Remember back when we all loved our bb passports and wished we could get android on a passport. Well because of screen ratios and whatnot we were denied that by saying the device screen did not conform to android guidelines. I'm curious to know if the new galaxy fold conforms to such strict aspect ratio rules. I mean the front outer screen is a 21:9 and the inner foldable screen is closer to a squarish design. I'm asking because if such a random pile of screen ratios can be supported by Google. Why not a simple 1:1?
    04-19-19 08:37 AM
    Remember back when we all loved our bb passports and wished we could get android on a passport. Well because of screen ratios and whatnot we were denied that by saying the device screen did not conform to android guidelines. I'm curious to know if the new galaxy fold conforms to such strict aspect ratio rules. I mean the front outer screen is a 21:9 and the inner foldable screen is closer to a squarish design. I'm asking because if such a random pile of screen ratios can be supported by Google. Why not a simple 1:1?
    Fold is 1.4:1.

Material Design currently allows down to 1.33:1.
    BigAl_BB9900 and Rico4you like this.
    04-19-19 08:52 AM
    damn. gonna hav to go back to Taiwan or china and ask someone there to replace the internals of a silver edition with newer hardware and run a aosp build. we know the screen size isn't supported but as with the silver edition that was out in the wild we know it can work. maybe even get them to remap the keyboard to function properly. lol
    04-19-19 09:00 AM
    so a passport like device with a 1440 x 1915 screen would be acceptable?
    04-19-19 09:03 AM
    so a passport like device with a 1440 x 1915 screen would be acceptable?
    I suppose, sure.
    04-19-19 09:05 AM
    damn. gonna hav to go back to Taiwan or china and ask someone there to replace the internals of a silver edition with newer hardware and run a aosp build. we know the screen size isn't supported but as with the silver edition that was out in the wild we know it can work. maybe even get them to remap the keyboard to function properly. lol
    Google and BlackBerry tried to "make it work" but realized it wasn't feasible, so they abandoned the project.
    04-19-19 09:06 AM
    Google and BlackBerry tried to "make it work" but realized it wasn't feasible, so they abandoned the project.
    Could you explain this comment further. I was not aware that Google was involved in a Passport project with BlackBerry.

Personally my thought has always been that the 1:1 screen was a mistake that limited PKB phone designs. Going Android afforded BlackBerry with the opportunity to correct their mistake.
    04-19-19 09:30 AM
    Could you explain this comment further. I was not aware that Google was involved in a Passport project with BlackBerry.

Personally my thought has always been that the 1:1 screen was a mistake that limited PKB phone designs. Going Android afforded BlackBerry with the opportunity to correct their mistake.
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/27/w...ered-passport/

"However, the amount of time and effort required to make Google Play Services work at such an unusual aspect ratio for essentially one device was deemed not worth it; the decision to scuttle Oslo was made by both BlackBerry and Google — though other factors also played a role, according to our sources."
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-19-19 09:46 AM

https://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/27/w...ered-passport/
    04-19-19 09:46 AM
    Seriously!!..........beat me by.....what.......10 seconds @conite
    04-19-19 09:47 AM
    Seriously!!..........beat me by.....what.......10 seconds @conite
    The power of the KEY².
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-19-19 09:49 AM
    If you find someone.... you might consider setting up a small business, as I think many other here would pay to have their Passport Internals upgraded and a more current OS installed.

For that matter add the PRIV and the KEY2 (it there isn't a KEY3, your sure to have some demand).

If someone will do this for a reasonable price...
    04-19-19 10:12 AM
    If you find someone.... you might consider setting up a small business, as I think many other here would pay to have their Passport Internals upgraded and a more current OS installed.

For that matter add the PRIV and the KEY2 (it there isn't a KEY3, your sure to have some demand).

Lol I think that market us a super small one amongst an already tiny fanbase here on CB
    04-19-19 10:30 AM
    Thanks! I had not read that article.

It just seems to me that it would have been easier and better to adapt the Passport hardware for Android rather than adapt the software for 1:1.

I still am of the view that TCL could make an Android Passport. I guess TCL has decided to spend development resources of foldable phones and better Alcatels.
    04-19-19 10:55 AM
    Thanks! I had not read that article.

It just seems to me that it would have been easier and better to adapt the Passport hardware for Android rather than adapt the software for 1:1.
    Sorry, I don't know what you mean by this.
    04-19-19 10:57 AM

I was reminded of the time when we built our own PC'S from parts. Buying new motherboards or retrofitting higher speed processors. Good times.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-19-19 10:58 AM
    I was reminded of the time when we built our own PC'S from parts. Buying new motherboards or retrofitting higher speed processors. Good times.
    I had the same case for almost 10 years at one point! Lol.
    04-19-19 11:03 AM
    Sorry, I don't know what you mean by this.
    Just that the Passport is short and wide. From an engineering point of view it seems easier to fit up the Passport design with a screen that was Android compliant rather trying to adapt the software for 1:1 screens.

The Passport design could have been taller but certainly not wider.

As an aside, the Passport had an outstanding screen. TCL is a screen maker so I am thinking that the next Key device should have a top grade screen.
    04-19-19 11:19 AM

But you'd be talking about a giant KEYx device then (scaled up in both directions)?
    Last edited by conite; 04-19-19 at 11:54 AM.
    04-19-19 11:22 AM
    Just that the Passport is short and wide. From an engineering point of view it seems easier to fit up the Passport design with a screen that was Android compliant rather trying to adapt the software for 1:1 screens.

As an aside, the Passport had an outstanding screen. TCL is a screen maker so I am thinking that the next Key device should have a top grade screen.
    I am thinking that if there is a next KEY device.. is will have a "good enough" LCD display. I just don't see the price point for a top grade AMOLED display on a BBMo product.

It would be great if they used their new AMOLED DragonHige for their next BlackBerry Slab... call it the Z-PlayBook. That way Z50 users get their much dreamed of Flagship as well as those hoping for a PlayBook2.
    04-19-19 11:40 AM
    But then it wouldn't be exactly the same size as a travel passport lol
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-19-19 11:52 AM
    But you'd be talking about a giant KEYx device then (scaled up in both directions)?
    Yes and no. The current Passport is only 128 mm tall . Even the current iPhone 8 (not plus) is taller at 138 mm. An Android compliant Passport could be taller but with no additional width. It would appeal to those who love that keyboard and working wide.

As we know, the 1:1 screen is dead.
    04-19-19 12:18 PM
    Yes and no. The current Passport is only 128 mm tall . Even the current iPhone 8 (not plus) is taller at 138 mm. An Android compliant Passport could be taller but with no additional width. It would appeal to those who love that keyboard and working wide.

As we know, the 1:1 screen is dead.
    Again, how would that differ from a KEY² scaled to the same width (and proportionally greater height) as the Passport.
    04-19-19 12:24 PM
    But then it wouldn't be exactly the same size as a travel passport lol
    It might be Passport sized if they had minimal notch design at the top like Samsung.
    04-19-19 12:26 PM
    I am thinking that if there is a next KEY device.. is will have a "good enough" LCD display. I just don't see the price point for a top grade AMOLED display on a BBMo product.

It would be great if they used their new AMOLED DragonHige for their next BlackBerry Slab... call it the Z-PlayBook. That way Z50 users get their much dreamed of Flagship as well as those hoping for a PlayBook2.
    I think all these Passport lovers would pay extra for a good screen... At least that is what they say.

Idsteve talked about a folding keyboard. The PKB could face down when folded but swing up on top of the screen when in use.
    04-19-19 12:32 PM
36 12