Hi all.
    I get that very few of anyone would be terribly interested but nonetheless I see no harm in sharing some personal points of view on why I elected to, re-activate my old 9930 in place of my Q10.

Of the highest reasoning; personal preference. I'm not selling or otherwise ditching my Q10, but BlackBerry 10 isn't quite as comfortable and quick for me. The HUB and it's design is really nifty and easy to get used to, but I felt I had that functionality from the notification dropdown in BB7, with the added benefit of seeing what type of notification I had without even dropping that window down. Of course, you can act on your notification from right there.

Secondly, I appreciate the "compact" feeling and aesthetics of BBOS but then again, there's no justifying that beyond personal taste either. I installed a theme called "Classic 6" because my favorite appearance of BBOS was OS 6, I liked the glass or wireframe theme and what can I say? The UI as a whole fits me best.

I'm a bit relieved to know i'm totally free of Android or anything involving Google for that matter. I know, you don't have to use APKs or ported apps if you choose not to, but it still bothers me that Android software exists anywhere on my device. I will spare anyone bored enough to read all of this my incredibly long list of both technical and personal grievances I have with Google as a whole, but as for my own device? If I wanted anything to do with Android OS, I would buy something using it. BlackBerry is not affiliated with Google Inc, and I did not spend my money on a BlackBerry to have an Android capable device or a "DroidBerry". I just have too much disdain if not animosity towards everything that company is to be OK with their software on my personal device.

Next, my apps. I had a handfull of apps that I relied on daily, some go as far back as my first BlackBerry that I watched get updated and evolve over time and I feel perform better, or faster, or simpler, or more comfortably depending on what we're talking about. BlackBerry 10 being an entirely different ecosystem to grow on now is really being slowed in growth if not killed because it's so easy for Android devs to just stick their app on here rather than utilize the codebase of native apps which seem to be pretty amazing; those "built for BlackBerry" apps really cook man. Fundamentally speaking, I can't understand how BB10's app market will ever grow or stand on it's own by piggybacking on another platform. Since the stuff I need is all right here right now, I can do without BB10 in the present day and for a good while to come.

Finally, the ultimate "kick me" sign: the hardware. I can't stand virtual keyboarding. I type *alot* and my WPM is quite high with a real keyboard, so that's important to me. It's why when I made the move to BB10 I chose the Q. Without any doubt, the Q10 is smoking fast and gorgeous to boot. QNX afterall is lightweight weighing in somewhere around all of 150,000 or so lines of code right? It does perform well and BB10's gestures are fairly easy to adapt to. I think the copy and paste system they have going is a pain in the **** but workable. Being able to flick up out of apps and slap 'em around as you see fit is convenient again, easy to adapt to and get comfortable with. The thing is; I really enjoy the conveniences provided by having a combination touchscreen and mouse cursor (and that's the kick me part.) It is perfect precision accuracy and control in all situations, be it writing or web browsing or etc to roll that little cursor up and do what you need to do. The Berry menu key always seemed to me to be faster and more effective for utilizing the various functions and options of most apps as opposed to hitting the three dots or flicking down from the top of the screen, again, depending on the app. Also, I know the keys are a bit bigger on the Q10 and it is a stellar keyboard, but up to right now, I believe the 99** series is the best i've used yet. This screen may be a tad smaller than the Q but not by alot, it's brightness and resolution are perfect for me, it's never been a real problem when doing stuff, and more often than not, the BIS feeding this compressed data often re-shapes the pages i'm reading anyway, presuming i'm not on a mobilized site which fits perfectly.

I don't know what else to say. I am a real heavy user and my 'Berry is my primary computing station. The only time i've ever seen the spinning clock on this particular Bold is when installing an app from app world. The problems people often seem to complain about with BBOS never did affect me. No crashes, no real lags to speak of, I just don't know. Since ultimately what makes you happiest at the end of your own day is all that really matters, satisfied I very much am for now.

Posted via BitPusher's BlackBerry

PS: A fine history. I've loved em all although there's one missing: The Storm 2. I got rid of that in short order, couldn't stand that puppy.

Attachment 246714
    Last edited by BitPusher2600; 02-10-14 at 08:31 PM.
    02-10-14 07:55 PM
    You have way more patience than I. I could never go back to a BBOS device. To me, that's like self-harm.
    sickyute and kdna like this.
    02-10-14 08:06 PM
    Op congrats on your eureka moment, however there are a number of posts here with this topic, I think you could have added your thoughts there! Personally I respect your decision and I also carry a 9900 as an auxiliary device but I can't say that I'm going back to BlackBerry OS 7 as a main driver, I love BlackBerry 10 too much!

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 08:37 PM
    I feel you OP, the realization of what actually works best. I've sold my 9900 a little while back, I've just put in a bid for another one, I'm hoping to get something by weeks end.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 09:18 PM
    OP,

You are entitled to you opinion. You should go with whatever works best for you and suits your needs. Personally, I could never go back to BBOS, but that's just my opinion. Let me know if you are planning on selling your Q10.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-10-14 09:30 PM
    I fired up my old curve the other day and bleh. My god the screen sucked on that thing.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-11-14 03:41 AM
    Yeah, same here. I toy around with my old 8330 and it's funny. At the time I thought it was the greatest thing in the world, now, heh. Good memories but I couldn't use that for a daily. The 9650, maybe but mega last resort.

02-11-14 04:21 AM
    As a Crackberry-wanna-be, this was a good post. I am considering switching from a CDMA-only dumphone to a Blackberry, either a 9930 or some sort of 10 device, but a QWERTY keyboard is a must.
    02-11-14 05:10 AM
    Another one bites the dust lol, OP, you are not alone, I'm in the exact same situation, I lost all trust in BB10.

It's not that we want to go back to a 3 year old device, it's be best option we have to choose from. I'm sure you'd also pick a new updated 9900 with better specs and BB8 (or even just BB7) if you had the choice, but such a device doesn't exist.
    02-11-14 05:42 AM
    Yeah, same here. I toy around with my old 8330 and it's funny. At the time I thought it was the greatest thing in the world, now, heh. Good memories but I couldn't use that for a daily. The 9650, maybe but mega last resort.

Funny, a while back I did use a 8800 for about two weeks while waiting for a replacement 9900, and when it arrived damaged, another one.

It was old and well battered but charging it every 2 days gave me such peace of mind and I probably browsed CB more then ever on it (that wouldn't be possible now with the new website though)
    02-11-14 05:46 AM
    I currently still use a Curve 9360 for work. . . it's painful Other than than the 2-3 days to a charge (no data services running), I don't think I could ever go back. I LOVED my Torch 9810, but after a few months with my Z10 I up and sold it. If anything goes wrong now, I can pick up a decent-condition used Z10 for a couple hundred bucks on Kijiji (which is a sad sign for BB, but great for me).
    02-11-14 08:25 AM
    Another one bites the dust lol, OP, you are not alone, I'm in the exact same situation, I lost all trust in BB10.

It's not that we want to go back to a 3 year old device, it's be best option we have to choose from. I'm sure you'd also pick a new updated 9900 with better specs and BB8 (or even just BB7) if you had the choice, but such a device doesn't exist.
    Quite right. I would without hesitation. Daydreams (such as winning the lottery) are fun. I can fantasize about a Bold 9980 or 9990 if I want too

Besides, to a degree, it's not like going back to a really old BB. The 9930, or so I believe, is smoking fast with it's little 1.2ghz processor. It's not as if there's any lag to be experienced, at least I don't notice it.

It takes all kinds right

02-11-14 08:55 AM
    Couldn't do it. I do Soooo much more with my Z10 than I ever did with my 9900. So much smoother as well but happy for u OP. Use what works for u and that's all that matters

Posted via CB10
    world saviour likes this.
    02-11-14 08:58 AM
    I understand it's hard to change old ways. But sooner are later you may not have a choice.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 09:09 AM
    OP,while it may not matter for you, quick question. If you have 9930, does that mean you are on VZW not yet using 10.2.1.1925? If so, I'd recommend giving the Q10 another try after the update is pushed. They are continuing to improve the experience fairly rapidly.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    02-11-14 09:18 AM
    @SJMartin; You may of course be correct. This is why I kept my Q10 (though ive kept every 'Berry i've had.) For the time being though, i'm good

@B121; Sprint actually. The update to 10.2 surely sounds like it's got all kinds of awesome on board, but it does not address much of what I wrote about in the original post. I am as eager as anyone I suppose to see the update in action just because it is a step forward for BlackBerry as a company and I love said company, so i'll see it soon enough

02-11-14 12:40 PM
    I suddenly don't feel so alone!

I switched from the 9900 to the Z10 about 4 months ago. BB10 is awesome but I've always felt like something was missing. Not sure if it was just nostalgia or what. But I put the Z10 SIM back in my 9900 over the weekend and fired it up and I really miss that phone. It just did everything I needed how I needed. And honestly yeah there is a huge difference going from BB10 to an old curve but I don't find the difference that drastic going from BB10 to BB7 except in the browser.

I'm tempted to just use it as my daily driver again but I can't in good conscious let the Z10 just sit there after having bought it out right. If the market for Z10s was better I'd seriously consider it.
    02-11-14 12:55 PM
    I admit to fighting this...the temptation to go back. Don't get me wrong, I love my Z10. I lived with the daily requests for email passwords till I removed the email accounts and put them on my Playbook where they now live quite happily. It was a feeling of pre smartphone to have no email on my phone but I've got used to it.

Now I'm finding that each time I swap a battery....turning the phone off first....strange things happen. The most worrying, a message where the signal icons are...."sim not allowed".... and going into networks/mobile I find "sim locked", even though no passwords are set. Which is very worrying if I get out this summer, I was relying on the spare battery/bundle, and if this is happening when I swap its not good.

And so I am more and more tempted to fire up my 9320 as my communication device, calls, email etc and use the Z10 sim free at home over wifi and when out latched onto friends wifi. Its a shame though as its a road I don't particularly want to go down, but I need reliable communication, and if the sim is going to be giving that message after a battery swap its sort if inevitable.
    Last edited by afl777; 02-11-14 at 01:58 PM.
    02-11-14 12:57 PM
    I'm with that; the BB10 browser is definitely superior in performance, but the BB7 browser isn't exactly dysfunctional. It loads up the sites that matter most (like my credit union and companies I pay bills to) just fine. It is totally functional as a daily driver, but sometimes not as fast or fluid. Maybe i'm just relaxed about the whole thing but it's never been a real "bother" to me, it serves my needs just fine.

02-11-14 01:58 PM
    I'm with that; the BB10 browser is definitely superior in performance, but the BB7 browser isn't exactly dysfunctional. It loads up the sites that matter most (like my credit union and companies I pay bills to) just fine. It is totally functional as a daily driver, but sometimes not as fast or fluid. Maybe i'm just relaxed about the whole thing but it's never been a real "bother" to me, it serves my needs just fine.

Oh yeah I didn't mean that the BB7 browser was terrible. It became pretty good and was a huge jump from OS6. I used to browse on mine fairly regularly.
    02-11-14 08:24 PM