With the news of the amazon app store coming does this mean companies are done with making native apps?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:32 AM
    Companies were done with native apps a long time ago. Let's be honest with ourselves.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:35 AM
    I can't think of any reason why a large company would continue to invest in a native BB10 app. I predict a slew of existing native BB10 apps being discontinued in favor of pointing to the Android version.
    JeepBB and jem9777 like this.
    06-18-14 08:39 AM
    BlackBerry can integrate the apps into the OS better. the native experience will not be lost, in my opinion. it will work better and better, as if it were native
    06-18-14 08:41 AM
    Fingers Cross!

BlackBerry can integrate the apps into the OS better. the native experience will not be lost, in my opinion. it will work better and better, as if it were native
    06-18-14 08:43 AM
    Hard to say what "companies" are going to do but i would think that there is always room for native apps.
    06-18-14 08:45 AM
    Hard to say what "companies" are going to do but i would think that there is always room for native apps.
    Room isn't the problem, it's incentive. It always has been and it will continue to be. Now more than ever since there's even less incentive to develop native.
    06-18-14 08:47 AM
    I don't think Blackberry is done with native apps. Native apps are always bring a much more reliable and consistent feeling to the users. Proof is 10.3 SDK for developers were still updated with awesome stuffs in the API.
    yvpan1 and Evilguppy like this.
    06-18-14 08:51 AM
    I think it would be wise to use the Android app as a tester to see if it's worth developing a Native version. This is the goal of the Android Runtime before right?
    06-18-14 08:53 AM
    The native "experience" won't happen for me until I can set security settings on all Android apps when they're installed. I don't know of any Android apps that allow that capability; at least, I have yet to see any. Besides, the whole idea of being native is centered around processing efficiency. You're always going to have an extra layer of processing by running a runtime on top of the OS. That's just silly. Might as well go buy an Android phone at that point.

Yes, I am Debbie Downer today. Amazon store news is bad news IMO.
    06-18-14 08:56 AM
    Personally, I think the goal of the android runtime was an immediate bandaid for the app gap. It has always been a double edges sword.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:57 AM
    It's not a finality. BB needs to sell more handsets. Especially BB10 handsets. As long as the company is alive and should one day back to a respectable market share, the native apps will thrive again. For now a temporary hiatus.
    Jrox74, A_Aviator_A, mkiiw and 6 others like this.
    06-18-14 08:57 AM
    I wish BlackBerry would have integrated Amazon into BlackBerry World instead of stripping features and apps out of BlackBerry World.

This would have been better for app developers and customers. Amazon supports very few countries right now so what happens to support for them? Plus there's no way for BlackBerry to go to app developers and let them know how many android versions of their apps have been downloaded. And BlackBerry could have taken a percentage and shared a percentage of sales if it went through BlackBerry World.

Now users are going to require a new account and login and it's addition with subtraction. If BlackBerry was smart they would have worked out a deal to promote and highlight amazon within BlackBerry World. It would have been such a better experience for us users, but obviously that isn't a major concern for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan, Aybesea and FastLane228 like this.
    06-18-14 09:06 AM
    It is to lure android users to BlackBerry. But when they realize things doesn't work as they should, everyone (including BlackBerry) will blame Amazon. BlackBerry world stays afloat.

BBQ10
    yvpan1 and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-18-14 09:07 AM
    Real native apps, written in C++... yeah I think so. Why would anyone spend money on BB10 developers when you can just develop an Android app, and somewhat adapt it do BlackBerry? There's no real advantage in it, unfortunately. The BlackBerry user base is just too small.
    zachgeo likes this.
    06-18-14 09:09 AM
    Well, it's not like any big name companies made any native apps. The biggest one would be Whatsapp (as far as i can remember).
    06-18-14 09:18 AM
    Android apps don't allow you to set security settings because the whole goal of the android platform is to gather and transmit your personal information to Google and app developers. If you actually read what some android apps collect it would be enough for you to abandon smartphone use altogether

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:19 AM
    As a full time Native BB developer I do not see how I can continue doing native apps and make a living.

This is slap in the face. This is the end of BlackBerry.
    06-18-14 09:19 AM
    As a full time Native BB developer I do not see how I can continue doing native apps and make a living.

I never did fully invest in BB10 development, but I can feel your pain. You've been one of the ones to stick with them through all of this. They really are burning all the bridges.
    Aybesea likes this.
    06-18-14 09:24 AM

I get that you may decide not to develop apps for BB10 because of all the competition that you are going to get from the Amazon store but I don't see the connection to this being then end of BlackBerry.
    habs_fan likes this.
    06-18-14 09:26 AM

I understand the feeling, but they're really just trying to survive as a company. They kinda explain things more in: What the Amazon Appstore Licensing Deal Means for BlackBerry Devs | BlackBerry Developer Blog

Maybe someone else can figure out what they're implying, but it sounds like consumer apps are being offloaded to Amazon, while enterprise development might still focus on Native?
    donmateo likes this.
    06-18-14 09:26 AM

At the same time, if BlackBerry wasn't able to sell handsets (as is quickly becoming the case) and went bankrupt, that wouldn't help your situation either.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:31 AM
    Here is the problem with "offloading consumer apps to the android world": all android apps are a security breach to one extent or another. You cannot have an effective BES with enterprise level security on which the Amazon store is installing droid apps anymore than you can have secure Internet with the NSA listening in at the workstation level even if your infrastructure is secure...and in real life the line between what is a consumer app and what is an enterprise app is not as clear cut as one would like.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 and FastLane228 like this.
    06-18-14 09:32 AM
    I understand the feeling, but they're really just trying to survive as a company. They kinda explain things more in: What the Amazon Appstore Licensing Deal Means for BlackBerry Devs | BlackBerry Developer Blog

Maybe someone else can figure out what they're implying, but it sounds like consumer apps are being offloaded to Amazon, while enterprise development might still focus on Native?
    I don't see how anyone native dev would still do native apps and can make a living and if i'm the user why would I buy BB apps while i can download 100,000s of free android apps?
    georg4BB and JeepBB like this.
    06-18-14 09:34 AM
    No not done with native apps. I think this is more of switch a roo. The reason we have not had more native apps is because bb10 didn't sell that well
    Why because people were told there was no apps. Now that BlackBerry has the agreement with amazon more people might take the chance with BlackBerry which would mean more people have them. Which would mean more dev's would take the time to make a native app
    Just my opinion. Native is always better than a port

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by silversmith75; 06-18-14 at 10:34 AM.
    bibbula, ultra07 and Z30Commission like this.
    06-18-14 09:34 AM
258 123 ...