I think we have all been waiting for the Skype application to come to BlackBerry. One of my friends got it for his iPhone and I played around with it and I must say I really liked the interface.

Now I checked out Skype's site and there is one thing I'm not completely sure about.

1. If I just want to have an IM convo with anyone of my contacts will it just use my data plan?
    2. If I make or receive a call from someone using Skype on their PC or using the Skype application on a iPhone or BlackBerry will we both be using our data plan and minutes?
    3. If I have credits on Skype and place a call to a landline or mobile number will it use my local airtime minutes as well as my Skype credits? I just don't want to be charged for making a long distance call and have to use my Skype credits as well as being charged for long distance charges by my carrier (Rogers).

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully both Skyfire and Skype come out for the BB on the same day ...Yeah I know that's wishful thinking!
    04-28-09 12:20 PM
    AFAIK, the official Skype app uses data, no minutes...but I could be very wrong about this.

I know for a fact that other Skype implementations on BB use your minutes (and charge you an extra fee) because you call an intermediary number which redirects you to the Skype account you're calling, again IIRC.

IM convo should be using data....whats the alternative, SMS? I highly doubt they'd do something like that..
    04-28-09 12:24 PM
    AFAIK, the official Skype app uses data, no minutes...but I could be very wrong about this.

I know for a fact that other Skype implementations on BB use your minutes (and charge you an extra fee) because you call an intermediary number which redirects you to the Skype account you're calling, again IIRC.

IM convo should be using data....whats the alternative, SMS? I highly doubt they'd do something like that..
    Thanks for the info.

I think I'll just stick to using the Skype app for IM convos then.
    04-28-09 12:29 PM
    i hope it uses data! i would be way psyched about this
    04-28-09 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD