I am posting this to confront Berry AND Non-Berry users alike, about the reasons they chose their devices. As a former iPhone user and the significant other of an Android user, who now uses a Berry, I would like to touch on a few things.

1.) Screen Size/Quality

This is a subject that has been bothering me for quite some time. Mainly due to the fact that people are "wanting" smaller, lighter devices. How is a bigger screen going to accomplish this? While the devices that are being released currently are not nearly as "bulky" as they used to be, they are getting taller. Might as well try putting your iPad in your pocket and sitting down.

2.) Graphics/Games/Movies

This will be a short one............................................... .......GO BUY A PSP or a Portable DVD Player. If you are relying on your phone to serve these purposes, you should not be allowed to own a cellular phone.

3.) Camera/Video Camera...see #2 and replace the types of devices mentioned.

While the higher-end Smartphones may "sound" nice and "look" really cool, there are even nicer devices out there that are made explicitly for these purposes. Overall, a Smartphone is a Smartphone. I am pretty sure there are people out there who live in their parent's basements, and buy these devices because they can get so much use out of one device, meaning they never have to leave the couch...yay for you guys! But people who have jobs and families are not worrying about whether or not they can watch HD movies on their phones or play "platform-like" video games on them. BB is still the way to go for elegance, functionality and dependability. If an 8 megapixel camera is your selling point towards a device, I laugh at you. Get a job and buy the appropriate device for these things you damn hippies.

Curve 9330 running OS 6.0.0.357

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    RBernier and SCrid2000 like this.
    11-29-10 04:12 AM
    I am posting this to confront Berry AND Non-Berry users alike, about the reasons they chose their devices. As a former iPhone user and the significant other of an Android user, who now uses a Berry, I would like to touch on a few things.

1.) Screen Size/Quality

This is a subject that has been bothering me for quite some time. Mainly due to the fact that people are "wanting" smaller, lighter devices. How is a bigger screen going to accomplish this? While the devices that are being released currently are not nearly as "bulky" as they used to be, they are getting taller. Might as well try putting your iPad in your pocket and sitting down.

This will be a short one............................................... .......GO BUY A PSP or a Portable DVD Player. If you are relying on your phone to serve these purposes, you should not be allowed to own a cellular phone.

While the higher-end Smartphones may "sound" nice and "look" really cool, there are even nicer devices out there that are made explicitly for these purposes. Overall, a Smartphone is a Smartphone. I am pretty sure there are people out there who live in their parent's basements, and buy these devices because they can get so much use out of one device, meaning they never have to leave the couch...yay for you guys! But people who have jobs and families are not worrying about whether or not they can watch HD movies on their phones or play "platform-like" video games on them. BB is still the way to go for elegance, functionality and dependability. If an 8 megapixel camera is your selling point towards a device, I laugh at you. Get a job and buy the appropriate device for these things you damn hippies.

Nice job, genius. Sounds like you're jealous of other devices.

1. Not everybody wants a smaller/lighter device. Some of us want a micro-computer we can use as a telephone. For us, bigger screens are nice.

2. It would be pointless to carry another device around with us when our miniature computer we're carrying around is more than capable of running entertaining games in addition to the other functions we need. Your statement for #2 doesn't make any sense because of this: if you're going to harp on screen size in item #1 and weight of devices, why would you want to carry some other bulky item around?

3. See #2. Why carry around more devices than you absolutely need? What's the harm in wanting a better camera built into a device? We all know no cellphone based camera will compete with a DSLR, but you can't beat the cellphone camera for convenience since you always have it with you.

I know, I shouldn't feed the troll, but still, it's fun...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 11-29-10 at 05:18 AM.
    SevereDeceit likes this.
    11-29-10 05:13 AM
    You beat me to it sandman, what a moronic post!
    11-29-10 05:30 AM
    I agree on number 1 but all of it is personal preference. What exactly is a smartphone suppose to do? Is it not allowed to be a personal movie player too? or is that asking to much? (perhaps on battery life :P) If you think gaming on a touchscreen is better than a dedicated gaming device like the Nintendo DS, then so be it.

but other than that, the blackberry suits my purpose because those other points of yours I have other 'tech goodies' that satisfy my needs better but whatever people do with their phones, I don't really care, I like the keyboard, I like the screen I like the benefits of BIS, BBM and emails.
    Last edited by zensen; 11-29-10 at 07:05 AM.
    11-29-10 07:02 AM

1.) Screen Size/Quality

When I read up until the bolded statements I thought you might have a legitimate point, but then I knew you were a jackass.
    11-29-10 10:15 AM
    When I read up until the bolded statements I thought you might have a legitimate point, but then I knew you were a jackass.
    Really? You didn't know by the part about confronting people, and the fact that the available phone options (or what features other people look for in a phone) for some reason bothered the individual?
    11-29-10 02:12 PM
    Troll? No... Educated consumer? Very much. The main purpose we all get cell phones in the first place is so we can make calls. The introduction of mobile e-mail was a landmark. But to say that you want something in a phone, that a device made specifically to do such things can do way better, is moronic. Watch one movie on an EVO or Droid X, and your "phone" is useless. Furthermore, if you have time to watch a movie on your phone in the first place, why are you not at home watching it on a much bigger screen? Also, chances are, if you are somewhere playing games on your phone, chances are your car is nearby. They make these things called "cases" for a multitude of devices; i.e. PSP or DS. These products make the devices they are produced for, easier to transport and/or store. Keep it in your car and you won't be lugging around multiple devices. They will be at your disposal should the need to utilize them arises. Thank you for all of your responses.

11-29-10 02:24 PM
    Troll? No... Educated consumer? Very much. The main purpose we all get cell phones in the first place is so we can make calls. The introduction of mobile e-mail was a landmark. But to say that you want something in a phone, that a device made specifically to do such things can do way better, is moronic. Watch one movie on an EVO or Droid X, and your "phone" is useless. Furthermore, if you have time to watch a movie on your phone in the first place, why are you not at home watching it on a much bigger screen? Also, chances are, if you are somewhere playing games on your phone, chances are your car is nearby. They make these things called "cases" for a multitude of devices; i.e. PSP or DS. These products make the devices they are produced for, easier to transport and/or store. Keep it in your car and you won't be lugging around multiple devices. They will be at your disposal should the need to utilize them arises. Thank you for all of your responses.

Phone calls are the feature I use the least, and I have a BlackBerry, not an Android or iPhone.

What about folks watching movies while riding on a bus or train, or flying on a plane? Or playing games in the same situation? Lugging around extra devices would not be practical.
    the_sandman_454 likes this.
    11-29-10 02:29 PM
    Troll? No... Educated consumer? Very much. The main purpose we all get cell phones in the first place is so we can make calls. The introduction of mobile e-mail was a landmark.
    When did you get elected as a spokesman for what we all want? For me, placing calls is one of the lowest priorities for a smartphone. I want an organizer, email, the ability to surf the web without the need for a tablet/netbook/laptop/etc, and the ability to IM. In light of that, you don't seem very educated at all about the reasons people choose devices.

But to say that you want something in a phone, that a device made specifically to do such things can do way better, is moronic. Watch one movie on an EVO or Droid X, and your "phone" is useless. Furthermore, if you have time to watch a movie on your phone in the first place, why are you not at home watching it on a much bigger screen?
    Enough with the use of "moronic" thanks. Nobody feels the need to insult you, even though you don't seem to understand peoples' choices.

True, a portable DVD player is better than a mobile device is for watching movies. My home theater is better than that. I cannot, however, take my home theater with me to the mechanic, or the doctor's office, or any number of other places that can involve long, boring waits.

My Canon 20D is a great camera which I use when I know I'll want to photograph things and as such bring it along, however my cellphone takes better pictures when I'm out and about on a normal day, because the DSLR is on a shelf in the computer room, as I'm not lugging it around everywhere I go just in case I wish to take a picture of something.

Also, chances are, if you are somewhere playing games on your phone, chances are your car is nearby. They make these things called "cases" for a multitude of devices; i.e. PSP or DS. These products make the devices they are produced for, easier to transport and/or store. Keep it in your car and you won't be lugging around multiple devices. They will be at your disposal should the need to utilize them arises. Thank you for all of your responses.

Having the vehicle present and the fact that I "could" carry other devices around is not only irrelevant, but it also opens up the possibility that some jackwagon will break into my vehicle and steal my $1k camera/lenses, my PSP, and whatever other electronics you suggest I should keep in my vehicle.

To me, the better option is to have a mobile device/smartphone (which I'm going to carry anyway) capable of performing most of the aforementioned tasks in a satisfactory manner that is able to fit in my pocket or on a belt. This way I don't need to carry a ton of extra "stuff" all the time just incase the mood strikes to want to use any of it.

It is a convenience thing. I am well aware that specialized devices will perform a given task better, but I'm not transporting all of my worldly posessions around with me just in case I should happen to want to use one, when any recent smartphone should be able to perform a spontaneous task "well enough". If you don't understand that, I guess there's not really any hope for you...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 11-29-10 at 02:55 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-29-10 02:44 PM

The reason people by cell phones is so they can make phone calls, and text message people. The reason people buy SMARTPHONES is so they can have their GPS, Camera, Phone, PDA, Media, and whatever else they want all rolled into one device. It's not just a cell phone anymore, SmartPhones and Cell Phones are two different animals with two different target groups. BOTTOM LINE! ! ! When i had Jury Duty not even one year ago i loaded a ton of movies on my phone, took my charge, plugged it in and watched SEVERAL MOVIES a day on a tiny screen. Why? Because i had nothing else to do and if fit the purpose. If you are beating on the "mobile gaming" drum since you keep mentioning the PSP and the DS, you are correct SmartPhones do not compete. But try to pick up your DS and make a phone call, or try to use the GPS that is built into your PSP... oh... wait... that's right It's not physically possible since they do carry that type of technology.

and regarding the camera... i own a 12MP Cannon Eos (D/SLR) line phone. It's is just more convenient and snappier to pick my MyTouchHD and use the 5MP camera than it is to put my lens on and snap the picture. And the moment may have passed, esp since i have a 1yr old daughter...

I could beat the drum all day on this one...

The bottom line is this. The Smartphone, regardless of Apple, Blackberry,WinMo or Android powered is a jack of all trades and a master of none. Either use a normal phone, or a smart-phone and accept the short comings...
    Last edited by syb0rg; 11-29-10 at 03:39 PM.
    the_sandman_454 likes this.
    11-29-10 03:11 PM
    Play nice people! If you have a different opinion why not argue it with fact, instead of just bringing out the troll card? ESPECIALLY when we have a noob on our hands? You guys know better!!!!!!!
    11-29-10 03:34 PM
    All I am saying is that it is a mistake to depend on a Smartphone for these multitudes of tasks. If you own a portable gaming platform or a digital camera, you obviously purchased it for the purpose of using it. Smartphones are nowhere near being classified as "dependable". When is the last time your digital camera "crashed" or your DS rendered "useless"? My experiences with multiple digital cameras would be NEVER. Furthermore, Nintendo has never made a product which failed in record numbers, unless under extreme abuse. Which is why they sold the plans for the PS1 to Sony, sat back and let them deal with a less than desirable product. (You can research that comment if you doubt it is correct.) All I am saying is that people who buy "phones" for reasons other than to call people, check e-mail or chat, which is becoming a staple on mobile devices, are buying them for really dumb reasons. To each their own, but if you buy a phone to "game" or "take pictures" and not to communicate, you're using the wrong device.

Last edited by gnobiwan17; 11-29-10 at 03:49 PM.
    11-29-10 03:41 PM
    Play nice people! If you have a different opinion why not argue it with fact, instead of just bringing out the troll card? ESPECIALLY when we have a noob on our hands? You guys know better!!!!!!!
    Respectfully, sir, if someone is going to throw words like "moronic" around in his post to describe people wanting certain utility from a device, that doesn't seem particularly respectful on the OP's part. Perhaps that poster needs a refresher on the site rules regarding being respectful. Just sayin'...
    11-29-10 03:42 PM
    Respectfully, sir, if someone is going to throw words like "moronic" around in his post to describe people wanting certain utility from a device, that doesn't seem particularly respectful on the OP's part. Perhaps that poster needs a refresher on the site rules regarding being respectful. Just sayin'...
    Re-reading his last paragraph he WAS a bit (searching for the right word) "flamatic" (I took some poetic license)?!? Anyways lets try to argue with fact anyways.
    11-29-10 03:49 PM
    Smartphones are nowhere near being classified as "dependable". When is the last time your digital camera "crashed" or your DS rendered "useless"? My experiences with multiple digital cameras would be NEVER. Furthermore, Nintendo has never made a product which failed in record numbers, unless under extreme abuse. Which is why they sold the plans for the PS1 to Sony, sat back and let them deal with a less than desirable product. (You can research that comment if you doubt it is correct.)
    Anything that is hackable, is prone to fail. You cannot limit it to just Smart-Phones. And the only reason Smart-Phones fail is because people hack them. Either they will admit it or they won't. But a out of the Box Smartphone under normal use will not fail.
    All I am saying is that people who buy "phones" for reasons other than to call people, check e-mail or chat, which is becoming a staple on mobile devices, are buying them for really dumb reasons. To each their own, but if you buy a phone to "game" or "take pictures" and not to communicate, you're using the wrong device.
    Thanks for the heads up, but it's our money, we'll spend it any any fashion we deem necessary.

And BTW spending money on a PSP, or DS is spending money for
    really dumb reasons.
    11-29-10 03:50 PM
    3270880B if you'd like to get at me directly.

11-29-10 03:53 PM
    All I am saying is that it is a mistake to depend on a Smartphone for these multitudes of tasks. If you own a portable gaming platform or a digital cameran you obviously purchased it for the purpose of using it. Smartphones are nowhere near being classified as "dependable". When is the last time your digital camera "crashed" or your DS rendered "useless"? My experiences with multiple digital cameras would be NEVER. Furthermore, Nintendo has never made a product which failed in record numbers, unless under extreme abuse. Which is why they sold the plans for the PS1 to Sony, sat back and let them deal with a less than desirable product. (You can research that comment if you doubt it is correct.) All I am saying is that people who buy "phones" for reasons other than to call people, check e-mail or chat, which is becoming a staple on mobile devices, are buying them for really dumb reasons. To each their own, but if you buy a phone to "game" or "take pictures" and not to communicate, you're using the wrong device.

Sir, respectfully, you need to quit being insulting, calling people dumb and so forth. That is unacceptable in terms of this site's policies.

I may think it is foolish to carry a backpack full of different devices around that you might need or want in a given day (psp, digital camera, gps, dvd player, laptop, etc), however you won't see me calling people stupid if they want to do that. The attitude that your opinion is the only acceptable one and that everyone who has a different opinion is "moronic" is insulting, so please drop it.

Most of us are NOT buying our devices specifically to REPLACE dedicated gaming devices, dedicated movie players, dedicated cameras, dedicated GPS units. We realize that using our smartphone for these tasks is a compromise between functionality and portability.

If I'm hiking into a canyon where I expect some beautiful photo opportunities for example, you'd better believe I'll have a stand alone camera with me. If I'm commuting to work, or out enjoying an evening with some friends or something where I may want to spontaneously photograph something, I will be glad my cellphone can do a decent job of it because in such situations where portability is a concern, the camera in my pocket is always going to be more useful than the camera I left at home because I didn't expect I would need it. Without the smartphone I wouldn't have gotten the photo at all. Now what is better to you, a less than perfect photo, or no photo at all?
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 11-29-10 at 03:58 PM.
    pkcable and syb0rg like this.
    11-29-10 03:54 PM
    Re-reading his last paragraph he WAS a bit (searching for the right word) "flamatic" (I took some poetic license)?!? Anyways lets try to argue with fact anyways.
    While I agree that facts are the way to go, I just needed to point out that the OP has had the same sort of attitude in all of his/her posts so far.

In the original, he told us "hippies" who dare to want functionality from our devices to "get a job". He/she also admits to being confrontational in the first paragraph.

Most of us rebutting the comments have done a good job IMO of being considerate and using facts.

Again, sorry to comment on it but that sort of strikes a nerve when some of us have done nothing wrong but still get told to play nice even though we have been...
    11-29-10 04:05 PM
    I'm a hippy at heart (I'm bald now) and DAMN proud of it!
    11-29-10 04:08 PM
    i'm a hippy at heart (i'm bald now) and damn proud of it!
    watermelons ! ! !
    11-29-10 04:10 PM
    I agree with syb0rg, people do not want to carry around a bunch of devices, they want everything in one package. Phone, GPS, games, music, etc.
    syb0rg likes this.
    11-29-10 04:20 PM
    I agree with syb0rg, people do not want to carry around a bunch of devices, they want everything in one package. Phone, GPS, games, music, etc.
    Thanks BUDDY ! ! ! but the Sandman did say the same thing. Smart-Phones are Smart-Phones for a reason. and having everything rolled all into one is the ish in my book.
    SevereDeceit likes this.
    11-29-10 04:23 PM
    It is obvious that the concept of smartphones has gone WAY over the OP's head. TO ME, it doesn't make much sense to spend $200 apiece for an ipod, portable dvd player, gps, digital camera, etc when you can take that same $200 & get something that has all of those features, & does them very well. For example: 10 Amazing Android Photographs (gotta give credit to syborg for posting this in the Android forum)

I haven't owned a stand-alone digital camera in years. And, the last one I owned was a $200 piece of CRAP. It failed on me more times than ANY smartphone has, even after sending it away TWICE for repair. I don't know about anyone else, but I completely understand the need to snap pics or videos at a moment's notice. I always buy phones w/ decent cameras because I was tired of saying "I should've brought my camera!" whenever something exciting and spontaneous happened.

I've never owned an iPod. Ever. By the time I stopped carrying a portable CD player, cell phones could store music.

I went on a trip with my family over the holiday weekend. We drove through a town where they had constructed an entirely new network of roads. The gps on my MyTouch was more accurate in navigating this network than my parents' Garmin unit.

Give me a smartphone w/ all these capabilities in a sleek and pocketable package any day. And remember, folks, smartphones are only as smart as their owners.
    the_sandman_454 and syb0rg like this.
    11-29-10 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD