Hello,

I am going on holiday to the Caribbean this morning (I live in England) and I was thinking. What if, when I arrive in the Caribbean I turn off my radio signal and simply leave the WiFi signal on my phone? I am assuming that the hotel has free WiFi.

If I contstantly have WiFi signal but I keep my radio off, what notifications will I receive? Will I JUST get emails and Facebook notifications? Will I receive SMS notification?

Further, will keeping the free WiFi signal on and hence receiving my emails and Facebook (and potentially SMS) incur any extra cost as I will be in a separate country? Or could I, because it us WiFi, browse the web all day and download, read and send as many emails as I want?

Thanks for your help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-10 12:54 AM
    Don't assume the hotel has wi-fi, and if they do, don't assume it's free. Some places have it and some don't. Some charge for it, and some don't. It all just depends on the place your at, every place is different.

As far as what you'll get from wi-fi... You can get your e-mail, any IM client you use including BBM, your Facebook stuff, among other things. One thing I know you will NOT get when using wi-fi is SMS/MMS, they rely upon the cellular network signal for that so if you have that turned off or are out of signal range you will not receive those messages.

The only extra cost you could incur in the examples you laid out is if the place your staying charges for their wi-fi connection.

Enjoy the Caribbean, I am jealous.
    02-12-10 01:10 AM
    Emails are delivered via BIS and charged as data. You can log into your account via Wi-Fi to check your email, but you may want to disable push delivery to eliminate excessive data charges.

SMS is serviced by your carrier's system, not via Wi-Fi. Check with them regarding rates or other charges. If you do not want them, disable delivery-Options>Security Settings>Firewall>Enable>lock out SMS. There are other options you can use the Firewall to stop.

To not receive Data at all, Manage Connections>Mobile Network Options>data Services: Off.

Check into the availability of a local prepaid SIM card for services in the Islands. You may be able to find something that would be of benefit.

I'm sure others will chime in with more information. Here's to a fine holiday, and best wishes for a safe trip.

02-12-10 01:19 AM
    Thank you both for your replies, that's very kind of you! Best wishes.

02-12-10 01:26 AM
    Don't assume the hotel has wi-fi, and if they do, don't assume it's free. Some places have it and some don't. Some charge for it, and some don't. It all just depends on the place your at, every place is different.

As far as what you'll get from wi-fi...You can get your e-mail, any IM client you use including BBM , your Facebook stuff, among other things. One thing I know you will NOT get when using wi-fi is SMS/MMS, they rely upon the cellular network signal for that so if you have that turned off or are out of signal range you will not receive those messages.

The only extra cost you could incur in the examples you laid out is if the place your staying charges for their wi-fi connection.

Enjoy the Caribbean, I am jealous.
    Refer to this thread for things that work on Wi-Fi

02-12-10 01:29 AM
    Thank you both for your replies, that's very kind of you! Best wishes.

I wanted to amend something I posted above, and my apologies for the error. Turning off the Mobile Data services will also shut off you Wi-Fi, so I oopsed on that. Use the firewall to disable BIS services. BBM and IM apps are data, and according to the thread I posted do not work on Wi-Fi.

02-12-10 01:33 AM
    While I believe Kevin generally, the reason I say that IM will work is because it worked for me just a few days ago.

I was in a place with NO cell signal, but a nice strong wi-fi network signal. I got IM's (BBM and Yahoo) and e-mails with no problem at all.
    02-12-10 01:54 AM
    Just to confirm... I just shut off my mobile network on the phone, and then went and connected to Yahoo IM via the wi-fi on my home wireless network with absolutely no problem at all. Just sent a BBM to someone too and got their response.

*edit* I will admit, I shouldn't have said "any" IM client. I can only confirm the ones I have used. But they did work with no problem.*/edit*

Perhaps something has changed since Kevin posted that those things do not work with wi-fi.
    Last edited by Billmanvl; 02-12-10 at 02:17 AM.
    02-12-10 01:59 AM
    Thanks very much for your thorough responses, I really appreciate it. This place is amazing.

02-12-10 02:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD