html, Echange, Gmail, folders, contact/calendar sync, etc with NO extra fees or server BS), camera, video, documents. What else makes a "business" phone exactly? Sounds like a cop out answer by iphone haters.

In fact it does some things much better than BB. Im not going to name them all because theyve already been discussed. But it comes down to preference, and hating on one or the other is kind of stupid in the end because theyre all good smartphones for different people.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-01-10 at 06:47 PM.
    03-01-10 06:39 PM
    And why do people need to install leaked BB OSs and hybrids? Theyre EXACTLY the same as jailbreaking. And both can be removed if need be to get warranty service.

This "you shouldnt need to jailbreak" is an old excuse for iphone haters. Its just as bas as "you shouldnt need to install a leaked OS or hybrid" to fix bugs line. Total FUD.

On viruses- You can ONLY get a virus on the iphone right now if you installed SSH, left it on all the time, and didnt change the stock password. First, most users shouldnt be tinkering with SSH if they dont even want to jailbreak for fear of doing something to the phone. Second, if youre dumb enough not to change your default password, then you deserve a virus. You wouldnt leave a stock password on your voicemail or computer (if it came with a stock password to login), so why would you on your phone!?! Third, theres no reason to leave SSH always on even if you do need it installed (which 99% dont unless you know what youre doing). Thus, theres VERY little chance of getting a virus for the average jailbreaker.
    You're forgetting about the people that don't know how to, or don't know they can, change the password. Tons of people just jailbreak for cracked apps and crappy themes. If they install SSH to mess with a certain theme or fix a file, they might not know people can hack into your iPhone via SSH.

Honestly, I don't understand what's so amazing about jailbreaking anymore. There aren't any apps or tweaks being released through Cydia that are absolutely necessary to enjoy using your iPhone.

On Topic: Your friend is a fool. I don't know anybody that would buy one phone over another because of bootup time. Most of them don't even turn off their phones much. There are so many things a Blackberry is great at that the iPhone isn't.
    Last edited by mitchell209; 03-01-10 at 06:49 PM.
    03-01-10 06:45 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD