Are there any programs for the blackberry that utilize the dataplan to be able to send SMS text messages without being charge at sms txt fee from the carriers? I am aware of the email solution where you can send an email to ##########@vtext.com for a verizon phone for example, but is there any program that automatically does this? I have heard maybe google talk or aim would do this? I know the iphone/itouch has many applications that do this, why doesn't BB?

I will be in europe soon on vaction and txt messages will cost me $0.50 to send and $0.05 to recieve. I will have an ulimited data plan though so I need a solution that uses the data plan and not SMS carrier txt.
    05-07-09 01:55 PM
    Is the unlimited data free in roam?
    05-07-09 02:17 PM
    I would check to make sure you really have unlimited data while roaming.
    05-07-09 02:22 PM
    i was playing around with my options, and if you go to options>sms>network to send over ... put packet switched ... that should make your text messages go through your data plan rather than text.

(at least i think so )
    05-07-09 02:35 PM
    i was playing around with my options, and if you go to options>sms>network to send over ... put packet switched ... that should make your text messages go through your data plan rather than text.

(at least i think so )
    I don't have that in my SMS options.
    05-07-09 02:52 PM
    Is the unlimited data free in roam?
    I am pretty positive as they are bumping my data plan price for this month from $29.99 to $64.99 when I am in Europe.

I am basically looking for a program that can read a phone number out of my address book, append the carrier sms domain to the end, and send it as an email.

Besides that I can't see any other way besides using some service like google talk, aim, or skype but I am afraid there might be SMS charges.
    05-07-09 03:11 PM
    Some of the IM clients can send IMs directly to cell phones, for example AIM can do this.
    05-07-09 03:17 PM

(at least i think so )
    Interesting point, a quick google search, gives the impression that you may be right, well, I will change it on my 8900 and will monitor my Actual Monthly usage, that way I can know in advance if it's counting or not as SMS, as I have Unlimited Data included.
    05-07-09 03:18 PM
    Interesting point, a quick google search, gives the impression that you may be right, well, I will change it on my 8900 and will monitor my Actual Monthly usage, that way I can know in advance if it's counting or not as SMS, as I have Unlimited Data included.
    and please let me know how it goes!
    i dont have unlimited data, yet i do pay 10$ a month for unlimited texting and if the texts actually go through EDGE instead than guess who's saving $100+ a year
    05-07-09 03:45 PM
    Well it seems the $64.99 is for email access only. How can they tell if I am accessing email verse accessing the web/bb messeger
    05-07-09 03:46 PM
    Just make everyone you want to talk to get a BlackBerry and use BBM
    05-07-09 03:55 PM

(at least i think so )
    When I tried that on my 8900 on T-Mobile, the messages didn't send and it said "No number assigned"
    05-07-09 04:26 PM
    Well it was too good to be true, I just tried it with my 8900 and T-Mobile also and I got the same error than the previous poster.
    05-07-09 04:56 PM
    When I tried that on my 8900 on T-Mobile, the messages didn't send and it said "No number assigned"

really? that wasn't the case with me ... it sent, and there was some edge activity; the message went through. The only downside was the fact that it takes a little more time to send/receive texts. Sticking to regular texting for now ... can't afford waiting an extra 5 seconds
    05-07-09 04:57 PM
    really? that wasn't the case with me ... it sent, and there was some edge activity; the message went through. The only downside was the fact that it takes a little more time to send/receive texts. Sticking to regular texting for now ... can't afford waiting an extra 5 seconds
    Wishful thinking. Sometimes things don't always work.
    05-08-09 07:43 PM
    Wishful thinking. Sometimes things don't always work.

it did for me
    05-08-09 08:35 PM
    it did for me
    Do they count as texts? Also, did you only change it to send the texts over the Packet Switched?
    05-08-09 09:27 PM
    I have yet to find out. My billing cycle is on the 1st of each month so I won't know until I get my bill in June... but to answer your question, yes, I set it to "Packet Switched" ... the texts send and I did receive, but it took a little longer ... and I noticed that I would receive many texts at once ... understandable since I may not have good EDGE reception in places.

I believe it may be an operator specific option ... I am not sure if T-Mobile supports it, but I'm assuming Rogers supports it since it works with me ... nice of them to provide some perks since Canadians are proud bearers of the most expensive GSM network.
    Last edited by raji.t; 05-08-09 at 10:26 PM.
    05-08-09 10:24 PM
    I have yet to find out. My billing cycle is on the 1st of each month so I won't know until I get my bill in June... but to answer your question, yes, I set it to "Packet Switched" ... the texts send and I did receive, but it took a little longer ... and I noticed that I would receive many texts at once ... understandable since I may not have good EDGE reception in places.

I believe it may be an operator specific option ... I am not sure if T-Mobile supports it, but I'm assuming Rogers supports it since it works with me ... nice of them to provide some perks since Canadians are proud bearers of the most expensive GSM network.
    Yeah, that's Robbers....I mean Rogers for ya!
    05-08-09 11:10 PM
    all you have to do is send an email to the phone number@ what ever the carrier is and it won't cost you a dime. Popular Mechanics has a article in this months magazine on this subject.
    05-09-09 11:35 AM
    The above poster is right. Sending an emal to txt works too. Another way is to get aim and use it to send txt or aims to that number. It worked for me while I hate it but I gave into the unlimited data and text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 11:42 AM
    When a person replies, do you get a text or email back if you send them a text over email to begin with?

05-09-09 01:37 PM
    When a person replies, do you get a text or email back if you send them a text over email to begin with?

You get the reply as an email.
    05-09-09 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD