Hello fellow bb addicts..I searched the site and found nothing to answer my question. So someone may have put some spyware on my precious BB [to spy on my SMS msgs and phone calls] and I wanted to know if there was anyway for me to know for sure that it's on there and how should I go about removing it if it is indeed on there? Would Verizon be able to check to see for me or are these programs undetectable by vzw? Any help would be appreciated
    02-08-10 04:15 AM
    If I were you I would back up my phone and wipe it. Then add back apps one by one and never give anyone my phone again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-10 04:27 AM
    So someone would have to physically have my phone in front of them to put the spyware on it? They can't do it remotely, from a computer? I'm lost when it comes to that stuff..
    02-08-10 04:36 AM
    Yeah, I don't believe they can install anything on your phone remotely. They would need your physical phone to do it.

02-08-10 04:38 AM
    Oh ok cool..I may be okay then, I mean I searched all through my phone to see if there was any software that shouldn't be there and I couldn't find anything from as far as I could tell..the specific software was Spy Mobil and idk how the **** their service works or what you need to do to install it..so I was getting a little paranoid.
    02-08-10 04:46 AM
    I think if spyware was installed it probably won't be under the app list.

02-08-10 04:48 AM
    Exactly why I came over to CB because I have no idea what I'm looking for..like I said, I'm a little clueless when it comes to this spyware mess...
    02-08-10 04:51 AM
    Hmm, so what makes you think you have a spyware problem?

02-08-10 04:54 AM
    To get spyware onto the phone it has to be physically installed. Either someone has to have hands on your phone, or you have to be persuaded to install the application. Either way it needs hands on the device.

If you are unsure, download and install the latest OS to your PC from a trusted source (Verizon or RIM website) - note that VZW uses smithmicro for their downloads. Backup your data, and make sure you have the registration info for any legitimate third party apps you purchased and want to reinstall later. Then WIPE your phone and reinstall the new OS, restore your data.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/

Apart from the unpredictable download time, the wipe and reload should take less than 1 hour - I can usually do my Bold in about 30 minutes.
    02-08-10 05:11 AM
    Well I think I may have the problem from a few links I found on my laptop that I know I haven't went to and my phones been acting a little funny lately..I did just get the storm 2 so I'm not sure if its just growing pains from the new phone or if I do indeed have spyware on my device..its impossible to tell because a certain someone has access to my phone at all times..so I guess a wipe is necessary..*sigh* its a shame..thanks to everyone for your help

02-08-10 05:20 AM
    There is a test to confirm the presence of unwanted Spy software. In order to do it dirty work, it must connect to a host computer to download the information.

Options / Security Options / Firewall. Click on the checkmark for BlackBerry Internet Service and Save.

Give it about half an hour. If youl see an error message when the software tries to connect to it's host, that is positive proof of malware.
    02-08-10 10:06 AM
    Sounds to me like the real problem here is that "someone" doesn't trust you that much...
    02-08-10 10:35 AM
    Try Kisses v1.0.5 A hidden programs, processes, detector and spyware remover.
    02-08-10 10:51 AM
    I would also suggest that once you feel you have your BB set up the way you want ti (and are sure you don't have any spyware added), lock your BB with a password. That way, you can make sure you are the only one who has access to installing apps and accessing your BB.
    02-08-10 11:04 AM
    A password is an excellent idea

No one touches my BB except me. No one. Unless I have to have it looked at

I don't let anyone use it for phone calls. I had a stranger ask if I would let them use my phone the nerve.......... uh I wasn't born yesterday
    02-08-10 12:21 PM
    Hey Reed,
    You just click on BIS and leave the phone be?? should you remove it after? How would i get an error message....I mean what would cause this?

Sorry for all the questions but first time i hear about this

Thank you

There is a test to confirm the presence of unwanted Spy software. In order to do it dirty work, it must connect to a host computer to download the information.

Options / Security Options / Firewall. Click on the checkmark for BlackBerry Internet Service and Save.

Give it about half an hour. If youl see an error message when the software tries to connect to it's host, that is positive proof of malware.
    02-08-10 12:28 PM
    Hey Reed,
    You just click on BIS and leave the phone be?? should you remove it after? How would i get an error message....I mean what would cause this?

Sorry for all the questions but first time i hear about this

Thank you
    Any apps attempting to access the data network would cause an error. You could then see what is attempting to access the internet and catch any unknown or insecure apps. Once you know what is attempting to use the data connection, you can reset it to stop messages from appearing.
    02-08-10 04:11 PM
    Try Kisses v1.0.5 A hidden programs, processes, detector and spyware remover.
    +1 on the "Kisses" suggestion"... I find it really handy... tracking a memory leak...seeing what hasn't been shut down properly. I use it ALOT. And it's supposed to display all hidden programs,spyware.. Very nice!
    02-08-10 05:00 PM
    Thanks again for all the help everyone and I'll try these suggestions that yall are kicking to me..gotta make sure I'm the only one who owns my BB...ugh..

02-08-10 10:40 PM
    To get spyware onto the phone it has to be physically installed. Either someone has to have hands on your phone, or you have to be persuaded to install the application. Either way it needs hands on the device.

Unless they are on BES, which has not been stated yet. If on a BES the device can be 100% controlled without the end user knowing anything is going on.
    02-09-10 11:50 AM
    Hi,
    Is it possible for some one to have access to the BBM, PIN and SMS messages? I have a friend who is complaining that his wife is getting print outs of his BB conversations and access to PIN messages that he has been receiving. He has a Curve 8320.
    We checked the Phone using Kisses and it reports no Malware detected.
    Thanks for the input.......
    08-10-10 11:02 AM
    I've never heard of that before. I don't think its possible

08-10-10 11:21 AM
    Yes, it's possible, but it's expensive, and the person must have direct access to the BB, to install the app. One such program is called flexispy. He should wipe the BB, then reinstall an OS, then password protect it!
    08-10-10 11:38 AM
    Thanks,
    She did have access so it is very possible. Before the phone is wiped, is it possible to pick up that the app is there? We have looked but did not find anything.......
    08-10-10 12:05 PM
    Why do you think your phone has this on it? Did someone physically get it and mess around with it? If so, then maybe worry, but if not, like others mentioned you can't do it remotely....

Who don't trust you is the bigger question...lock your berry mang! Don't make it a normal password either someone may guess.

08-10-10 02:40 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD