*sigh*

3GS on Bell and Telus, only available with a 3 yr contract, $199 for 8GB and $299 for 16GB.

3G? $99 only available for 3 yr contract.

I could be wrong...but isn't that THE EXACT SAME AS THE US PRICING??!?!?
    *Double sigh*

I know they all have similar prices. But I'm asking about the plans, because the phones are subsidized.

Smartphones�*|�* Phones�*|�* TELUS Mobility

iPhone�*|�* Phones�*|�* TELUS Mobility

Clearly, iPhone purchase prices and plans are more expensive than other smartphones. Because iPhones are more expensive.

In the US it's hard for carriers to offer tiered plans because consumers expect all phones and plans to cost the same from the carriers. So given the $200 price point, and flat rate data plans, the difference in device cost (not manufacturing costs, what the manufacturer is asking for it) must come from revenue sharing. The iPhone exclusivity with AT&T gets Apple more cash. If the iPhone was not exclusive, Apple will be settling for less, because in the US carriers don't offer different price plans based on a phone model. The only carrier trying to do this right now is Sprint, charging $10 more a month for the Evo.

So what all of this means is that saying "when the iPhone will be available on other carriers" presumes Apple will forgo its special pricing. I don't know how many times I need to explain this, but BlackBerries are selling on many more carriers because they are cheaper. iPhones will also have to be cheaper to show up on more carriers.
    Last edited by synthmole; 05-25-10 at 10:03 PM.
    05-25-10 10:00 PM
    Okay, but doesn't this suggest that demand for good messaging is much stronger than the multimedia/app device like iPhones and Android?
    No (GTalk, Yahoo IM, Skype and many more are all available on most all smartphones).

I beg to differ on this point. They have merely offered a different set of strengths, doing away with keyboards and relegating phone and messaging to secondary status.
    No, compared to BB's efforts, or lack there of, they (BB's comp) have strengthened their weaknesses (email, battery life, physical keyboard) while BB's weaknesses (underpowered RAM, ROM, processor, browser, video streaming) have remained all but stationary.

Well, I think it depends how much that "wow" will cost, right? Because those users of low end devices aren't gonna pony up for huge screens and Snapdragons and hook themselves on huge monthly bills.
    You missed this point. I agree many people won't pay for top-line smartphones like the 9800 surely will be, or phones with 1GHz processors and lofty plans. But those users of the 83xx (the main reason RIM is on top of some lists) who are up for their upgrade discount will have many more choices to select high-end devices for much cheaper prices due to new model releases. Put another way, a person with an 83xx who upgrades today can either get a BOLD (either one is more of the same) at their top prices even with their discount or several other more advanced (than the Curve line) smartphones for "entry level" prices. Bye bye BB.

So far I'm hearing that users simply don't know what they're missing and those that enjoy BlackBerries are blind. Seems like a stretch and refusal to look at reality.
    Before I read this paragraph I was thinking you were rejecting reality and substituting your own.

You don't think it's possible many who got in to the smartphone market with an 83xx are now more edjucated about said market? I trust RIM isn't that na�ve.

At this point all we can do is watch how things play out in the next 18 months. I am pulling for the Blackberry even if give the EVO a go.
    05-25-10 10:54 PM
    No (GTalk, Yahoo IM, Skype and many more are all available on most all smartphones).
    There's far more to it than that. For instance, BlackBerrys have always been focused on user input, such as the full qwerty keyboards, suretype, surepress, etc...
    Then there's the push architecture, which allows you to receive messages from multiple sources without degrading battery life.
    Quite frankly, no other platform is as focused on messaging as the BlackBerry is. Over here, we have plans for unlimited messaging (Facebook, Twitter, MSN, Gtalk, etc...) and e-mail for cheaper than an actual data plan. Yes, this obviously means you can't browse with the phone, but demand for just the messaging basics is high enough to justify such a carrier plan.
    05-25-10 11:04 PM
    ****** who wrote it sure is full of himself. "I predicted" "I said" "Aren't I captain cerebral"

Can't take an article seriously when it's so full of self pleasuring bragging.
    Lol, he is a bit pretentious, but in a stumbling economy, he has discovered a niche, created a demand and filled that demand.

He may not be the most likable cat in the jungle, but he is on top of his game. I admire him for that anyhow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-10 11:06 PM
    I don't see the point of arguing with these fanboys, Apple have pretty much brainwashed them. LOL
    05-25-10 11:15 PM
    I don't see the point of arguing with these fanboys, Apple have pretty much brainwashed them. LOL
    I don't like touchscreen keyboards. That's why I own a 9700. However I do envy the iPhone's browser and video streaming capabilities. Hopefully RIM can incorporate other phone's strengths in the near future.

Now, what other brilliant comments does the troll have to offer?
    05-25-10 11:40 PM
    Jaredius I totally agree.

Apple wants to control everything. They dictate terms. Providers want the contracts so they will obey the Mighty Steve. Problem is that ATT is screwing everyone else in the process.
    RIM wants the marketshare.....see 83XX series. But doesn't want to pander to hardcore addicts.....see the lack of 6.0.
    Android while jumping into the pack has been trying to do both while selling to everyone? Seems like even with the 4G Iphone coming in July that the Android/HTC/Google love child looks to be the elephant in the room. I have said this before and I will say it again. I have my 9700 and I am a BB believer and have been since 2004. But with my upgrade date coming in October whoever impresses me the most will get the nod from me. I my heart wants to stay cause I love the BB but it just seems like its getting left behind.
    05-25-10 11:53 PM
    Jaredius I totally agree.

Apple wants to control everything. They dictate terms. Providers want the contracts so they will obey the Mighty Steve. Problem is that ATT is screwing everyone else in the process.
    RIM wants the marketshare.....see 83XX series. But doesn't want to pander to hardcore addicts.....see the lack of 6.0.
    Android while jumping into the pack has been trying to do both while selling to everyone? Seems like even with the 4G Iphone coming in July that the Android/HTC/Google love child looks to be the elephant in the room. I have said this before and I will say it again. I have my 9700 and I am a BB believer and have been since 2004. But with my upgrade date coming in October whoever impresses me the most will get the nod from me. I my heart wants to stay cause I love the BB but it just seems like its getting left behind.
    05-25-10 11:54 PM
    If HTC/Android made a touch device with a similar form factor as the BlackBerry, I would definitely have to give it a try. HTC has the "Snap" (WinMob), but it lags behind their high-end touch phones.

One thing the article pointed out though, is that BB's other competition being dumbphones with QWERTY keyboards. Maybe RIM's intent is to have the BB be the not so high-end phone? But be a leap from a dumphone?( and now-a-days, many have a lot of smartphone features) Kind of like a super messaging phone.

I fully realize my BB's limitations, and I'm perfectly fine with it, because what I use it for, I haven't had too many issues... I wonder how many are like me.

Also, I'm sure there are 83xx users who have learned a great deal over their time on BB and have begun lusting after other smartphones. But there are a lot of users who barely even know what their BB is truly capable of, and is greatly under using its features. Those people may just want to stick to what's familiar... So whens its time for an upgrade, BB is where they stay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 12:37 AM
    The irony of this statement is not lost on me.
    05-26-10 12:28 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD