Am I missing something on how to set it up or is it not possible?

Have no coverage in my house but strong wifi over a NetGear router.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 06:39 PM
    I'm afraid that's not possible. You could, however, send sms from a website via WiFi but you won't be able to send SMS directly from your BB.

05-20-09 06:47 PM
    SMS is not possible over Wi-Fi unless sent from your carriers website on your phone as skyrider007 said. But anything that's data, it's all systems go.
    05-20-09 06:55 PM
    It might be possible with UMA from tmobile and the 8900, but with the bold its not

The only thing that works over wifi in a blackberry is the blackberry internet service (which only works if you have a sim card inserted) and any other 3rd party app. SMSs rely on the carrier line, same as phone calls.
    05-20-09 06:56 PM
    Well, shoot.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Sometimes I miss my HTC 8525.
    05-20-09 08:19 PM
    how did the 8525 do sms over wifi? i mean, you still need a network connection...

05-20-09 08:19 PM
    On a related note (sorry to theadjack), does BB messenger work over wi-fi if I have a bb data plan as well?

05-20-09 09:32 PM
    On a related note (sorry to theadjack), does BB messenger work over wi-fi if I have a bb data plan as well?

Nope. Only through the cellular network.
    05-20-09 09:36 PM
    bbm DOES work over wifi.

My in-laws place has a very very weak signal. I actually turn the Mobile Network connection off and use their wifi. I use bbm over it all the time.
    05-20-09 10:28 PM
    bbm DOES work over wifi.

My in-laws place has a very very weak signal. I actually turn the Mobile Network connection off and use their wifi. I use bbm over it all the time.

only if you have your sim card in and mobile network turned on
    05-20-09 10:31 PM
    Nope. Only through the cellular network.
    BB messenger has worked numerous times with me over Wi-Fi . That is , turning off the network .
    05-20-09 10:35 PM
    only if you have your sim card in and mobile network turned on
    My sim card is in right now, i shut the mobile network off and turned wifi on and just now successfully sent and received a message.
    05-20-09 10:35 PM
    Did you have a SIM card inserted and the mobile network off? Does it work with the mobile network off? Does it still work then?
    Yes. it works for me.
    05-20-09 10:39 PM
    Wow. That's awesome. I never knew you could do this. I always assumed it didn't work over WiFi since it's part of the BB data and you can't send/receive emails over WiFi. It works... Very cool.
    05-20-09 10:43 PM
    I just confirmed that the sim does need to be in. I did not know that bit of info before this thread.

Yea, I use this ALL the time. It is a great feature.
    drfleury likes this.
    05-20-09 10:47 PM
    Yeah with a SIM and data plan, the only things that won't work over WiFi are SMS and calls (unless you have UMA). Emails still come in as quick as ever!
    06-06-09 10:06 PM
    Confirmed, SMS/MMS/calls only thru mobile network. Everything else works thru WiFi BIS.

06-07-09 12:10 AM
    ok so i have turned off my network i have "uma" in my screen and i still cant recieve emails us bbm or anything..... why is it not working for me but for everybody else?
    01-24-11 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD