Lent a friend a camera-less 9780 Blackberry. He loses it one week later. Someone activates it and I had no way of locating it or getting it back, so I didn't really care. It was stolen and the thief got away with it. I added him last month and he said it was sold to him... I did not believe it.
    I registered my new Torch on Blackberry protect and saw that I had registered that last device that was stolen. So I simply remotely wiped it, just because that guy who has it is a bad man, wouldn't even give me the device back.
    HA!
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-29-11 09:59 AM
    Know what would be cool? If you could over charge the battery via protect.
    Boom...
    08-29-11 10:41 AM
    Instead of remotely wiping it, why did you not file a police report and use BBP to allow easier tracking of the phone? The retail value of the 9780 puts it into GRAND THEFT territory.
    08-29-11 11:13 AM
    or... you take your friend and "wipe" him instead.

why didnt you track him?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 11:37 AM
    That phone was beat up and the camera was toast from water damage. Here in Canada, that phone wouldn't really be grand theft. I also tried to track it and did not work. I am not even sure if the wipe worked or not. My intentions were at least good right?
    I just wanna say that, that program is great for all Blackberry users!
    08-29-11 11:37 AM
    Even better would have been to make your the phone ring really loud every night at 3am using the 'lost phone' option
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-29-11 11:42 AM
    Instead of remotely wiping it, why did you not file a police report and use BBP to allow easier tracking of the phone? The retail value of the 9780 puts it into GRAND THEFT territory.
    Most cops won't bother to take cell phone reports. They're a waste of time. I used to take those reports day in and day out when I dispatched. Nothing was ever done to get back a lost phone. Unless someone came into the PD and said "Hey! I've got this stolen phone here and I'd like to turn myself in. Please arrest me!" the case was closed, just like with credit card theft. My own cards were stolen and they didn't do anything about it. The thief even used my stolen checks to put up a water deposit. The detectives HAVE the thief's new address and didn't do anything.

Crime does pay.
    08-29-11 12:03 PM
    Tracking people down over cell phones? Good way to get hurt... Last time I had anything stolen, it wasn't a friendly old grandma. The Police route (yeah, probably wouldn't do jack) or exactly what the OP did is probably the smartest choice. I guess tracking from a distance just to observe the person, wouldn't be too bad.
    08-29-11 12:29 PM
    Just as I thought. You lose something, you start over... Unless its a car!
    08-29-11 12:29 PM
    Activate the tracking and go to the area it shows. Then activate the loud ring feature and display the message feature to show "Return Phone to Owner". Then draw firearm and politely ask for the BB back. No luck, then lock or wipe the device.
    08-29-11 12:59 PM
    Actually if the OP tracked me down with that dog, I might think twice about returning it.

Kind of looks like a puppy in that pic though.
    08-29-11 01:02 PM
    Just as I thought. You lose something, you start over... Unless its a car!
    Or your life.
    08-29-11 01:13 PM
    I'd bring the fury doing a random wipe based off a daily D&D roll.

If you can wipe your device more than once from BBP?

EDIT: I'm a griefer in MMO's too.
    08-29-11 06:44 PM
    That phone was beat up and the camera was toast from water damage. Here in Canada, that phone wouldn't really be grand theft. I also tried to track it and did not work. I am not even sure if the wipe worked or not. My intentions were at least good right?
    I just wanna say that, that program is great for all Blackberry users!
    I think you did just fine! I'd give it a few more wipes every so often just to make sure
    08-29-11 08:52 PM
    I"m with araLe-tot and BGK-- send a wipe signal every couple of weeks or so that way if the thief sells/gives it to someone else they will be learn the joys of buying stolen property.
    08-30-11 09:08 AM
    you should make it ring every 2 minutes just to drive him nuts. (For a few minutes)
    brava27 likes this.
    08-30-11 09:22 AM
    BB protect works a lot. First lock the phone. Then wipe the phone at least 10 times. Then ring the phone every 10 seconds for as long as possible. Once done, GPS track it and see if you can do the job. If its nearby hitch in your car, get to the location and then go to your friends house and give him 10 slaps. That should do the trick

08-30-11 10:37 AM
    Blackberry protect is great, if indoors, gps won't work correctly, cell tower assistance will not be as precise and you might get the wrong location. If he is outside, keep tracking and then once it goes inside a house, get it back that way. Or go with a cop or tough friend to get it back from the thief.

08-30-11 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD