Couldn't BlackBerry make a TV ad showing what BB10 can do?
    What exactly would you show in such a commercial?
    12-05-15 06:24 AM
    I've seen the rumours, and a Surface Phone may be in my future.

However, I reckon there'll be an iPhone between now and that future.
    I am currently an AAPL shareholder so I have nothing against Apple; but, I don't think Apple is going to release anything revolutionary between now and the Surface Phone.

When a smartphone actually running desktop Windows 10 hits, it won't matter what the competition is offering. It won't even matter if the phone costs something crazy like 1500 USD, akin to the Surface tablet costing much more than an iPad. A segment of the consumers (don't know how large) is guaranteed to switch over.

We all know that smartphones should have been capable of running desktop Windows for a while. A number of Android and Windows tablets share the same specs. Microsoft know that is guaranteed marketshare so its biding its sweet time. That and again the company is grossly incompetent.

Anyway, I hope that a Surface phone hits soon. Even if it costs an astronomical amount and I never buy it, it will pressure Google and Android OEMs to open up bootloaders.
    12-05-15 07:10 AM
    So do iOS and Android. They have an ecosystem, but no solid OS.

Posted via CB10
    iOS and Android are solid OS's. The world has not been duped. It's almost getting silly around here how much BB10 is idolized.
    12-05-15 09:03 AM
    Spot on. All the mobile phone os are the same in terms in functionality, what they differentiate is how each goes about it and the hardware it runs on. Which is why people are not leaving Android and IOS in droves just because a new smartphone os pop up. They are happy with what they have.

One thing to point out that in the 1 and 2 year android was released to the public - android itself was not marketed by Google directly. The first Galaxy phones barely mentioned android at all. Motorola's droid line did not highlight android. Samsung, motorola and HTC were marketing their phones as their own - their ads only mentioned Android on the specs sheet - Android was not the focus of the ads. But Android was a good os and it became the clear alternative to IOS at the time when no other company was prepared to do so.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    12-05-15 10:25 AM
    Saw my first BlackBerry ad on the Internet. This is in the SF Chronicle newspaper

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 11:15 AM
    What exactly would you show in such a commercial?
    All the hidden features that iOS and Android users would take note of, but not mentioning the apps problem. Ads are for highlighting the good of a product, not its biggest problem.

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    12-05-15 12:57 PM
    Saw my first BlackBerry ad on the Internet. This is in the SF Chronicle newspaper

Posted via CB10
    May have been a targeted ad and not seen by all.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 01:29 PM
    That's not true. There are a number of existing x86 Android devices and, yes, that are mostly app compatible. Their lack of popularity is due in part to Intel's lack of good radio solution and middling performance.
    Then I'd say it is true. Intel has not had a solution for x86 on mobile that can win in the market. Simply existing is not cutting it. Yes the Surface Phone is rumored to use x86. Which if you listen to Paul Thurrott a noteworthy Windows watcher, means it will probably not be very thin or run very cool in a tight small package. Meaning it can't really be in the same consumer class with iPhones for example. Now for certain enterprise verticals who knows. We use plenty of crappy Windows CE hand hand terminals where I work only because of integrated scanning and a ruggedized form factor. Maybe Windows Phone can work in some markets where there is specialized hardware support.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    12-05-15 07:19 PM
    Couldn't BlackBerry make a TV ad showing what BB10 can do?

Posted via CB10
    It's funny because BlackBerry never listened to the customer like they claimed. But now they listened to us about advertising.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 03:25 AM
    So do iOS and Android. They have an ecosystem, but no solid OS.

Posted via CB10
    When the wallets voted, ecosystem > OS.

I honestly can't find much fault in IOS on my ipad though. I just hate its wretched stock VKB. No Hub of course, but I just use the Yahoo mail app. But navigating and using the OS honestly isn't that much different from my Classic.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-06-15 07:20 AM
    All the hidden features that iOS and Android users would take note of, but not mentioning the apps problem. Ads are for highlighting the good of a product, not its biggest problem.

Posted via CB10
    This will just lead to refunds and inventory writeoffs. One can pretend the Z10 didn't happen, but it did, and when it had no popular apps, it failed hard. Verizon's diminished faith in BlackBerry stemmed from the money they lost on the Z10 (I won't even mention the Storm). It was advertised. It was in stores. The nation's largest carrier had it available. Customers bought it. It didn't meet their needs. They returned it and bought Android and Apple phones, swearing to never touch BlackBerry again. Deny it all you want- this is what happened.

People *expect* certain things from their phones. They *expect* to be able to click, download, click, run. BlackBerry fans continuously understate the importance of the app ecosystem. This is 2015, not 2005.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-06-15 07:33 AM
    Apple computer initially didn't have an ecosystem thus their failure in the 90's.
    Apple Mac computers are a great example: single-digit market share, expensive for what they are, produced in low volumes, run Windows as a fallback measure to extend their appeal... BlackBerry 10 could have a business model like this, but for BlackBerry Management's failings.

Case in point: when was the last time you saw an Apple computer marketed directly to clerical staff in banks or to gamers? Never, because Apple unlike BlackBerry stopped trying to compete with Windows head to head, and have a niche market of creative professionals and those that aspire to same and they know who those customers are and pursue them with focused and clear messages.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 12-17-15 at 04:52 PM.
    crackberry_geek and TgeekB like this.
    12-17-15 12:11 PM
    Apple Mac computers are a great example: single-digit market share, expensive for what they are, produced in low volumes, run Windows as a fallback measure to extend their appeal... BlackBerry 10 could have a business model like this, but for BlackBerry Management's failings.

Case in point: when was the last time you saw an Apple computer marketed directly to clerical staff in banks or to gamers? Never, because Apple unlike BlackBerry stopped trying to compete with Windows head to head, and have a niche market of creative professionals and those that aspire to same and they know who those customers and pursue them with focused and clear messages.

Posted via CB10
    My hope is that BlackBerry keeps and maintains BlackBerry 10 for us niche users.

Z30 wickedness
    12-17-15 03:02 PM
    iOS and Android are solid OS's. The world has not been duped. It's almost getting silly around here how much BB10 is idolized.
    At this point in the industry, it seems silly to even have a debate about OSes. They're all modern OSes. They all browse well. They all work well with touch screens. They're all solid. It's possible to make them all secure enough to meet your needs.

At this point, it's a battle of devices and apps and ecosystem, not OS capabilities.
    TgeekB, JeepBB, kvndoom and 1 others like this.
    12-17-15 03:07 PM
    It's no surprise the two most heavily marketed devices are the best selling, abilities aside.

Z30 wickedness
    12-17-15 06:58 PM
    It's no surprise the two most heavily marketed devices are the best selling, abilities aside.

Z30 wickedness
    Correlation is not the same thing as causation.
    12-17-15 07:07 PM
    Get ready for more ?

12-20-15 04:10 AM
    Correlation is not the same thing as causation.
    When it happens again and again and again and again... then yes it is most probable to assume that correlation very certainly implies causation.

It's funny that you think one example (Z10... a flawed device to start with) proves your point yet ignore years of other non flawed models that prove otherwise.

Yes the Z10 was marketed. But it was a pathetic campaign for a flawed device. Not much of an example to spout as proof that marketing doesn't work.

On the other night... followed by years of completely abandoned advertising it is no surprise at all that no one knows BB10 even existed. The cause and correlation cannot be disputed.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and domokeats09 like this.
    12-20-15 09:41 AM
    Anybody happen to see the Democratic Debate last night? Blackberry was a major sponsor for
    the telecast!!! Was shocked when the announcer said "Welcom the Democratic Presidential Debate
    sponsonred by Blackberry and the Blaclberry Priv!!!! first time in a loooooonnnngggg time a BB
    advertisement let alone actual sponosors creds on a primetime TV telecast in the U.S. I think!!!!
    12-20-15 09:48 AM
    Anybody happen to see the Democratic Debate last night? Blackberry was a major sponsor for
    the telecast!!! Was shocked when the announcer said "Welcom the Democratic Presidential Debate
    sponsonred by Blackberry and the Blaclberry Priv!!!! first time in a loooooonnnngggg time a BB
    advertisement let alone actual sponosors creds on a primetime TV telecast in the U.S. I think!!!!
    Wow I didn't know this!

BTW Z10 was far from flawed. Major battery issues.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 10:39 AM

BTW Z10 was far from flawed. Major battery issues.

Posted via CB10
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the Z10... having 2 of them.

But it was very certainly flawed at launch with random reboot issues. While it was resolved with updates, the damage was already done. And to my point... once the issue was resolved there was no further advertising.

Regarding the poor battery... that was just inexcusable on BlackBerry's part. Just one of the many examples of almost hitting a home run only to screw up something so major that it simply cannot be overlooked.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-20-15 11:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yea but those are specialized Google ads. They show you ads based on your likes

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 12:23 PM
    Regarding the poor battery... that was just inexcusable on BlackBerry's part. Just one of the many examples of almost hitting a home run only to screw up something so major that it simply cannot be overlooked.
    I remember people trying very hard to whitewash the battery life and the reboot issues.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-20-15 12:55 PM
    I remember people trying very hard to whitewash the battery life and the reboot issues.
    Yup. Those of us saying it was happening to us were told by many we were doing something wrong. I finally sold mine. I couldn't take it any more.
    12-20-15 01:03 PM
    BB10 users put too much importance on smartphones for Corporate success. When people are at the office the PC with multiple screens dominate. They won't use their puny screened phones with weak computer chips to analyse commodities and stock markets. Most workers also receive and make calls via the office landline for quality assurance and evidence purposes. I mainly use my smartphone to access or receive non-work related stuff. So let's cut the BS about BB10 phones as command control centers. At most I use my mobile phone during work 10% of the time. The rest of my time is spent in meetings, collaborating with my office mates or at my desk crunching numbers. I can even go as far as saying I'm more productive if I leave my phone in the drawer to cut out unnecessary distractions.
    I would have agreed with most of this until I got to experience the passport on bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-20-15 at 05:30 PM.
    12-20-15 02:08 PM
389 ... 13141516