Until an hour ago, you could pry my Blackberry Bold 9700 from my cold dead fingers.

Well, unless you were to quickly replace it with a Torch that is...

Point is, LOVE my Berry. *Hugs it*

Now, every now and again I have a look around at the smartphone market, just to see what everyone else is doing. Samsung? Yawn. iPhone? Nah. Nokia? Pass.......oh wait what's this? Nokia N8 coming soon? Probably rubbish, i'll just take a look......

Introducing Nokia N8

Um. Wow. 12MP Carl Zeiss optics? My last phone was a SE C905 8MP camera, and I certainly miss the camera, rubbish amateur photogropher that I am

Sweet looking phone. HD video recording in 720p? Cool. AMOLED screen? Excellent. 16GB storage? Now your talking. Price? Not far under HALF as expensive as a Torch? You MUST be kidding me? How can a Torch be not that far away from TWICE the price? OS...fail, but it looks snappy and has all the features that I need.

Could it be? Could it be that i'm tempted by a Nokia N8 as my next phone?

Opinions and random comments/abuse welcome
    08-28-10 01:32 PM
    There is a place for posts like these. Oh well.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/all-...t-here-260887/

Sounds like an iPhone wannabe to me.
    08-28-10 01:36 PM
    MeeGo looks a lot more promising.
    08-28-10 01:38 PM
    Now that's the kind of smartphone we're talkin' about. I'm definitely gonna have to look into this. I just got my bold a couple months ago so I'm gonna have to be stuck with it for a little while but once I get the bug to upgrade to a better phone, these are the kind of smartphone's I'll be looking at. Of course there are things like portability of moving files without restrictions, ability to cut audio files and easily make ringtones and put them into easy access directories without restriction and all and most important, a long-life battery. For all the things I don't like with my bold, the battery life is excellent and the phone works well. I just gotta find a good smartphone with what I'm looking for and battery life.
    08-28-10 01:49 PM
    You'll be back.... Plus I don't care what kind of cameras they can put in a Nokia.. In the end they're all crappy....
    08-28-10 06:05 PM
    Wheres the keyboard? Does it pop out of the side? or under the bottom somewhere? It seems to be missing some buttons?

You might find yourself missing that sexy little qwerty keyboard... or maybe not
    08-28-10 06:12 PM
    You'll be back.... Plus I don't care what kind of cameras they can put in a Nokia.. In the end they're all crappy....
    I have to agree with that statement a 100%...Theyre just not special anymore like they use to be, and most of their phones including SE lack the necessary applications, and if you think the facebook app for the blackberry is worst wait till you check what they got for symbian. I would have said the same about Blackberrys but atleast you got applications that are reliable, constantly updated, large community, BBM, best qwerty,etc it gives you the sense that your always upto date even with the old hardware.

The worst is when Nokia released the N900, wheres the progress with Maemo? All i hear are more problems and lack of support.
    08-29-10 02:48 AM
    Wheres the keyboard? Does it pop out of the side? or under the bottom somewhere? It seems to be missing some buttons?

You might find yourself missing that sexy little qwerty keyboard... or maybe not
    Virtual keyboard is the future :P
    08-29-10 02:51 AM
    The phone looks pretty souped up besides the processor and the resolution...sorta like the Torch.
    Last edited by Karmaloop; 08-29-10 at 04:13 AM.
    08-29-10 04:09 AM

Nah, you're right. I HATE touchscreens. Keyboards FTW!

I just miss using my phone for amateur photography, and this phone has a snappy 12MP Carl Zeiss lens.....

I just need to buy a camera!

Although it's more socially acceptable to have a mobile phone camera. These days (in the UK at least) public photography is frowned on. Someone got stopped and searched the other day under the Terrorism Act because they were taking photo's of the Houses of Parliament in London
    08-29-10 06:19 AM
    Virtual keyboard is the future :P
    I future I will fight for many years to come!

until I can get tactical feed back without looking at the screen a virtual keyboard will not replace my physical one.

the Keyboard is my most important feature when looking at a smartphone and notebook.
    08-29-10 06:31 AM
    I left RIM for an htc droid. Extremely happy with my decision.
    08-29-10 11:09 PM
    I'm glad you were not enticed by other phones! Alol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 03:51 AM
    Nah, you're right. I HATE touchscreens. Keyboards FTW!

I just miss using my phone for amateur photography, and this phone has a snappy 12MP Carl Zeiss lens.....

I just need to buy a camera!

Although it's more socially acceptable to have a mobile phone camera. These days (in the UK at least) public photography is frowned on. Someone got stopped and searched the other day under the Terrorism Act because they were taking photo's of the Houses of Parliament in London
    I rocked a Storm for one year, and I always had to look at the keyboard... I've had my 9700 for three weeks, and I can type about 80% accurately NOT looking at the keyboard (that number will rise with practice...) I'm a complete physical keyboard fan-boy now and can't imagine living without it.

Sorry though, I just had to throw that into your thread to bug you :P And I'm very surprised England is being so strict about cameras... you guys have the worst paparazzi in the world, what will they do without their precious cameras. A camera is just a camera... governments should be more worried about guns...
    08-30-10 07:18 AM
    Check it out. We'll welcome you back when you're ready to come home.
    08-30-10 08:11 AM
    I rocked a Storm for one year, and I always had to look at the keyboard... I've had my 9700 for three weeks, and I can type about 80% accurately NOT looking at the keyboard (that number will rise with practice...) I'm a complete physical keyboard fan-boy now and can't imagine living without it.

Sorry though, I just had to throw that into your thread to bug you :P And I'm very surprised England is being so strict about cameras... you guys have the worst paparazzi in the world, what will they do without their precious cameras. A camera is just a camera... governments should be more worried about guns...
    I hear you. I was one of the few idiots that bought an HTC HD2

I lasted 3 weeks until I gave it to my Mother (who was in desparate need of a new phone) and bought my Bold 9700.

It's getting ridiculous in Britain though. It's been getting worse for years, but over the last few months more and more Member of Parliament are being lobbied over "photographers rights".

I'll give you an example, people in public parks with cameras are closely watched, and if they look in any way "weird" the police are called and they are detained and asked to account for their behaviour. Some police even ask them to delete certain photo's and claim to have the right to confiscate their camera if they don't.

Around government buildings, like the Houses of Parliament it's very hit and miss also. If you are openly Japanese tourists etc.. then there's unlikely to be a problem. A lone guy with a camera, then you might be asked to "stop and account".

It's why i'm contemplating this phone really. I like taking quick photo's of sunsets or awesome views I come across. If you have a camera phone no-one cares about that "quick shot". If you're walking around alone with a proper camera you are treated with suspicion.

God save the queen
    08-30-10 09:44 AM
    Everyone know that the number of mega pixels does not matter.
    08-30-10 10:52 AM
    Everyone know that the number of mega pixels does not matter.
    I never said it did - the sensor in this phone is also much bigger (megapixles just add noise without an appropriate sensor). In fact, Nokia have put considerable resources into marketing this phone as an effective stand alone camera and there are blog posts on the nokia site where they go into minute detail.

Sample pictures also put the camera on the N8 on a par with compact cameras from 2007.

For the average user you can get an N8 and not have to get a camera for family vacations etc..
    08-30-10 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD