Interesting news, I was actually hoping so. I'd probably get the Android version of that slider, however, since BlackBerry will be featuring a full Android device, Google might finally accept the installation of Google Play Services on BB10.

What I'm a little worried about is how BlackBerry will implement their UI. Other manufacturers have a lot more experience on Android than BlackBerry, so I hope their UI won't be buggy.

Posted via CB10
    Steelsheen likes this.
    08-19-15 08:15 AM
    Maybe BlackBerry is doing a Nokia? When the latter was still around, they had Series 60 (Symbian) and Series 40 platforms.
    08-19-15 08:18 AM
    I know your horse. And I did talk... ;-)

:-D

That's hot news, mate!

(So if that's true, I was right, BlackBerry is going dual rail on the OS track! Naysayers can hold their breath, ...

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    Was the horses name Mr Ed?!

Still though that would be a good thing I was just thinking that.

Yet I already see a fault in the PKB design submerged keys.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 08:20 AM
    You guys are assuming the android version would sell better than OS10. I seriously cant imagine it doing any better since the only real thing differentiating android devices is bleeding edge hardware and stupid gimmicks. I don't see Blackberry keeping up with that and to abandon the only thing that made them superior would be a really bad move. People might buy it at first because its new but they will still be looking at the next big thing.
    Well, there's no harm in trying. BB10 had its chance for the past few years and see where they are now. I'd hardly describe them as "superior."
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-19-15 08:22 AM
    That will be relief if true. I hate the idea of them going EOL with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure?
    08-19-15 08:24 AM
    I won't reveal my source, but from the horses mouth, Slider will be Android, but will be a BB10 version too!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    Hmm a lot of the speculations in this thread is that there will be two versions. But what if the Slider is actually a BB10 OS with a virtual Android which allows full Google Play Services that is seamlessly integrated. This way the look and feel is still BB10, Hub is still there, etc. But now Android apks with Google dependences can work. So BB10 is still essentially secure and so is the Android running on top of BB10.
    08-19-15 08:27 AM
    I really hate the possibility that this will allow them to release a standard version of Android without added baked in security (eg hypervisor), and continue to claim that security remains important and that's why they're keeping BB10. That would 've a total cop out - would be much better for them to commit 100% to making a secure version of Android instead.

Of course I speculate, but I really hope they don't try to pull something half assed like this.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-19-15 08:28 AM
    My only question is why would you want to? BlackBerry 10 is a far more productive environment.
    I own Z3, Z10, Z30. Q5, Q10, Passport, a pair of Classic, and Leap, while I have been a BlackBerry addict since BlackBerry 8707.

I work for financial industry where many large institutions have already discontinued BES and support for legacy OS devices . . . while they are not willing to start accommodating BlackBerry 10 devices. At many large financial institutions only iPhone and a selection of Android devices are permitted for corporate use to my regret.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 08:29 AM
    Maybe BlackBerry is doing a Nokia? When the latter was still around, they had Series 60 (Symbian) and Series 40 platforms.
    You forget S90 (7700/7710) the first real tablets.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 08:33 AM
    So, two different OS's and we know that it will come in both black and white versions so that means 4 different models?
    IMHO that makes two devices. One white one black. Running BlackBerry's software with an internal setting to make it look like Android, if thats what the owner likes, or to make it look like BB10 if you prefer. Use of better Google Play services for whichever route you select.
    08-19-15 08:36 AM
    Are you serious? Are you an app developer? There are so many things that are missing on BB10 in terms of development. This is Playbook all over again. Throw something out before it is ready. Add the missing things slowly. Abandon it. An OS needs to continuously move forward. I guess Android doesn't need Lollipop or Marshmallow too. Or iOS doesn't need 9 because it is mature.
    Could you please list a few of the "so many things" missing from BB10? As someone who is very productive with my 10.3.2 BB10, I am curious what it is that I'm missing? I feel that the OS would be usable as is for several years with only maintenance updates, but perhaps I'm missing the bigger picture?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 08:42 AM
    I won't reveal my source, but from the horses mouth, Slider will be Android, but will be a BB10 version too!

Your horse was not very talkative. Both OS's on two versions of the slider or both on one device?

If on two devices will the BB10 version have runtime?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 08:49 AM
    Your horse was not very talkative. Both OS's on two versions of the slider or both on one device?

If on two devices will the BB10 version have runtime?

Posted via CB10
    Two versions.

Bbnivende likes this.
    08-19-15 08:52 AM
    Hmm a lot of the speculations in this thread is that there will be two versions. But what if the Slider is actually a BB10 OS with a virtual Android which allows full Google Play Services that is seamlessly integrated. This way the look and feel is still BB10, Hub is still there, etc. But now Android apks with Google dependences can work. So BB10 is still essentially secure and so is the Android running on top of BB10.
    That has been speculated many times.... but there many reason that we "think" it won't happen.

And there has been NO indication that is what they are working on.... there are still a lot of questions about what BlackBerry is doing. But many times the simplest solution is the best one.

Stock Android
    BlackBerry UI
    BlackBerry Experience App(s)

Then Legacy BB10 for some existing enterprise users... with the clear understanding that BB10 is EOL, much like they continued to sell BBOS devices for almost two years after BB10 was launched... but with no improvements to BBOS.

So two versions, doesn't really mean that BB10 is a viable OS.
    Pcmx likes this.
    08-19-15 09:06 AM
    Could you please list a few of the "so many things" missing from BB10? As someone who is very productive with my 10.3.2 BB10, I am curious what it is that I'm missing? I feel that the OS would be usable as is for several years with only maintenance updates, but perhaps I'm missing the bigger picture?

Posted via CB10
    I speak as a developer and there are many things missing from the SDK in terms of support.

* No chart and graphing support.
    * Simple graphic elements like just drawing a circle.
    * Interactive SVG support.
    * No documentation for common GUI controls.
    * Cascades has missing features of Qt. You have to program outside of Cascades to get what you need.
    * No official Qt5 support.

That is just off the top of my head.
    08-19-15 09:12 AM
    I dont really care how they make it work as long as it works.

Apps+Hub+keypad=Win

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 09:13 AM
    Well, there's no harm in trying. BB10 had its chance for the past few years and see where they are now. I'd hardly describe them as "superior."
    Superior doesn't equal popularity. People generally don't always chose the BEST over what everyone else says to buy. OS10 with an app ecosystem rivaling android or iOS would undeniably be the best option out there.
    08-19-15 09:24 AM
    QNX10
    08-19-15 09:28 AM
    Past few years? Try two. What did iOS or Android look like after two years of being released.
    lift, theone06 and jgrobertson like this.
    08-19-15 09:43 AM
    My bet is that the slider will have two versions:

1) Less secure Android (some kind of layer to protect it) for the masses.
    2) Secured BB10 for Corporate needs.

The stock will benefit for the increased sales and JC will save the hardware section.

Also I suppose that everyone at BB is heavily involved in developing for the Slider's Android version at this time.
    BB10 is already enough finished for the purpose...

It's impossible that BB throws away a thousand hours' work, to code BlackBerry10. To me, there will be a better integration between BB10 and Android. Not to mention there's a cooperation agreement between Google and BlackBerry to secure the green robot.

If BB10 will go EOL, I'll be proud to have the last smartphone that sports BlackBerry's name, since Android is NOT BlackBerry...
    gfondeur and 00stryder like this.
    08-19-15 09:48 AM
    Considering BB has laid off developers and the slider appears to be coming as two variants, what's to say the focus hasn't been on incorporating Android and after it's up - running and mature, returning to BB10 to finalize it's development. Or, dare I say?, even move forward.

From all I've read, I too believe BB10 is near EOL.
    08-19-15 09:51 AM
    Everyone so excited...this phone is DOA no matter what OS
    08-19-15 09:51 AM

Also I suppose that everyone at BB is heavily involved in developing for the Slider's Android version at this time.

If BB10 will go EOL, I'll be proud to have the last smartphone that sports BlackBerry's name, since Android is NOT BlackBerry...
    ^^^^^^^ THIS!

Posted via CB10
    JulesDB likes this.
    08-19-15 09:55 AM
    Everyone so excited...this phone is DOA no matter what OS
    I'd have to agree. Nothing BB10 is going to attract more interest than current devices and an android device in a sea of android devices is going to be hard to stand out. Given BBRY's history of rushing half backed crap to market I worry this may be the last mistake in the hardware biz.

I also think the demand for slider devices is low and the price point won't likely help the lost cause.
    08-19-15 09:58 AM

1) Less secure Android (some kind of layer to protect it) for the masses.
    2) Secured BB10 for Corporate needs.

It's impossible that BB throws away a thousand hours' work, to code BlackBerry10.

Not all of the business world needs BB10 level of security.... as Apples dominance in the business market can attest to. Pretty sure that only highly regulated industries and top levels of government needed it. And to be honest, it seems like KNOX is able to fit into many of these markets, so I'm not sure whey a DroidBerry couldn't.

No OS is ever finished, unless it is "finished".... like BBOS is finished, and the PlayBook OS is finished. Really doesn't matter how much you invest into something... at some point it's best to cut your loses and move on.

There are many BBOS users that believe they owned the last smartphone that was a true BlackBerry.... For most consumers, BIS was the heart of what made a BlackBerry different..
    08-19-15 10:02 AM
518 12345 ...