a few months back i loaded the OS 6 onto my Bold 9700. since then as soon as any of the text messages are 1 month old they disappear. there is information of who and when it was sent beside a green Text draft icon, but when i click on it, the text is empty. this seems to be the problem with OS 6 only as the same thing occurs on my friend's 9800 Torch. but there is no problem with my Bold 9000 running OS 5. the only way for the messages to stay longer is if you save each message individually. but this is a mega pain in the *** as i keep only the messages that i need and delete the rest.
    there is more than enough memory on the handset and also the battery pull is not working. when in the "OPTIONS" of text messages there is no option for "Keep Messages Forever". i have also reloaded the software successfully a few times
    is there actually any solution or is this simply a huge blunder by BLACKBERRY ? please help. thanks
    05-25-11 12:49 PM
    I am having the exact problem.
    It's pretty annoying. The issue doesn't affect emails, bbms or any other messages - just sms.
    Stupid green icon
    11-28-11 07:09 AM
    from else where in the forum, ("forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9700-f146/how-long-do-sms-get-saved-560971/#post5840337") posted by Pete6, here is the solution:
    "You can choose how long to keep any Messages. From Messages (not Text Messages) press Menu, select Options and then Messages Display and Actions, scroll down this page to the bottom and set Days To Keep Messages."

Thus you can set the messages to be kept forever. This will stop the 'green out' of older sms messages but will probably take up more internal memory over time.
    11-28-11 07:22 AM
    (I have the BB Bold 9650 from Verizon with OS6.)

I have had my blackberry since late August and realized in November that it was deleting my old txt messages. My old 3-year old LG dumb phone would at least *warn* me that my txt message box was full and allowed me to choose which messages I deleted and which I saved. However my BB just seems to randomly delete entire txt conversations when it decides they are "too big" or "too old". This can be within a month or a few days - totally random.

I followed the advice of the prior poster and set "Days to Save Message" = Forever. This does not actually work. I set to Forever and it still arbitrarily deletes txt messages (Fyi: it will keep everything else: email, voicemail, etc even though that is actually backed up and txt is not. So my BB "memory" is full or c**p I have elsewhere and the txt messages are lost entirely.)

The BB manual has a section in "Troubleshooting: Messages" entitled "Some messages no longer appear on my device". It states: "If the application storage on your BlackBerry� device is full or you have more than 65,000 email messages, PIN messages, and text messages, your device deletes the oldest messages from a message list. Your device does not delete saved messages."

I can assure you that I have not exceeded 65,000 messages and I have tons of storage. I have 217 MB free on my device. You can't even force the BB to auto-save SMS to your media card, so my 1.2 GB media card is basically empty and my txt messages are still being lost.

So the answer is ... manually save each message? NOT happening.

Suffer arbitrary data loss bec BB can't get their act together? Are you kidding?!?

Is there any point in even complaining to RIM about this bug in OS6? IMHO, it all goes back to their tech being old, their target market being corporate, and the corporate priority being email, not txt.

So perhaps my answer is ... goodbye BB, hello Droid.
    aznrice likes this.
    12-13-11 08:52 PM
    (I have the BB Bold 9650 from Verizon with OS6.)

I have had my blackberry since late August and realized in November that it was deleting my old txt messages. My old 3-year old LG dumb phone would at least *warn* me that my txt message box was full and allowed me to choose which messages I deleted and which I saved. However my BB just seems to randomly delete entire txt conversations when it decides they are "too big" or "too old". This can be within a month or a few days - totally random.

I followed the advice of the prior poster and set "Days to Save Message" = Forever. This does not actually work. I set to Forever and it still arbitrarily deletes txt messages (Fyi: it will keep everything else: email, voicemail, etc even though that is actually backed up and txt is not. So my BB "memory" is full or c**p I have elsewhere and the txt messages are lost entirely.)

The BB manual has a section in "Troubleshooting: Messages" entitled "Some messages no longer appear on my device". It states: "If the application storage on your BlackBerry� device is full or you have more than 65,000 email messages, PIN messages, and text messages, your device deletes the oldest messages from a message list. Your device does not delete saved messages."

I can assure you that I have not exceeded 65,000 messages and I have tons of storage. I have 217 MB free on my device. You can't even force the BB to auto-save SMS to your media card, so my 1.2 GB media card is basically empty and my txt messages are still being lost.

So the answer is ... manually save each message? NOT happening.

Suffer arbitrary data loss bec BB can't get their act together? Are you kidding?!?

Is there any point in even complaining to RIM about this bug in OS6? IMHO, it all goes back to their tech being old, their target market being corporate, and the corporate priority being email, not txt.

So perhaps my answer is ... goodbye BB, hello Droid.
    exactly. i lost some of very important texts of mine because of this. the settings on 30days by default, im sure a lot of the folks dont know about this. and if you have it set to forever, blackberry will still delete your texts AND calendar appointments when the memory runs out, are u ******* serious? this is one of the main reason why i left blackberry and went android. before that, i was already fed up with the build quality of blackberries. after i lost my texts i left blackberry for good and never came back. funny thing is, here on crackberry forums, the minute you start pointing out negative facts about blackberry your immediately labeled as a troll. i picked up a nexus the other day and i can tell you it does everything my blackberry can do but does them 10 times better and faster. people need to stop with their blind ideologies, it makes me laugh.
    12-13-11 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD