So many Androids and iPhones...and that's the reason why I own a BlackBerry.

The problem with the Iphone is that its Simple and FASHIONABLE Item for girls or Status symbol. Just like Luis Vuitton, there are other purses out there that have more space and are probably better quality. But since its Luis Vuitton it doesnt matter. Feel like the Iphone is the same thing.
    I think this is the major driving force behind the iPhone, despite what others claim to be otherwise. I'm not saying the iPhone is useless, far from it, but the real driving force behind the tremendous sell of Apple products is fashion-statement, trend-following, and status symbol.

There was an interview on BBC to an Asian analyst asking just this question, "Why do people like Apple products...?" and the analyst responded that he didn't believe the majority of people were buying Apple iPhones (this was during the 4S debut) because they like Apple products but more that "all my friends have it, so I have to have one too" kind of mindset.
    Last edited by DuexNoir; 02-26-13 at 11:21 PM.
    02-26-13 11:11 PM
    Just out of curiosity, did you spot one single Windows Phone?
    Can't say I did, i got bored in line so I would observe what kind of phones the people in line were using and I mostly saw samsungs, a couple Motorola's, many iPhones and a couple HTC's. no windows unfortunately bb and windows are in the same boat trying to gain and regain market share we'll see how blackberry does once it launches here in the states!
    02-26-13 11:42 PM
    See this is the thing that is pretty stupid. Not you personally Semi5.

Hundreds of thousands of apps in the app stores are useless. This is far too great of a generalization.

But heres the TRUTH.

You do not need an APP to check lines. These app-freaks need to WAKE UP.

How can an APP ofter any more info than a webpage can?? Have you used the web browser on an iOS device at all? I remember seeing my friend on stub-hub and I assume it was an app. It wasn't it was the web browser. Check it out. YOU DO NOT NEED AN APP FOR THESE TYPES OF THINGS.

What if you get to disneyland and you don't have the app? Then what. You have to downlaod an app. Why not just go to the broswer. You gotta assume it uses less bandwith. How does having an app give you any advantage??? It doesn't!

These app-freaks are actually a bad thing. You all don't realize the paradigm you push is a BAD thing for consumers. It doesnt matter though. Its inevitable you will be wrong. Mozilla is coming and has a lot of support. Theres Tizen, Ubunto, Jolla. BB10 is ALREADY HERE, despite being pronoucned too little too late and some even suggested it was vaporware. I wonder what these people say to themselves now. The world isn't die-hard app only as the US.

For everyone who goes to disneyland and doesn't have an ios/'droid device. You are not lost, it will be okay.

Theres an amazing thing called the browser. Its the new thing in mobile and will spell doom for apps as we know them.

Disneyland BlackBerry App | Disneyland

WDWParkHours.com - Custom Vacation Planning Calendar
    I like having the option of using either the app or the browser version for a lot of things I do on my phones. In a lot of cases, like Netflix, banking and maps(Google) for example, the App is simply easier and better then the browsers on a screen that 4" - 5.5"

Not saying I need a gazillion apps, but sometimes, what works for me may not work for everyone else, so I'm happy that there is a huge variety of apps to suit my needs, and the needs of others.
    02-27-13 01:48 AM
    Lol, if everybody is using apps to find out the rides with shorter waiting times what do you think is gonna happen by the time you get to that ride? I'm not into such parks but I would suggest to relax, take your time and enjoy the experience.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 01:55 AM

Hundreds of thousands of apps in the app stores are useless. This is far too great of a generalization.

But heres the TRUTH.

How can an APP ofter any more info than a webpage can?? Have you used the web browser on an iOS device at all? I remember seeing my friend on stub-hub and I assume it was an app. It wasn't it was the web browser. Check it out. YOU DO NOT NEED AN APP FOR THESE TYPES OF THINGS.

What if you get to disneyland and you don't have the app? Then what. You have to downlaod an app. Why not just go to the broswer. You gotta assume it uses less bandwith. How does having an app give you any advantage??? It doesn't!

These app-freaks are actually a bad thing. You all don't realize the paradigm you push is a BAD thing for consumers. It doesnt matter though. Its inevitable you will be wrong. Mozilla is coming and has a lot of support. Theres Tizen, Ubunto, Jolla. BB10 is ALREADY HERE, despite being pronoucned too little too late and some even suggested it was vaporware. I wonder what these people say to themselves now. The world isn't die-hard app only as the US.

For everyone who goes to disneyland and doesn't have an ios/'droid device. You are not lost, it will be okay.

Theres an amazing thing called the browser. Its the new thing in mobile and will spell doom for apps as we know them.

you can say what you want but apps is important.

there are many apps doesnt have web browser version (example : Instagram, whatsapp, waze ). and for others who have, apps is still needed its much simpler to use and the user interface, and the performance are so much better then the web version because its being design to used it on touch based device while the web browser being design to used on PC device

for the OP its not only in US . Hong kong , Singapore , Bangkok , Tokyo and many other big cities you can see iphone, android device everywhere
    02-27-13 03:31 AM

if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem you find is a nail ;-)

to claim, that apps are not important in 2013 is a little last-century, all the Z10 user will fast change their mind, at least as fast as they do not swear no longer on an physical keyboard (welcome in 2013...)

;-)
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-27-13 04:31 AM

But heres the TRUTH.

Wow this post of yours really takes the cake. I would love to see you attempt ramble out another post on how your able to use a browser for app services such as skype, any popular torrent client, any irc client, snapseed, google maps or any good turn by turn navigator, or even the real time disneyland app. I could only imagine a person like yourself fumbling through a browser while the world moves fastly around you, only to accomplish tasks that would normally be quite simple with a decently built dedicated application. The real truth is all mobile web browsers on all platforms are decent now, but they are only secondary to applications built for that platform. No efficient person in their right mind would prefer swimming through a mobile browser clicking on tiny links, waiting for pages to render compared to a dedicated app scaled to size, and built for the task at hand.
    02-27-13 08:33 AM
    In the past this was a favorite "go to" line for apologists. Not many are making this argument anymore.

What fills me with secret mirth is seeing some of the old "we don't need to steenking apps because we have the full web" defenders sporting the following signatures:
    • Posted via CB10
    • Sent via Tapatalk
    mikeo007 and BlackBerry Guy like this.
    02-27-13 08:47 AM
    The US is almost a quarter of all Blackberry users. Do you honestly think they will survive without the US?
    A quarter really? So you mean to tell me that there are 20 million BlackBerry users in the USA?
    02-27-13 09:58 AM
    Happens everywhere! Even at singapore and Hong Kong I witnessed what you described, only at a city size scale.

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    02-27-13 10:49 AM
    The US is almost a quarter of all Blackberry users. Do you honestly think they will survive without the US?
    They have 79 million customers globally as of last quarter. IIRC, about 8 million are in the US.

Big, important market but not a quarter of the base, or "1 million of their users" either.
    02-27-13 10:56 AM
    Every city is different. I went to Seattle a while ago and didn''t see anything but iPhones and Androids except maybe an old BlackBerry or two. And no Windows Phones! (which surprised me).

I go to Waterloo or that area, I see a lot more BlackBerrys. In the airport, I see a general mix of everything (even saw a Windows Phone!). In Toronto, it feels overwhelmingly iPhone. In Ottawa, it's a mix to me.
    02-27-13 10:59 AM
    Maybe you people should may more attention to the homeless people needing some food sleeping on the sidewalk rather than what phone everyone is carrying around with them
    02-27-13 11:09 AM
    Maybe you people should may more attention to the homeless people needing some food sleeping on the sidewalk rather than what phone everyone is carrying around with them
    That's asking a lot, though the point is valid. Remember what happened in New York recently? All kinds of flooding, damage and suffering. Meanwhile, New Yorkers were lining up to buy the iPad Mini
    02-27-13 11:13 AM
    The U.S is the most important market for BlackBerry. This is why they are being very careful with the launch. We will see a re launch if you will, complete with news about new features and big name apps.

Yes the U.S market is very very important and as far as homeless people go...I'm from Baltimore and I see many homeless folks all the time and from what I've seen, most of them use Android phones.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    Balti43 likes this.
    02-27-13 11:19 AM
    There wasn't any homeless people inside disneyland.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    02-27-13 12:07 PM
    Of course they can survive without the US.
    02-27-13 03:00 PM
    Really? They can lose their biggest customer (22% is what I've read). They lost a million customers last quarter and you think they could survive without the US customer base? Doesn't sound feasible to me
    02-27-13 03:07 PM
    Welcome to California, Balti43! We're the Apple capital of the world! Actually, Google is also headquartered here as well as the overwhelming majority of major software companies; but you'll find more iPhones here than anywhere else. I am a computer science major and Macs outnumber PCs more than 2 to 1 in most of my classes. Even the professors use Mac. It's kind of scary really. (At least you weren't in NorCal. It is even more iCentric over there.)

The problem is that US consumers buy a lot of high end models and a weak US presence means weak/nonexistent app support. (Most software developers are based over here.) Just look at what happened to Symbian. Popular in Europe, a very affluent region, for a long time; but, even Europe couldn't prop up the OS.
    02-27-13 03:20 PM
    yep, great app. Huge help on my iPhone when I took my family a few months ago. Unfortunately, most people here will say apps are useless.
    Don't worry. There is already one huge antiWhatsApp critic who sideloaded it to his/her Z10. I had to laugh.

If they ever get apps, they will come around.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    02-27-13 03:45 PM
    Like the Beatles, did you leave Tuscon Arizona, for some california grass? GET BACK!
    02-27-13 05:43 PM
    yep, great app. Huge help on my iPhone when I took my family a few months ago. Unfortunately, most people here will say apps are useless.
    I hardly think that's true. You sound a bit jaded! Of course apps are useful, and of course the new Blackberry Corp, version 2.0, =), has put a particular emphasis on apps. No, they're nowhere near the number and availability of iPhone and Android apps but their new OS is a bit new to market, yeah? As an iPhone user who upgraded, I can tell you that there is a limit to the app infatuation. Once you hit a certain level, it stops becoming such a gee whiz novelty. By the time I switched, I had app fatigue. And believe me, once that infatuation is over, you start caring a lot more about the basic OS functionality. Which I personally found lacking in iOS. I looked for something more in Android, and found lacking as well, which also had tons of apps...

We've gone through the Instagram/Skype/WhatsApp dramas, and all of them are coming (probably March). Android ports, yeah, but hey, gotta start somewhere. If Blackberry can overcome the overwhelming negative bias in the media then this new OS will shine and all the App Holdouts, trust me, will develop for BB. Some of them are waiting till the US launch, and in a way I don't blame them. Given the irrational vitriol directed at this phone/OS, I'm sure some of them don't want to commit resources to develop for a platform they think might fail. They're wrong of course, but it's understandable. As for the big name app developers, the situation is much more complicated. Apple has $137 Billion in cash reserves, Google $50 Billion. That's just reserves. Of course they're going to try and strangle the life out of any competition to this license to print money they've latched onto. Any corporation would do that. So do we, as average users, reward that kind of behaviour? Obviously, Blackberry would have loved to have the big name apps on their phone at launch. But it isn't just about money, it's about permission. Google could have brought a native BB10 Maps App at launch. Clearly, they've refused. Blackberry could have built the app, or ported it easily but they didn't. Again, I am quite certain it's because Google refused permission. So Blackberry was stuck. Not their fault.

I have a Z10, used Android (Asus Tablet) and former iPhone user. LOVE my decision, no regrets. I have a ton of apps installed on my phone already actually, more than the average iPhone/Android user installs according to surveys I've read. And maybe I'm just an optimist, but I think this whole app argument is going to be moot by summer. The Blackberry 10 phones will NOT be a replay of the Playbook disaster of 2011. And to be fair, Blackberry/RIM screwed that up royally. They were lazy, and complacent. They thought they could release an OS that didn't address the needs of the average user. And they got handed their arses for being so arrogant, deservedly so.

Fast forward to now. Balsillie is gone and has sold all of his shares, and so has the infatuation with getting a hockey team in Ottawa! Oh dear lord, what was that about? Mike Lazaridis is still on the board, and that's good imho, because he was the brains behind the whole thing and I think he's been given a bad rep. Now we have The Mighty Thor, the best mobile CEO since Steve Jobs. I have full confidence in his abilities based on what I've seen so far. Of course, only time will tell.

Anyway, each to their own, just wanted to comment. Cheers.
    02-27-13 06:33 PM
    new iPhone
    Stop calling it new already! It's the same old phone with an updated but less than innovating OS. Just call it for what it is: iPhone x/xx(s)
    It stopped being innovative after iPhone 4, imo.

Mythical Q10??? Sureeeee. I do love these kinda posts. As soon as the Q10 comes out, I'm gonna laugh at all your previous 'facts'.
    02-27-13 08:38 PM

But heres the TRUTH.

When somebody makes a website that works as well on my smartphone as a dedicated app, then you will have a point. However, at this time native apps always offer more features, have a better interface, tie into the camera, calendar, contacts, etc. of my phone, and are far more satisfying to use.

As for the Disney app, I was able to launch the app and check the wait times on rides in about 3 taps. Not going to happen on a website. In addition, the app I used tied into my phones GPS and allowed me to track on a map exactly where my wife and children were when we happened to split up (I had six kids with me that wanted to go on separate rides). Show me the website that will do that.
    02-27-13 10:08 PM
    So many Androids and iPhones...and that's the reason why I own a BlackBerry.

I think this is the major driving force behind the iPhone, despite what others claim to be otherwise. I'm not saying the iPhone is useless, far from it, but the real driving force behind the tremendous sell of Apple products is fashion-statement, trend-following, and status symbol.

There was an interview on BBC to an Asian analyst asking just this question, "Why do people like Apple products...?" and the analyst responded that he didn't believe the majority of people were buying Apple iPhones (this was during the 4S debut) because they like Apple products but more that "all my friends have it, so I have to have one too" kind of mindset.
    And that was what my daughter was thinking she wanted until I demo'ed the SIII for her. Then she realized how tiny the iPhone screen was. BB wasn't an option when she upgraded, so she's using the SIII, now, and loves it. Especially when she blows her sister's iPhone out of the water. Sibling rivalry, gotta love it.
    02-27-13 10:19 PM
122 ... 2345