Ok, I'm not gonna beat the Skype thing to death here, but I thought I would share my experience with Skype To Go.

The way it works in North America is that you enter the city you live in, or are visiting, and you are ultimately given a local calling number to access your Skype account. You must register your phone number with Skype so that it knows it's you logging in.

You can then access your account by calling the local number.

The one downside I have experienced so far is that your local rate plan applies. I am a CityFido customer, so all local calls for me are free...including the call to Skype.

I apologize if most people already know about this, but I wanted to share my thoughts on it.

Cheers,
    Costa
    bobauckland likes this.
    03-26-12 02:39 AM
    I think the calling part is not a problem. Its the Video chat part that people are dying for

- charles
    03-26-12 02:50 AM
    I dunno Charles....most people I know would love to be able to access their skype account for calling as a minimum....video would be great as well, but I figured as many people probably have at least free evenings and weekends on their rate plan, this option would make sense to call their contacts through their skype plan.
    03-26-12 02:59 AM
    Skype voice is the ONLY reason i consider other tablets or phone platforms.

For as much international travel and international friends and family i have it is essential. Since BB phones are so popular with international businessmen and important figures, i cant believe skype isnt on all BB's. Its way, way more important than most give it credit for.

I don't like having to be restricted to my laptop for cheap phone calls.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    03-26-12 07:38 AM
    For as much international travel and international friends and family i have it is essential. Since BB phones are so popular with international businessmen and important figures, i cant believe skype isnt on all BB's. Its way, way more important than most give it credit for.
    The very point which puzzles me.
    03-26-12 08:24 AM
    I wish someone would make google talk work on the PB....
    Why Skype? I mean, I know why but seems like G-talk would be easier to implement.
    03-26-12 08:35 AM
    I use pfingo bounce. I enter the nmbr (A) I wish to call and the nmbr (B) pfingo should call me on when (A) gets connected. This is done on my BB or PB, pfingo bounce has apps for both.

Its not like skype but at least I get VOIP. I think the rates are more than a skyp call but not much more.
    03-26-12 10:44 AM
    Its all about calling..

there is a skype alternative for low cost international calling, or for calling while roaming... try the MobileVOIP app from App World..

The current version (2.5) uses wifi calling only, $0.03 to connect and <$0.01/min

I have successfully been using this for a few months on iPad and Android and have been testing this 2.5 version on a 9930.. it works.
    03-26-12 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD