So I heard from a friend that the new Blackberries don't use BIS anymore. How does that work in regards to BBM? Doesn't it not work without BIS? Also, how does email work without BIS? Is it similar to iOS/Android/WP now?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Z10 and using it on a prepaid carrier that normally doesn't support BB, only other smartphones. Does this mean I'll be able to use a Z10 with it and have access to BBM and data?
    01-30-13 03:58 PM
    ...Anyone?
    01-30-13 04:40 PM
    It would be very good to know. Hopefully one of our UK buddies will let us know. There's been lots of rumour but no concrete evidence.
    01-30-13 04:46 PM
    I am hopefully getting a unit today which can answer this question as I dont have BIS/BES on my SIM yet.

I think the device is using ActiveSync where possible - so you should be able to get your work email up using that if you are on Exchange servers. I have the impression from speaking with a couple of employees at EE that a BIS plan is needed for standard push email and BBM. This would make some sense based on the past with BB7, but I was hoping they would drop the BIS service requirement in order to make adoption alot easier for pro-sumers who jump handsets alot.

I will report back when I have more info for you.
    Waqiuddin likes this.
    01-31-13 03:37 AM
    I doubt that it is truly dropping BIS from the back end of everything. BBM will still go through the NOC. It is just that us, as consumers, won't see it as an extra service fee.

Email, web, and things like that will probably be handled differently, especially since they are doing away with the @carrier.blackberry.net email addresses, but things like Push will still be handle by the NOC.
    01-31-13 07:21 AM
    Hi guys - I have the answer for you all.... and it is good news!

Please see http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-email-766363/ for more details

I have a standard O2 UK SIM on a group business contract (10 SIMs sharing a pool of minutes/text/gigs) which is designed for iPhone/Android usage - no BIS/BES is on the tarriff. Upon inserting my SIM into my new Z10 the device wouldnt get the little BlackBerry Icon in the top right by the signal meter - this was disapointing. However having spoken to Phones4U and O2 Retail they confirmed it should work fine.

Long story short, there is a menu option to register the device - this seems to kick something off on the network and about an hour later up came the BlackBerry's in the corner. BBM is fine, browsing is fine, Exchange is fine. Without the BlackBerrys it doesn't work on 3G - but it works fine over WiFi.
    Last edited by richbayliss; 02-01-13 at 06:04 AM.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-31-13 03:42 PM
    Basically, activsync is handling it all aside from bbm which Is noc. They couldn't get the noc to work completely with bb10 way back when
    01-31-13 04:35 PM
    So you will use more data if browing doesn't go through the noc. I have a 1gb cap, and I'm very close to that limit on my 9900.
    01-31-13 06:32 PM
    I'm sure there is going to be a lot of issues that need rethinking and bugs that need fixing with this OS-like any new OS. Still Blackberry without BIS/BES doesn't seem normal!
    01-31-13 06:36 PM
    I can confirm - 100% - that BBM works on a Z10 without a BIS or BES data plan. I used a SIM from a Windows Phone 8 and everything works fine. You use your BlackBerry ID and it works. Yes, you will use more data. Other threads asking the same question. I dont think anyone really knows.
    01-31-13 06:44 PM
    This has puzzled me too. When the Vodafone worker was talking me through my contract Thursday morning he showed that I am getting BlackBerry services included for free.
    01-31-13 07:16 PM
    I can confirm - 100% - that BBM works on a Z10 without a BIS or BES data plan. I used a SIM from a Windows Phone 8 and everything works fine. You use your BlackBerry ID and it works. Yes, you will use more data. Other threads asking the same question. I dont think anyone really knows.
    I have started a thread about this, with screenshots, and I am hoping to get it made sticky.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-email-766363/
    02-01-13 06:05 AM
    It works fine!! All my contacts were there from the get go, thanks BB ID

Played around with the bbm video chat at the launch and it is brilliant!!!
    02-01-13 06:09 AM
    i hope it is easy to retain my bis Sim. id rather keep it then get a standard data plan. but i think that is an issue for the future

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-01-13 06:34 AM
    Is BBM going through the carrier or wi-fi in your example? Maybe you will be able to use it if you are in countries where you benefit from the one price option. Like Asia and Africa.
    02-01-13 06:36 AM
    through the carrier, or if u want u can use both
    02-01-13 06:38 AM
    There seems to be some deliberate confusion on BlackBerry's part regarding this. Maybe they don't want the investment community to panic and drive down the shares further.
    02-01-13 07:13 AM
    Wait, is that a fact there's no longer any access to carrier.blackberry.com email?
    02-01-13 11:10 AM
    If BBM works without BIS, then what is the advantage of subscribing to BIS with BB10?
    02-01-13 11:17 AM
    Can my blackberry9320 work witouht bis
    05-26-13 03:17 AM
    Can my blackberry9320 work witouht bis
    The 9320 isn't BB10 so BIS is something that you will need to get the full features to work. It'll still work for calls and texts, but not a lot else.
    05-26-13 03:47 AM