Looking at BB users who want and those who don't, there are other considerations which they all overlook for mobile use. Cellular carrier (non)acceptance and monetization will be a major obstacle which will probably constrain Skype to WiFi. Even if the carrier allows usage Skype video calls will have a huge impact on available bandwidth and eat a typical user's data package faster than anything now available.
    Skype already works on 2G/3G/4G. Skype video chat has been available for smartphones on wireless carriers for over 2 years. Data usage on my iPhone averages about.... 100MB or so per hour. When in the US, I have a 3GB package. I used to use Skype maybe 10 hours a month over 3G. Perhaps my usage patterns aren't very heavy, but I'm usually near Wifi, so I've never gone over, usually end up with about 2.5G per month or so.

Addendum: Data usage actually varies a bit. On most calls, I hover around 150kbps, but occasionally, I connect to HD, at which consumes data much faster, I think about 5X faster. When that happens I ask the person on the other end to dial it down and call me back.

EDIT: The data usage refers to video calls. Voice calls use a lot less.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 12-29-12 at 10:31 AM.
    12-29-12 08:44 AM
    Skype also goes to any landline phone.
    Exactly!

I use that a lot to call friends and family abroad to landlines. Cheaper than using calling cards and more practical.

While traveling I have to use my husband's ipad
    12-29-12 08:49 AM
    Skype already works on 2G/3G/4G. Skype video chat has been available for smartphones on wireless carriers for over 2 years. Data usage on my iPhone averages about.... 100MB or so per hour. When in the US, I have a 3GB package. I used to use Skype maybe 10 hours a month over 3G. Perhaps my usage patterns aren't very heavy, but I'm usually near Wifi, so I've never gone over, usually end up with about 2.5G per month or so.
    I'm sorry but there's no way Skype works on 2G, it probably works trough a local number, not direct voip connection.
    12-29-12 08:51 AM
    Exactly!

I use that a lot to call friends and family abroad to landlines. Cheaper than using calling cards and more practical.

While traveling I have to use my husband's ipad
    Actually Skype is quite expensive for that, Vopium for example is much cheaper.
    12-29-12 08:53 AM
    I'm sorry but there's no way Skype works on 2G, it probably works trough a local number, not direct voip connection.
    Skype voice works fine through 2G. I use it quite frequently when in the boonies in China. I have a 60 minute per month plan.

Addendum: Calling through a local number requires something called Skype Out, and uses Skype credit. I don't have Skype credit, so obviously, no Skype Out.
    12-29-12 08:54 AM
    Skype voice works fine through 2G. I use it quite frequently when in the boonies in China. I have a 60 minute per month plan.
    Can anybody else confirm this? I find it hard to believe, even radio streaming is next to impossible on 2G, never mind a two way voip conversation.
    12-29-12 08:58 AM
    Can anybody else confirm this? I find it hard to believe, even radio streaming is next to impossible on 2G, never mind a two way voip conversation.
    Here's a video some guy made on Youtube:

12-29-12 09:08 AM
    Here's a video some guy made on Youtube:

That doesn't prove you can hold a live conversation plus the guy must be on very fast EDGE, 2G includes GPRS so it's a bit misleading to claim it works on 2G.
    12-29-12 09:15 AM
    From Skype:

"2G connections are only able to provide very limited speeds: up to 60kbit/s download and up to 40kbit/s upload. Whilst it may be technically possible to make a Skype call over a 2G connection, it is likely to be very unreliable. We recommend using Skype over 3G connections whenever possible."
    12-29-12 09:21 AM
    That doesn't prove you can hold a live conversation plus the guy must be on very fast EDGE, 2G includes GPRS so it's a bit misleading to claim it works on 2G.
    I would say it more proves it than disproves it, you can hear the Skype lady speak perfectly fine, and even the call back is perfectly understandable. And yes, by 2G, I mean EDGE. I've never tried it on GPRS, but I think most people assume 2G to mean EDGE, and not GPRS.
    12-29-12 09:25 AM
    From Skype:

"2G connections are only able to provide very limited speeds: up to 60kbit/s download and up to 40kbit/s upload. Whilst it may be technically possible to make a Skype call over a 2G connection, it is likely to be very unreliable. We recommend using Skype over 3G connections whenever possible."
    Yep, it sounds much better on 3G, since you get HD voice. But like I said, it works fine on EDGE, and sounds like a normal phone call. Skype audio only needs a minimum of 30kbps to work.

EDIT: Added a screenshot of the EDGE speeds I get in China. It's plenty for Skype voice.
    Attached Thumbnails Skype On BlackBerry10?-img_8749.jpg  
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 12-29-12 at 10:20 AM.
    12-29-12 09:27 AM
    I'm doubtful of Skype on BB10. I don't see Microsoft giving it's competitor an edge. They are both battling for #3 spot in the mobile game and 2013 is where ish gets real. I only see it happening if Microsoft gets pressured from many corporate bigwigs that still use their BlackBerry devices. If it's there at launch, then disregard everything I just said, lol.
    12-29-12 10:10 AM
    Skype is a tool which I use for professional communication, with colleages and customers. In my company, we have a voip/v�deo/conferencing inhouse services, but Skype is widelly prefered, considering the simplicity, it is cross platform and we are already connected. Also, skype is 'tolerated' by my IT department. Simply, no chance to move to any other system, just because my bb10 does not support skype.

I am aware that it is ms blocking and not RIM, but IMHO, there is no substitude and it will be a selling problem in my corner of the world.
    MTL likes this.
    12-29-12 12:44 PM
    Yep, it sounds much better on 3G, since you get HD voice. But like I said, it works fine on EDGE, and sounds like a normal phone call. Skype audio only needs a minimum of 30kbps to work.

EDIT: Added a screenshot of the EDGE speeds I get in China. It's plenty for Skype voice.
    That's very fast EDGE I must say, here's mine on Vodafone UK.
    Attached Thumbnails Skype On BlackBerry10?-edshot-20-sat-20dec-2029-202012-207.44.24-20pm-.jpg  
    12-29-12 01:48 PM
    Yes, but all cell phones can also all ready do that. I just use calling cards, some of which are cheaper than Skype.
    12-29-12 02:04 PM
    I'm doubtful of Skype on BB10. I don't see Microsoft giving it's competitor an edge. They are both battling for #3 spot in the mobile game and 2013 is where ish gets real. I only see it happening if Microsoft gets pressured from many corporate bigwigs that still use their BlackBerry devices. If it's there at launch, then disregard everything I just said, lol.
    That isn't necessarily true. Microsoft licensed filing system technology to RIM back in September for what everyone assumes is for BlackBerry 10 devices.
    12-29-12 02:21 PM
    Skype would be great. IMHO RIM needs to make BBM the mobile/desktop premier IM service. Put BBM beyond the consumer/enterprise space. Medical, automotive, M2M etc. Have the broadest and most extensive support period. This is where I see BBM going. Top it all off with video chat and we're set

File sharing,e-commerce etc. Totally interactive and supporting vast lateral integration.
    12-29-12 02:44 PM
    Well, i think that Blackberry will be heading for the Skype addition as it is the only tool that's still absent from their devices. With it installed, they will be the king of the market.
    12-29-12 03:30 PM
    Yes, but all cell phones can also all ready do that. I just use calling cards, some of which are cheaper than Skype.
    If you pay $3 a month, you get unlimited calling to phone numbers in the US and Canada with Skype. A lot of people use that service.
    12-29-12 03:38 PM
    That isn't necessarily true. Microsoft licensed filing system technology to RIM back in September for what everyone assumes is for BlackBerry 10 devices.
    MS will license it's EXFAT tech to anybody who's willing to pay for it. That's a far cry from going out and making an app.
    12-29-12 03:39 PM
    Another of many similar posts.....
    They're everywhere, they're everywhere

The attack of the post police.
    TroubleTrouble likes this.
    12-29-12 04:03 PM
    I'd like to see Skype there but I would hardly if ever use it. I will be using bbm a lot though. Skype has no bearing on whether or not I buy a device. It never has and probably never will.
    12-29-12 07:57 PM
    hopefully lots of people get BB10 and it won't matter about skype because BBM would be free
    12-30-12 02:43 AM
    don't know anyone with a landline left
    12-30-12 02:46 AM
    We can't make Microsoft the key to BlackBerry 10's success. Yes, I would like OneNote, Netflix, Office, Skype, Messenger, and every other Microsoft application that is available, but if they're not there that's fine too. This is not a Microsoft phone, it's a BlackBerry.

Live Messenger has been on BlackBerry for YEARS. Microsoft is combining it with Skype in Q1. RIM is most likely not going to cut off an important service to consumers, and going to give us Skype.
    12-30-12 02:58 AM
62 123