Considering that Microsoft is competing directly with BB for the 3rd position in the carriers' stores, is that a likely reason we're not going to see Skype at launch? If I were them I'd hold it from us too. I think they'd make more money from BB failing as opposed to the revenues from deploying Skype on a new, relatively small platform.
    05-31-12 08:28 PM
    That's pretty much the way I see it. WP isn't close to third place yet but Microsoft has the ability to outlast RIM. To the extent they can starve RIM out by not letting them compete with this in-demand app they have an interest in doing so.
    05-31-12 08:47 PM
    Could be the tools ndk doesn't give access to what skype needs yet. I dunno.
    05-31-12 08:54 PM
    I don't think that's the reason.

First, Microsoft could simply acquire RIM if they saw RIM as a viable competitor. I know that wouldn't come cheap, but that would cost Microsoft definitely less than they paid for Skype. In other words, Microsoft would spare the money if they saw RIM as a threat, which would be a prudent investment in the long-run since again competing with a VIABLE rival would cost them more.

Second, RIM is not the only competitor, but somehow other competitors enjoy Skype.

In short, I simply think that the number of Playbooks in the wild is not a good incentive for Skype to bother with a PBOS app. At present, Microsoft (as well as other companies) simply don't perceive BB10 to be a major player in the market in the foreseeable future. This may change when and if BB10 gains at least some market share.

Alternatively, as some people alluded, there may be some agreements between RIM and Skype (and possibly carriers) preventing development of an app for PBOS and BB. Otherwise, I don't know how to explain the availability of Skype for Blackberry only on Verizon (useless as it is since no BB phone has a front-facing camera). .
    Last edited by kennyliu; 05-31-12 at 09:07 PM.
    05-31-12 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD