I have been reading and watching a lot of reviews about the Passport and I think that it is such a sweet product. However, there is one concern that I have. Every review has mentioned it's huge size and how awkward it can be to use. One thing that hit home to me is how the size of the keyboard would take away, to some degree, the speed that the user will be able to type. I have a Q10, and the size of the keyboard is so nice. I can't reach every single key so quickly and effortlessly. Obviously, having such a huge screen would be a very big plus, but in all honesty, should BlackBerry have made the Passport a little bit smaller? I guess time will tell. Seeing how the Q10 has a 3.1" screen (I believe) and the Passport has a 4.5" screen, I think that a 4"-4.25" screen would have been the perfect size. The reason why I say this is because if my Q10 had the same touch-sensitive keyboard as the Passport, I honesty think I would keep my Q10 over the Passport.

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-25-14 04:22 PM
    It's all about compromises ... if you want to be able to easily type with one hand, you're going to end up with a smaller display. If you want a bigger display, well, you get the idea ...

That being said, if BBRY sees enough interest in the passport, it's always possible that they'll add that touch-sensitive keyboard to something closer to the size of the Classic. (And with any luck, they won't call it the Classic Plus ... )
    09-25-14 04:40 PM
    What they should've done was make the keyboard the size of the Q10, and on the each side of the keyboard front facing speakers. Still I'm very intrigued and might consider getting one.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 04:44 PM
    I think you'll see the next generation Q device will have the passport style keyboard. I think that is the future of the keyboard bbry phones that don't have the belt.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 06:45 PM
    Passport mini.

Valid suggestion.

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-25-14 07:06 PM
    I think you'll see the next generation Q device will have the passport style keyboard. I think that is the future of the keyboard bbry phones that don't have the belt.

Posted via CB10
    Tbh I actually liked the old BlackBerry keyboards better, just because it has shift keys and such. I know its for the sake of convenience and innovation, as well possibly ergonomic?? But I just wish they would make a bold style keyboard again with touch enabled
    09-25-14 07:24 PM
    Passport has definite purpose. Smaller screen would make 'just another phone' that tries to do it all but falls short.
    09-25-14 07:35 PM
    I would have a 4 inch screen ... minimal bezels and a full Bold keypad no toolbelt. That is the sweet spot. About the same width as a Classic but with a bigger screen.
    09-25-14 09:32 PM
    I like the idea of 4.25 I have small hands and the passport is just a hair too big. I can almost reach the Q when holding with my right hand. I do think that they can add one more row of keys. I know they wanted to meet the size of passport, but one extra row would help balance the weight of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 09:43 PM
    Passport mini.

Valid suggestion.

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    Get a q10.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    09-25-14 11:59 PM
    It's true that the Passport keyboard is a bit wide which makes typing slower than the Q10 at times. However it depends in practice because of a few reasons. You do get used to it and compensate and generally make even fewer errors. Also, it depends on how much editing you tend to do even on words you meant to type initially. The ability to swipe backwards to delete the last word saves me so much time on the Passport. I cringe when I have to delete a lot of words the Q10 waiting for the delete key. Also, if you're good at flick typing on the Z10 and Z30, the Passport's wide keyboard makes it easier to swipe in the three "columns".

I do agree that they could have made the keys a bit narrower and more compact, and then found a way to fit in the comma, period, and exclamation point characters or even three more along the left and right sides to take advantage of the width. Shift isn't a big deal because a long press can handle that or the bigger virtual key is easy to hit. I also don't have any issues with the spacebar width. You quickly adapt.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 12:16 AM
    Passport mini anyone?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 12:40 AM
    Get a q10.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    Is that a QQ10..whoops.
    09-26-14 12:45 AM
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I want a smaller Passport. Just for a visual reference, 4.25" is almost exactly the size of the standard Post-it or sticky note. The phone itself would be the size of a 3"x5" notepad. Man, that would be sweet.
    Smaller BlackBerry Passport?-img_20140926_081040.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 09:10 AM
    PASSPORT MINI

4inch screen, would be the perfection, same layout as current passport
    09-26-14 09:16 AM
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I want a smaller Passport. Just for a visual reference, 4.25" is almost exactly the size of the standard Post-it or sticky note. The phone itself would be the size of a 3"x5" notepad. Man, that would be sweet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140926_081040.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	300667

Posted via CB10
    A 4.25 inch Passport would be 123 mm x 85 mm . To get to a 3 inch device width (76.2 mm) the screen would be about 3.5 inches = a Classic.

The Classic will be very close to what you are suggesting. Your design has no housing or bezels etc to contend with.

The problem once again is the square screen. This is the best Blackberry never made:

How BlackBerry Can Drive the Resurgence of the Physical Keyboard | N4BB
    09-26-14 09:56 AM
    I understand that the dimensions aren't perfect, it's the thought that I am talking about. Make the phone 3.25" wide, then the 4.25" screen would fit.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 10:04 AM
    [QUOTE=Bbnivende;10891629]A 4.25 inch Passport would be 123 mm x 85 mm . To get to a 3 inch device width (76.2 mm) the screen would be about 3.5 inches = a Classic.

The Classic will be very close to what you are suggesting. Your design has no housing or bezels etc to contend with.

The problem once again is the square screen. This is the best Blackberry never made:

Unfortunately they can't (or won't) make the phone you are referring to. They are sticking to their two different aspect ratios, not creating a third.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 10:07 AM
    The BlackBerry Matchbook is coming soon.

Posted from my Q10.
    09-26-14 10:14 AM
    I'm so glad that John Chen is the one making the decisions and not these immature Crackberry users who want a front facing speaker on the side of the keyboard or some third keyboard product that the Classic already covers for.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    09-26-14 10:18 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140926_081040.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	300667

Posted via CB10
    The Blackberry Notepad?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    armanatron likes this.
    09-26-14 10:19 AM
    Make the classic have a capacitive keyboard and make everyone happy!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 10:20 AM
    I'm so glad that John Chen is the one making the decisions and not these immature Crackberry users who want a front facing speaker on the side of the keyboard or some third keyboard product that the Classic already covers for.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    Just so you know, Chen had nothing to do with the design of either the Passport or the Classic. The Classic does not cover what I am talking about. The technology they have developed for the Passport's keyboard should not be kept solely for the Passport. I don't see how it would be "immature" to have another keyboard device. Sure, all touch is great for multimedia, but guess what? BlackBerry is not focusing on those users. I would actually suggest it is more immature from a business stand point to demand more than one all touch device. No matter what people want, that's not what BlackBerry is aiming for, other than in emerging markets.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 10:40 AM
    A 4:3 aspect ratio with the same size of a Passport will be awesome. Watching movies will be good in landscape while still able to enjoy the wide screen. WORK WIDE.
    09-26-14 10:52 AM