Hi guys, a little bit of advice needed. I am coming to the end of a 24 month BlackBerry contract and it runs out on the 28/8. The original contract phone was a Curve 8520, but I bought a sim free Curve 9320 when it came out and have had that for a couple months now.

I can upgrade to a Bold 9900 or 9790 now on good plans for �25 a month on a 24 month contract. Is it wise to get tied into another 2 year contract when BB10 could be out early 2013? Then again, not sure if I could afford the BB10 handset when its out.

And what does everyone reckon, 9900 or 9790

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using my thumbs
    08-08-12 04:42 AM
    I would say wait, and save up the money before then...
    08-08-12 04:57 AM
    I'm in the same situation - gonna wait for the BB10 qwerty keyboard version to come out before upgrading

probably have to pay more every month for a brand new phone, but it will be worth it
    08-08-12 05:51 AM
    I would wait. I think app developers are going to forsake the older platforms quickly. You will want BB10 to get a good two years out of your next phone.
    Syrous44 likes this.
    08-08-12 05:59 AM
    Crazy to sign up to a 24 month contract at this stage, since you are out of contract, you'd be better off bartering with them to put you on a low SIM-only contract with a month's notice (which gives you as many minutes and data as expensive phone + sim contracts), pocket the difference and keep the money until a BB10 device is released.
    08-08-12 06:28 AM
    you could always wait.. its up to you really. BB10 will for sure be better and have a new UI.

If you were to get a BB7 device, get the 9900 for it has a 1.2ghz processor and a bigger screen. If you'd like something small then go for the 9790, both are great phones.

I prefer the 9900 for its keyboard feels better and the phone itself is faster

hope this helps! and goodluck on finding your next blackberry device!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-08-12 06:33 AM
    If I was in your situation with a 9320 phone, I'd wait.

I would go look at everything your carrier has to offer for plans and find the cheapest one that meets your last 3 months usage requirements, and look to save �2-5 a month, and earmark that �2-5 as savings for BB10, when BB10 launches maybe you'll be paying �27 for 24 months, maybe �30, but over all it could be worth it

I've seen some plans on T-mobile in the UK that has users on BB's paying as little as �12 per month, with unlimited BBM, being contract free and not needing an upgrade is a wonderful place to be. spend the next 4 months saving as much as you can to put toward your BB10 purchase.
    08-08-12 06:52 AM
    The top of the line OS 7 devices are technically only a year old, but they are in effect two years old given that they should have been released in 2010 (instead of the subpar OS 6 devices). They were not supported well by developers -- unless you are happy with the odd knock-off such as "Angry Farm" or "Instaphoto" -- and certainly won't be better supported going forward.

In short, you do not want to be stuck with such a device for another two years. I'm chafing as it because I have another 7 months left on my contract/upgrade cycle before I can move from my 9810. I'd probably kill myself if I had to tack another 17 months onto that. (Or I would bite the bullet and shell out $600 for an off-contract device, but that's another story.)

Of course, if you have to wait for BB10, you're stuck with your 9320, but while it's a lesser OS7 device, it's still an OS7 device. I'd rather be stuck with the 9320 until the beginning of next year than be stuck with a 9900 for another two years.
    08-08-12 06:54 AM
    If I was in your situation with a 9320 phone, I'd wait.

I would go look at everything your carrier has to offer for plans and find the cheapest one that meets your last 3 months usage requirements, and look to save �2-5 a month, and earmark that �2-5 as savings for BB10, when BB10 launches maybe you'll be paying �27 for 24 months, maybe �30, but over all it could be worth it

I've seen some plans on T-mobile in the UK that has users on BB's paying as little as �12 per month, with unlimited BBM, being contract free and not needing an upgrade is a wonderful place to be. spend the next 4 months saving as much as you can to put toward your BB10 purchase.
    As we've discussed before, where the carriers suck people is getting them to pay for capacity they will never use - the OP should look at the last six month of bills and see how many minutes, texts he uses and work on that basis to get a sim-only contract. Might be worth switching network as well as the days where you got a better deal as an existing customer are largely gone in the UK, you can get as good or a better deal by leaving and them coming back as a new customer.
    08-08-12 06:57 AM
    As we've discussed before, where the carriers suck people is getting them to pay for capacity they will never use - the OP should look at the last six month of bills and see how many minutes, texts he uses and work on that basis to get a sim-only contract. Might be worth switching network as well as the days where you got a better deal as an existing customer are largely gone in the UK, you can get as good or a better deal by leaving and them coming back as a new customer.
    Usually I would agree looking back 6 months,

but because he changed from the 8520 to the 9320 only a few months ago, I would only look as far back as 1 month with the 8520 and the rest with the 9320, the different device and different OS could skew the data if one is to average out their usage over 6 months.
    08-08-12 07:03 AM
    I got bored with my old Razor phone and just got a Curve 9360. It was relatively inexpensive and I am waiting until the new BB10 phones come out.
    Not sure I am willing to spend what they (the new phones) cost but I am on a pre-paid contract so I have the flexibility.
    That is what I would suggest. Remain flexible. Get a Playbook if you want a newer UI.
    08-08-12 07:05 AM
    I wouldn't, not right now anyway. I would put aside $20-$30 a month for the next six months then when BB10 comes out use that money and whatever incentive you get to do the upgrade then.

As Timmy said, if you want that new UI now, just get the Playbook, they are a steal!
    08-08-12 08:09 AM
    I would say wait, and save up the money before then...
    Quote!

08-08-12 09:55 AM
    Get the 9900, you won't regret it.
    08-08-12 03:26 PM
    I was trying to hold out for the BB10 phones, and if you can do. My torch died so I had to grab a 9900 but it seems the QC is somewhat weak on these phones. In under 2 months I am waiting on my 4th phone... 1st worked for a while then wouldnt power up... 2nd had half the keyboard dead, 3rd never would power up at all... I am hopeful for the 4th one, but I have effectively been without a phone for 3 weeks now.

I am hoping that with all the focus on the new phones that they will be back to the bulletproof nature that RIM traditionally had.
    08-08-12 04:11 PM
    wait. Check to see what you can do with the one you have. Me I'm out of my contract and am waiting for BB10 with keyboard. Look at it this way, it's a good problem to have.
    08-08-12 06:57 PM
    If you were gonna get a 9900 you might as well just buy a used one. No reason to sign a new contract for it.
    08-08-12 07:00 PM
    go with the 9900

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    08-08-12 07:01 PM
    If you were gonna get a 9900 you might as well just buy a used one. No reason to sign a new contract for it.
    I agree!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Syrous44 likes this.
    08-08-12 07:02 PM
    Wait 2 months, and get the Iphone5...........then sell it immediately, and save up that money for the BB10.

Either way, I'd probably say wait.

If you really want to get the Bold, I would say go for it since the Bold is pretty slick as well. Though you'll probably be punching yourself when the BB10 comes out.
    08-08-12 07:17 PM
    The 9900 is a great device. I'd probably wait though for BB10 or buy a used 9900.
    08-08-12 09:21 PM
    A Bold is always a smart choice

Might want to get a refurb Bold rather than a new one with a 2 year contract with BB10 launching beginning of next year
    08-08-12 10:23 PM
    Hi guys, a little bit of advice needed. I am coming to the end of a 24 month BlackBerry contract and it runs out on the 28/8. The original contract phone was a Curve 8520, but I bought a sim free Curve 9320 when it came out and have had that for a couple months now.

I can upgrade to a Bold 9900 or 9790 now on good plans for �25 a month on a 24 month contract. Is it wise to get tied into another 2 year contract when BB10 could be out early 2013? Then again, not sure if I could afford the BB10 handset when its out.

And what does everyone reckon, 9900 or 9790

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using my thumbs
    Here is a better question, are you satisfied with your phone, does it work?

If the answer is yes and yes, why do you want to upgrade?
    08-08-12 10:45 PM
    Wait 2 months, and get the Iphone5...........then sell it immediately, and save up that money for the BB10.
    This makes no sense. You're telling the OP to burn his upgrade on an iPhone, probably get his account requisitioned for non-BIS data, then go through the hassle of selling his (used, by now) iPhone, and buy a BB10 phone most likely at retail price since he's already wasted his upgrade and deal with his carrier to have his BIS plan put back on.

OP, if I were you, I'd wait it out with the Curve you're using, or if the Curve isn't cutting it for you, upgrade to another device/platform you like and stick with it. There's no guarantee BB10 devices will be released on time (if at all), or, more importantly, if you'll even like them. Then, when your next upgrade comes, hopefully BB10 will be out and still around, and device/OS bugs will have been addressed.
    08-08-12 11:15 PM
    If you really want a 9900 to weather the wait, buy a used one. I upgraded from my 9700 to a Like new 9900 in March for �230. It has been worth it.

08-09-12 12:00 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD