Smart watches are sheer idiocy.
    09-10-13 07:53 AM
    Smart watches, dumb consumers .

I think they will be just a fad and then die off.

Posted via CB10
    pgg101 likes this.
    09-10-13 08:14 AM
    Some message and calls are important, that's why I have to check to see who it is every time something comes in but 9 times out of 10 it can wait. If my watch would handle notifications it would save me lots of time. I want to upgrade to the Z30 for the extra screen size but I don't want to have to pull it out every time junk mail comes in. Ideally I would have a watch with notifications and basic information and controls, a ear piece for phone calls and a playbook for everything else. As long as they worked together

via CB10 on ZED10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    09-10-13 08:31 AM
    I already wear a larger Fossil watch. I also have a larger Armitron watch for when I go swimming. I've worn watches ever since my parents got me a purple and pink plastic digital watch where the face opened up to reveal bubble gum scented lip gloss. I was probably 4 or 5. I feel naked without them now.

I would friggin' LOVE a watch where I would feel a buzz in my pants (that's what she said) from my phone getting a message and I'd look at my watch to see a toast notification that shows the sender's name and first few lines of the message scrolling by. I could chose to ignore it for now, or take my phone out to respond. Or maybe it could allow me to swipe to reply a stock message to the sender, like "I'm in a meeting" or "I'm driving." Talk about efficient!
    Spencerdl, Vorkosigan and TGR1 like this.
    09-10-13 08:46 AM
    I'm definitely going to look into the different smart watches available, I've been wearing a watch for as long as I can remember. Technology is moving at an incredible pace, it's hard to keep up with everything
    09-15-13 06:38 AM
    Until a SmartWatch can replace my Q10, PlayBook and laptop I don't see the point.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 07:16 AM

I would friggin' LOVE a watch where I would feel a buzz in my pants (that's what she said) from my phone getting a message and I'd look at my watch to see a toast notification that shows the sender's name and first few lines of the message scrolling by. I could chose to ignore it for now, or take my phone out to respond. Or maybe it could allow me to swipe to reply a stock message to the sender, like "I'm in a meeting" or "I'm driving." Talk about efficient!
    I have a Pebble and it does that first thing you described except that it's the watch that buzzes. You can configure which notifications to receive on the watch. It's really useful when driving, when in a meeting, or in bright sunlight.

The times when I set the phone down and I wander around the house, I still get my notifications. No need to go back to the phone and see if the LED is blinking.

Replying via SMS using six stock messages is already supported by I'm waiting for an app that can do the same with email.
    09-15-13 07:21 AM
    I couldn't go from why watch collection to something like this! I wear watches based on mood and what looks good an accessory to me for time! The only feature that I could see my self wanting on a watch would maybe a good watch manufacturer to incorporate a notification small led into the watch and you could control what makes the led come on from the phone (notifications or calls w/e). People complain on screen size of the Q which I have and love try messaging reading or scolling on a watch? No thank you!

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 07:26 AM
    I would buy one, but I'll wait a bit until they drop in price.

I love the idea of not having to carry my phone around with me in the office or at home (warning rant coming: when I dress for work I usually wear what is known as 'men's tailoring' for the comfort factor but explain to me why they think women don't need functional pockets in their trousers!! End rant)

For my mom too I can see this being useful as she often can't find or hear her phone and so misses calls and messages. Whether or not I could get her to wear one would be another story.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 07:56 AM
    I would buy one, but I'll wait a bit until they drop in price.
    I agree , wait a year and the watches will get cheaper, smaller, and more stylish. The losers will have been weeded out by then. And there would also be more apps. Sub $100 is the magic number in my opinion.
    09-15-13 08:04 AM
    I really don't like the design of smartwatches until now. I can't see the point neither, except for fitness/medical purposes. You can live without checking on your wrist if somebody called you, then to answer a text message or an email you have to take your cell phone out... you'll end up living for your gadgets, geeky slave always monitoring your watch/phone/tablet... not the other way around (as tech devices should ease your life and help you spare time for really living for what/who you love)
    Looks like an invasive gadget to me.
    Instead i can see the interest of Google glasses, or at least i think it's more fluid and discreet even if i am really concerned by privacy issues and all connected 24/24H social interactions... (if you are curious English tv serie Black Mirror had it right with its 3rd episode named 'the entire history of you'. ).

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 08:32 AM
    You can live without checking on your wrist if somebody called you, then to answer a text message or an email you have to take your cell phone out... you'll end up living for your gadgets, geeky slave always monitoring your watch/phone/tablet... not the other way around (as tech devices should ease your life and help you spare time for really living for what/who you love)
    Looks like an invasive gadget to me.
    This exact same criticism has been leveled towards the cell phone. The addition of a smart watch doesn't change this.

Do you like the idea of peek and toast notifications? Smart watch gives you the same thing, but faster and more convenient.

BB10 users universally love the LED, peek, and toast notifications. Except I suppose when it's available on your wrist. But what if the gadget on your wrist happens to have a BB logo? If that happens the it will be one of the greatest innovations in mobile computing.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-15-13 09:41 AM
    Not really the same things: smartphones were a giant leap when you compare them to dumb ones, smartwatch looks like redundant to me. That type of watch doesn't really upgrade the watch concept, it's on your wrist and that's why you call it watch. But smart wristband would be a lot more appropriate.
    I don't care which logo it'll have. I just don't find that type of smartwatch such a great evolution.
    To say it all, i think, in the way you see it, a ring would easily replace that kind of watch.
    And i also said that imho Google glasses were more of a breakthrough in Tech evolution than a watch.
    Not to mention the real fine watches fans that would never sport such a horrible -for now- design.
    I can't help thinking of it as a bad 'good idea'

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 10:17 AM
    So far none of the smart watches have been what I'm looking for, The Sony Smartwatch 2 has come closest I think.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 05:09 PM
    Or that Qualcomm one that isn't planned for market.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 05:09 PM
65 123