Again, how would that differ from a KEY² scaled to the same width (and proportionally greater height) as the Passport.
    They could use minimal bezels and or a 4:3 screen. The KB has one less row.
    04-19-19 12:35 PM
    I think all these Passport lovers would pay extra for a good screen... At least that is what they say.
    People said that if someone made a BB10-style launcher for the Key series, that everyone would pay for it. It sold in the dozens, and the developers lost a lot of money on it (before BB send them a Cease & Desist).

There might be 20 or 30 people - hell, let's say 100 - who would pay the super high price an ultra-niche phone would cost (think: several thousand dollars), but that's not enough to break even, much less make a profit, so who is going to volunteer to do a lot of work for a monetary loss? And given the fact that TCL holds the global BB license, if they aren't on that list, it doesn't matter anyway.
    04-19-19 10:58 PM
    People said that if someone made a BB10-style launcher for the Key series, that everyone would pay for it. It sold in the dozens, and the developers lost a lot of money on it (before BB send them a Cease & Desist).

There might be 20 or 30 people - hell, let's say 100 - who would pay the super high price an ultra-niche phone would cost (think: several thousand dollars), but that's not enough to break even, much less make a profit, so who is going to volunteer to do a lot of work for a monetary loss? And given the fact that TCL holds the global BB license, if they aren't on that list, it doesn't matter anyway.
    We were talking about an Android compliant Passport styled phone. Same width but taller. I suggested a price point a little higher than a Key2. The BB10 Passport's screen was a distinguishing feature.
    04-20-19 01:06 AM
    We were talking about an Android compliant Passport styled phone. Same width but taller. I suggested a price point a little higher than a Key2. The BB10 Passport's screen was a distinguishing feature.
    You could sell dozens with that, dozens!
    04-20-19 09:41 AM

Yes, TCL probably has BlacKBerry's numbers. It probably makes sense to make just one format.
    04-20-19 11:32 AM
    Where have you been cgk? Nice to see you around.
    04-20-19 12:13 PM
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/27/w...ered-passport/

"However, the amount of time and effort required to make Google Play Services work at such an unusual aspect ratio for essentially one device was deemed not worth it; the decision to scuttle Oslo was made by both BlackBerry and Google — though other factors also played a role, according to our sources."
    And the "*******" child Passport Silver was born!
    04-20-19 06:06 PM
    Remember back when we all loved our bb passports and wished we could get android on a passport. Well because of screen ratios and whatnot we were denied that by saying the device screen did not conform to android guidelines. I'm curious to know if the new galaxy fold conforms to such strict aspect ratio rules. I mean the front outer screen is a 21:9 and the inner foldable screen is closer to a squarish design. I'm asking because if such a random pile of screen ratios can be supported by Google. Why not a simple 1:1?
    Heck, Blackberry is in the Software bizness (r they listening here at all?)...why don't they just build an app to project the full android screen across two key series smartphones for one functioning unit (heck even a bb10 passport would be sweet...then the dual passport might even be android compliant)....I dunno through standard wireless protocols or some proprietary tricks. Just sell the BB monogrammed maybe bulletproof spine, built from hamilton steel (lol) to hold the two devices together along with the app.
    Boom! Mike Drop (again) now you have a foldable that probably still comes in under samsung's and that other maker my-way or something price points. Bonus feature (dual-sims) or even four sims for the right device. Gotta think pkb typing will be a whole new level of fast ...with the hands now in a more natural state further apart...right hand for the right keyboard left hand for the left keyboard.
    04-20-19 10:04 PM
    Hey...maybe Blackberry can make it so the spine will hold your old KeyOne on one side and your new KeyTwo on the other.......or maybe just a z30 and leap for the bb10 core.

...and a sweet bonus is, if the project across two screens app is not running, then boom you can have two apps running!, one on each phone!... You might ask, how do i keep coming up with brilliant ideas?...well I can't do this all day long you know.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 04-21-19 at 12:14 AM.
    04-20-19 10:06 PM
    Where have you been cgk? Nice to see you around.

Hello - you know how it is - life. I saw the announcements about the end of BBM and thought I'd pop back...
    04-21-19 09:28 AM
    Hello - you know how it is - life. I saw the announcements about the end of BBM and thought I'd pop back...
    Whatever the reason, it’s great to see you, hope all is well.
    04-21-19 12:41 PM
36 12