I just sold my Blackberry Curve 8310. Maybe if the Bold had come out already I would consider that, but wow, watching YouTube on your phone, viewing pics in emails without the hassle of third party apps, downloading albums/movies from your phone, viewing voicemail, synching it with my mac without all of the PocketMac issues, synching with ITunes, plus the smoothness of the touchscreen interface and the size/quality of the screen will make games and videos so much better, I mean all of that stuff is really hard to turn down. What's the advantage of a Blackberry? I love Blackberry and I've owned them for several years now, but as a die hard Blackberry supporter even I have to admit that Iphone has the edge right now.
    07-23-08 10:34 PM
    Well good luck with your choice, I hope everything works out for you Ciao
    07-23-08 10:37 PM
    My problem is its on AT&T, other than that. I might agree with you. AT&T isn't the best in my area.
    07-23-08 10:37 PM
    Yeah I'm already on AT&T though because I switched to get the Curve, another year and a half to go I might as well get an Iphone while I'm stuck there lol.
    07-23-08 10:38 PM
    For me the iphone is more "fun" then anything. Yes it does most/all the things a BB does.
    BUT I dont watch movies, listen to music on my BB. I only use it for work emails, personal emails, the internet, texting and keeping appointments. Id prefer to watch my movies on the TV then a phone-that is me.

Good Luck with your iphone-hope you enjoy it
    07-23-08 10:41 PM
    For me the iphone is more "fun" then anything. Yes it does most/all the things a BB does.
    BUT I dont watch movies, listen to music on my BB. I only use it for work emails, personal emails, the internet, texting and keeping appointments. Id prefer to watch my movies on the TV then a phone-that is me.

Same reasons here. There are some really nice things on the iPhone, but I'd rather use might for when I don't have the internet handy, need to email someone or text.

Movies and such can wait until I get home.
    07-23-08 10:42 PM
    Never really looked into the new iphone
    Does it have push email?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 10:44 PM

Right, the thing is I travel a lot so the movies and YouTube will come in really handy when I'm on a plane or on the road.

What I like most about it is that it does a lot of things that the Blackberry requires third party apps to do or cannot do at all.

Did I mention you can watch Power Point presentations on it too?

Oh, and I'm in a 3G spot so the Internet will be crazy fast.
    07-23-08 10:47 PM
    Does it have push email?

yeah it has push email

check out this video, it's what pushed me over the edge

Apple - iPhone - A Guided Tour - What's New - Medium
    Last edited by GRIME; 07-23-08 at 10:50 PM.
    07-23-08 10:47 PM
    As long as you have the device that works best for YOU,
    it's all good.
    07-23-08 10:50 PM
    No worries, you'll love the iPhone. To be honest, I would have gotten the iPhone instead of my Curve if it wasn't stuck on the att network. I cannot stand att, otherwise I would be on the same boat as you.
    Enjoy your new phone, Im sure you love it.
    07-23-08 10:51 PM
    As long as you have the device that works best for YOU,
    it's all good.
    right, the thing i'm asking though is what exactly is the advantage of the blackberry for anyone right now?

and i want to make it clear that i don't even own the phone yet, hopefully i'll be able to get one tomorrow, and i will keep you guys posted on whether its all its cracked up to be or not
    07-23-08 10:57 PM
    I loooooove the iphone and would own one in a heartbeat if it weren't att exclusive.

Enjoy your new phone - I'm super jealous and stuff!!

07-23-08 10:59 PM
    Good luck with your iphone. I hope you enjoy your purchase. My husband and best friend love there's.

07-23-08 11:14 PM
    Receiving and replying to emails/ text on the iphone just seems like a pain in the arse. Its a great toy though. Good for you man! Devices and carriers are a matter of personal prefference and telling someone what the best choice for them is called facism.
    Enjoy your new phone!

07-23-08 11:35 PM
    I just got an ipod touch. 3 reasons I didn't get an iphone.
    1) like the touch screen (except when I am texting. I text WAY to much for that)
    2) as others said, not an att fan
    3) Plans were too expensive when it first came out, not sure if they lowered them.

Best of both worlds, ipod touch for movies, games, music and better browser (when Im at a hotspot) and curve for all other browsing, extra media, texting, emailing, and what phones are made for TALKING lol
    07-23-08 11:40 PM
    I really have wanted the iphone. I hope it works out for you. I'm a senior sysadmin, and I just got a curve on verizon to replace my 8703 after long debate. I've had a touch since the release, so I know the interface and have the 2.0 apps etc. Even did the whole jailbreak for fun. In the end, I just couldn't give up the berry.

Att service issues aside, basic things like cut and paste even search aren't there yet. I use tsmobile and ssh a ton, neither option there yet for iphone (well, vnc is I see but I don't see rdp and ssh still requires the whole jailbreaking excersise).

Multi delete is still cumbersome, but if your volume is light, the interface is georgeous, just not real efficient.

Push is there, sorta. Activesync works, but it also has a aways to go to match what the bes server offers.

The multimedia edge still goes to the iphone, although this curve with microsd is enough I've left the touch at home the last week.

The safari browser is still king. If there is one reason to switch, that is it....but for me, I have no choice but the berry for the work I need to do reliably from my handheld.

If you are a power user, you will probably miss the shortcuts berries are known for...the iphone doesn't anticipate the way a berry does. It just hasn't been around long enough for the menu options to mature the way a berry's have.

I am a mac user, yes syncing is less than desireable, but I've always found a way around the limitations.

I'm waiting/watching the thunder. RIMM has a chance to end Apple's run if they get a few things right. The browser is the biggie I think...

For now, I'm satisfied waiting with my curve. Let me/us know how it goes... Good luck!
    07-23-08 11:49 PM
    I'm thinking about getting "another" iPhone! Lol. Too many of my friends have them though! At first, it was only me that had one, because they didn't want to spend $400 on a cellphone, now all of them have iPhones...damn 200 price. lol. Now i'm a BB addict! lol
    07-23-08 11:50 PM
    That's nice for you. Have fun.

07-24-08 12:07 AM
    The iPhone is nice but I refuse to be on AT&T. For one thing their coverage is poor in my area (I laugh every time I see their "so and so doesn't have AT&T so they have no bars" commercials). I also refuse to pay their rates. AT&T has nothing that comes close to the Sprint SEP. I use my cellphone as my only phone for all my calls, business and personal. Not having to worry about minutes is a relief. To get the same level of service with AT&T it would cost me $50/month more.

The last thing is I don't think I could do the touchscreen typing. I have two friends who have the first iPhones and I just don't like typing on the phone. The internet, email and picture viewing is great and the screen is beautiful but I just don't like the virtual keyboard. I only run Macs, and as nice as it would be to have a phone play nice with my computer and my .mac account, I can't convince myself to get one. In fact, I actually set up a Windows VM on my Mac and use Outlook for contacts and calendar function because it plays nicer with my Curve.
    07-24-08 12:17 AM
    right, the thing i'm asking though is what exactly is the advantage of the blackberry for anyone right now?
    Can't speak for anyone else but for me I don't really need the
    multimedia bells and whistles on my phone. I need my email and
    the ability to communicate efficiently. Nothing does that better
    than a BB. Throw in the GPS and well for me it's a no brainer.
    07-24-08 12:33 AM
    I got the new iphone the day it came out. Used it for a week and returned it. Reasons are as follows;

1) Battery life is not good. I could not make it through a full day of use. Not even close. The longest I got was about 13 hours total before it died. On a heavy usage day, I was getting about 8-10. My VZW Curve lasts all day.
    2) Making a phone call to a random contact;
    Step 1-Open phone app/or go to contacts
    Step 2-type in your contacts name to find
    Step 3-Select the contacts name
    Step 4-Select which number you wish to call
    To many steps for me. I much prefer typing the name on the keyboard and pressing the track ball.
    3) Email-NO EMAIL SEARCH!!!!
    4) Switching between email accounts
    Step 1-Select email
    Step 2-select account name from tab at top of screen
    Step 3-Select new tab which is labeled "accounts"
    Step 4-select account you wish to view
    Step 5-select "inbox" from folders list
    On a day to day basis, the eye candy of the Iphone quickly is replaced by the annoyance of not being able to do things quickly and easily. Did I mention no voice dial? If you are media driven, the iphone is for you, if not, you will get sick of it (IMHO).
    07-24-08 12:34 AM
    For me there were more positives than negatives.

Hope you enjoy your iPhone.
    07-24-08 01:03 AM
    even I have to admit that Iphone has the edge right now.
    Right now? I agree, even with all the problems Apple is having. But once the Bold is released, I can't be so sure I can agree with this statement. But I'm glad you have a device that suits all of your needs.
    07-24-08 01:08 AM
    Does it have push email?

I have been told with the mobileme service it will push yahoo and gmail. All other email accounts can be set to pull at a 15 minute interval.
    07-24-08 01:46 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD