Jeez I'm sick of this.

Is anyone else experiencing a slow GPS radio?

It hardly ever works when I'm indoors and when i'm outside it takes about 30-50 seconds to pick up. today it wasn't even able to pick up after a minute of turning on google maps.... my buddy's iphone wacks my 9700's gps. I'm beginning to wonder if i have a weak gps radio or a defective one.

Any thoughts?
    01-28-10 10:05 AM
    it wont work in doors most the time...
    01-28-10 10:06 AM
    I have yet to see a quick GPS on any phone. It's handy to link with google maps and what not, but I depend on my Tom Tom if I'm driving. Usually though once you acquire a signal it will stick with it.
    01-28-10 10:25 AM
    I was able to update it pretty quick the other night but i was outside. I went to the options menu-looked for gps and i updated my location. Google maps picked it immediatelly after that.
    01-28-10 10:26 AM
    This requires a bit more info on how GPS works.

GPS signals are very weak, unless you're in a house with a very thin roof, you won't get a signal at all. One of my friends owned one of the very first nauticle handheld GPS units: covering the antenna with his bare hand blocked the signal completely.

That said, GPS cold starts require a lot of processor power. My in-car Garmin, whose sole function is as a GPS receiver, and which has a yagi panel antenna about the side of my BlackBerry's screen, takes up to 45 seconds to lock after a cold start.

If you're moving when you try to lock, you'll incur an even longer lock penalty.

This isn't a defect in your BlackBerry. Do you have Options > Advanced Options > GPS > Location Aiding and Location Data both Enabled?

Look, GPS is a complex technology. Your device requires at least 4 satellites for even a vague position, and that requires some time to acquire. These satellites orbit at slightly over 20 000 km, and 6 should normally be visible from anywhere on Earth, barring man-made obstructions, like buildings. My GPS is useless on Wall Street, for example, I can't lock onto any satellites.
    01-28-10 10:29 AM
    This is the only negative issue I have found on the 9700! It has by far the worst GPS compared to my other BB. Even my wifes old Pearl gets the GPS in doors when I can't. It also takes forever when accessing outdoors.
    01-28-10 10:33 AM
    My GPS takes a long time to find me if I use an application. For example, Poynt or Superpages Mobile, take about a minute to find my location.
    However, google maps usually finds me fairly quickly.

But then again, this is a phone GPS, this isn't a Garmin or a TomTom, you can't expect it to find you the second you load it and have perfect directions.
    More often than not, your GPS will have found your wrong location, but usually within 1000 yards.
    01-28-10 11:14 AM
    I have both Bold 9000 and Onyx 9700
    On the 9000, GPS on Google map takes an incredible 10 seconds. It is way faster than my Nuvi 200 Garmin I have in my car. The Garmin takes minutes! On the onyx 9700, it is very very slow, and some days just would not connect at all.

Im not sure if it is the clouds in the sky that is affecting it, but the antenna is super weak. I tested all (Bold, Onyx, Garmin) GPS side by side. The Onyx is always the slowest and most of the time it wouldn't connect at all.

Im on .423
    Also note: My bold 9000 used to be super slow at connecting until I updated to the latest firmware. And then its blazing fast
    Cheers
    01-28-10 11:30 AM
    Strange. I find the 9700 just as fast as my 9000 and faster then the iPhone 3GS. I just got a lock in 10 seconds in maps with 6 sattelites in the top floor of my office building with thick roof. On .442. I do find FW versions can make a diff.
    01-28-10 12:46 PM
    Never had an issue with GPS finding me on Google Maps while in the car.

Strange. I find the 9700 just as fast as my 9000 and faster then the iPhone 3GS. I just got a lock in 10 seconds in maps with 6 sattelites in the top floor of my office building with thick roof. On .442. I do find FW versions can make a diff.
    01-28-10 12:55 PM
    This requires a bit more info on how GPS works.

GPS signals are very weak, unless you're in a house with a very thin roof, you won't get a signal at all. One of my friends owned one of the very first nauticle handheld GPS units: covering the antenna with his bare hand blocked the signal completely.

That said, GPS cold starts require a lot of processor power. My in-car Garmin, whose sole function is as a GPS receiver, and which has a yagi panel antenna about the side of my BlackBerry's screen, takes up to 45 seconds to lock after a cold start.

If you're moving when you try to lock, you'll incur an even longer lock penalty.

This isn't a defect in your BlackBerry. Do you have Options > Advanced Options > GPS > Location Aiding and Location Data both Enabled?

Look, GPS is a complex technology. Your device requires at least 4 satellites for even a vague position, and that requires some time to acquire. These satellites orbit at slightly over 20 000 km, and 6 should normally be visible from anywhere on Earth, barring man-made obstructions, like buildings. My GPS is useless on Wall Street, for example, I can't lock onto any satellites.

That just won't flush. My 8800 gets a lock inside almost any building and used to get a lock inside my old apartment which was on the first floor (two story building). So please don't misinform the community with your "this is a complex technology" the truth is the blackberry 9700 doesn't have good gps if it cann't get a lock indoors. It certainly isn't trying to make it's GPS chipset public information.
    Last edited by dennis355; 02-06-10 at 07:59 AM.
    02-06-10 07:50 AM
    I find my GPS on my 9700 to be okay and accurate. When I used my 8320, it was off by about 2800 meters. I use Google Maps all the time and it picks up fairly fast. The only issue I have is that the map doesn't load fast and the blue dot doesn't update quickly enough. I noticed I had passed the street when my location said I was getting close to a specific street. If you're concerned about your GPS, then just buy a Garmin, Tom Tom, or any other one out on the market. I wouldn't rely on my devices GPS though but it has gotten me to my destination every time.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-06-10 09:04 AM
    This is the only negative issue I have found on the 9700! It has by far the worst GPS compared to my other BB. Even my wifes old Pearl gets the GPS in doors when I can't. It also takes forever when accessing outdoors.
    Hmmm, this was the opposite for me. My Pearl would rarely every lock on to GPS signal when I was indoors. But my 9700 doesnt have any problems acquiring a signal at all. Fast too.
    02-06-10 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD