I have a company supplied blackberry. I am the system admin here but email and all that is done at corporate and i cant get a straight asnwer. I have read that they can track my sms text. I have changed the browser settings and the md5 settings under options to be internet instead of blackberry browser. This way I am not going thru company network to get to the internet. That being said can they still track my sms text? Or is this another setting i need to change so that my sms and mms go directly thru internet (provider netowrk) and not my company netowrk?
    06-19-08 10:07 AM
    I see all the sms messages on my AT&T phone bill....
    06-19-08 10:10 AM
    Oh I understand that the bill will reflect number of text messages. I am refering however to the BES server or whatever its called tracking it. Ya know stoping IT at corporate tracking sms
    06-19-08 10:14 AM
    I see all the sms messages on my AT&T phone bill....
    Do you see exactly what the messages said, or just how many you texted within that month?
    06-19-08 10:17 AM
    Oh I understand that the bill will reflect number of text messages. I am refering however to the BES server or whatever its called tracking it. Ya know stoping IT at corporate tracking sms
    It will also reflect the phone number you are texting to. If my phone was provided by IT, I wouldn't necessarily want them seeing how many times I texted my wife during business hours. Is that what you mean by tracking?
    06-19-08 10:19 AM
    Do you see exactly what the messages said, or just how many you texted within that month?
    No you don't see the actual text (thank god) only the phone number of every text you sent or received.
    06-19-08 10:20 AM
    so you dont see the actual text on the BES server or on the bill? I am concerned that corporate can see my actual text on the BES server.
    06-19-08 12:05 PM
    Then don't text anything that you wouldn't want anyone else to see since it is a company phone anyway.

Problem solved.

Use a personal phone for personal messages.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-08 12:07 PM
    ok I spoke wrong I have a personal blackberry that i have hooked up to get my company email. I dont want to carry 2 devices. I expense my data plan for my email to the company. So if i am getting company email can they track my sms text?
    06-19-08 12:13 PM
    I highly doubt it. But i dont know enough about it but if ATT cant generate my texts for me only the number and time...but even then i still am suprised with some of the software out there..
    06-19-08 05:38 PM
    If you are using BIS and not running through your companies BES then you should be solid. I wouldn't worry.

06-19-08 06:00 PM
    If you are using BIS and not running through your companies BES then you should be solid. I wouldn't worry.

So by that you mean having it set to internet in the advanced settings and not lackberry messenger correct? Thanks for all the replys.
    06-19-08 06:32 PM
    You got something to hide buddy? A little naughty perhaps?
    06-19-08 06:37 PM
    No nothing naughty really just my personal life is for me to know not them. If they need to see it I will use my email and not text messages.
    06-19-08 06:50 PM
    No nothing naughty really just my personal life is for me to know not them. If they need to see it I will use my email and not text messages.
    Your a drug dealer aren't you? jk
    06-19-08 06:56 PM

If he is on the company BES and has the company IT policy are you sure they can't read his text messages?
    06-19-08 06:57 PM
    SMS messages go across the voice system, not through the BES server. Your text messages cannot be read by the IT admin. As noted in previous posts, however, the time, quantity and destination or source number of every message is noted on the phone bill. You will, however, probably find that since the corp is paying for your service that they will consider that their IT policy applies to your phone (they *are* paying for it after all), and therefore they would believe that they have the right to obtain the content of your text messages from the service provider. And, they would have them in their possession before you were aware of it -- even if you won the argument that they were yours they already would have been seen by the employer -- damage done. Your text messages are not yours if they are sent or received on a company (paid) device. Just ask Kawame Kilpatrick.

BIS messages are also not visible to the admin as they do not go across the BES server, but they *are* on a company paid device. This one is maybe a little gray, but gray may be close enough to not being private.

Now -- BB Messenger messages DO go across the BES server and the content of those *would* be visible to the admin.

I chose to purchase my own BB for company use (so I could get the model I wanted rather than the one they were deploying), but service is paid by the employer. I consider every bit and byte that goes through that device to be available to the company's prying eyes.

That's why I carry 2 BlackBerries.

Personal is personal. Corporate is not. Simple as that.
    06-19-08 07:23 PM
    The person or persons running yoyr bes can see just about ecerything. However most of them don't know what they are doing. They can actually control the device, stop your memory card from functioning, or even wipe it remotely. They can stop emails and texts from going out or coming in. If your. On a bes don't do what you don't want them to see

06-19-08 07:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD