03-30-10 12:44 AM
76 1234
tools
    I think it's about separating out the niches here. No little BlackBerry will ever replace a full PC or laptop- it wasn't made to. It's an unfair comparison. But have you tried using a laptop in the car on the fly to type an email, check a website, or look up directions? It's hardly convenient, what with the size, lack of battery after two hours, and looking for wifi spots to get internet. This is where the BlackBerry shines. Is it just like a MacBook? Of course not. But it's sure as heck better than nothing, and can accomplish those tasks. Besides, if it's all built into your phone, you have it on you anyway, right?

The people (like me) who end up using a laptop less after getting or BB probably did netbook-like things on it a majority of the time: email, casual web surfing, forums, some streaming music, or looking up random things. For us, it's easier to grab the phone (which is usually already with us, on, and ready) instead of booting up our computers. We also get into the BB habit, since it's what we do whenever we aren't at home or near a PC. But when it comes time to encode video, build webpages, write an assignment for school, or upload to an ftp, I immediately get on my laptop. Convenience is fine, but I know enough to use the right tool for the job.

As far the video-watching goes... most people have the wrong impression. I don't think anyone turns off their 40" HDTV so they can stare two hours at a BB screen. The big fans there are people stuck on buses, planes, any long passenger commutes, waiting rooms, lunch breaks, etc. Anywhere you'd normally be bored out of your skull and crave some relaxation and amusement. My wife hated her last job, so it was a life saver for her that each break time she could watch some light comedy on her BlackBerry and take a mental breather before going back to it. Also keep in mind that the BB media player saves your spot, so longer videos can be enjoyed throughout the day in more than one sitting.

I'm guilty of foregoing my watch for a phone, but only out of logical redundancy- if I leave the house, I have my phone on me to tell me what time it is. If I'm at home, I have clocks on the wall. So other than an aesthetic adornment, watches just don't serve a purpose.

Lastly, it's a technophile / coolness thing. Sure, laptop screens are bigger. Of course PC keyboards are more ergonomic and faster. But here's this awesome little gadget in front of us that does practically everything, so of course we want to use and enjoy it!
    03-25-10 03:53 PM
    Well stated and I agree, for the most part. While I agree that NOBODY would be turning off their 40" HDTV (had to laugh at the thought of that one happening, lol) I do hear/see of an awful lot of people that seem to be perfectly content watching a movie on their phone...I don't get it, but they seem to.

Regarding the watch thing...I do have to disagree. Assuming you carry your phone in a holster on your belt or in your pocket, the effort to catch a quick glance of the time is far greater than if you had a simple time piece on your wrist. Until the time comes when we have either a smart phone embedded in our wrists or, one in our ear with full audio properties, I for one don't foresee a phone taking over the world of watches...of course, I'm the last one to foresee the future of technology and how people adapt!

Of course, all of this conversation seems to be treading around the iPad issue. This obviously seems to be the go-between a smart phone and a computer (or, at least a laptop). My good buddy just ordered his, can't wait to see it and play with it.

I'm guilty of foregoing my watch for a phone, but only out of logical redundancy- if I leave the house, I have my phone on me to tell me what time it is. If I'm at home, I have clocks on the wall. So other than an aesthetic adornment, watches just don't serve a purpose.

Lastly, it's a technophile / coolness thing. Sure, laptop screens are bigger. Of course PC keyboards are more ergonomic and faster. But here's this awesome little gadget in front of us that does practically everything, so of course we want to use and enjoy it!
    03-25-10 04:01 PM
    I think it's about separating out the niches here. No little BlackBerry will ever replace a full PC or laptop- it wasn't made to. It's an unfair comparison. But have you tried using a laptop in the car on the fly to type an email, check a website, or look up directions? It's hardly convenient, what with the size, lack of battery after two hours, and looking for wifi spots to get internet. This is where the BlackBerry shines. Is it just like a MacBook? Of course not. But it's sure as heck better than nothing, and can accomplish those tasks. Besides, if it's all built into your phone, you have it on you anyway, right?

The people (like me) who end up using a laptop less after getting or BB probably did netbook-like things on it a majority of the time: email, casual web surfing, forums, some streaming music, or looking up random things. For us, it's easier to grab the phone (which is usually already with us, on, and ready) instead of booting up our computers. We also get into the BB habit, since it's what we do whenever we aren't at home or near a PC. But when it comes time to encode video, build webpages, write an assignment for school, or upload to an ftp, I immediately get on my laptop. Convenience is fine, but I know enough to use the right tool for the job.

As far the video-watching goes... most people have the wrong impression. I don't think anyone turns off their 40" HDTV so they can stare two hours at a BB screen. The big fans there are people stuck on buses, planes, any long passenger commutes, waiting rooms, lunch breaks, etc. Anywhere you'd normally be bored out of your skull and crave some relaxation and amusement. My wife hated her last job, so it was a life saver for her that each break time she could watch some light comedy on her BlackBerry and take a mental breather before going back to it. Also keep in mind that the BB media player saves your spot, so longer videos can be enjoyed throughout the day in more than one sitting.

well said..well said.
    03-25-10 04:01 PM
    I only have my bb and an hp mini net book, when im not in my office that is just enough for me, so yes i probably use a traditional computer less now.
    03-25-10 04:08 PM
    Since you got your BlackBerry, Do you think you use your PC less for whatever reason ? Or about the same as before you got your Blackberry ? I know I crank up the old desktop alot less if I can just Google stuff on my Blackberry and check my E-mail. What's your opinion ? I'd love to hear from you guys!
    I use my computer less. My phone is smaller, and more portable. And it's fun! Of course, there are some things I still have to use my computer for, but if I can do it on my phone, I'll usually go that route.
    03-25-10 04:11 PM
    I use my phone for a lot of stuff honestly too. I find my laptop usage less.
    Last edited by MisterObvious; 03-25-10 at 04:59 PM.
    03-25-10 04:31 PM
    I use my berry for casual surfing, email, IM. Occasionally I'll fire up the ol' netbook if I want a larger screen but usually I can't be bothered - I like having my computer in my pocket, as it were.
    03-25-10 04:46 PM
    don't really use my pc's less since getting my BB. my BB is used primarily when i'm out and about. at home i prefer a pc.
    03-25-10 06:51 PM
    Actually no, because I'm home most of the time. When I'm out I certainly use my Berry in my computer's place. It's more of a contingency plan than a replacement.
    03-25-10 07:06 PM
    I don't think any of the manufacturers see there phones as a pc replacement. It's great when away from my laptop and need to look something up, and I love everything about my phone, but it will never be a pc...too small.
    03-25-10 07:34 PM
    I use my berry for casual surfing, email, IM. Occasionally I'll fire up the ol' netbook if I want a larger screen but usually I can't be bothered - I like having my computer in my pocket, as it were.
    If you are thinking your BB is a computer you are way off the mark.
    03-25-10 07:37 PM
    I much rather use my Mac. But I do find I will email more from my blackberry than my laptop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-10 08:11 PM
    Hey, me too!
    03-25-10 09:41 PM
    I enjoy emailing more from my blackberry, its more convenient!
    03-25-10 10:36 PM
    No in fact my computer usage increased especially now since I can tether away from home.
    03-25-10 11:11 PM
    I use mine less but that is because my wife does nails by the desktop. The bb is great for surfing at work and not making a track on the network. I also like it for checking the facebook updates and twitter.
    I am more up to date on news and sports then ever before.

03-25-10 11:25 PM
    My Bold replaced my home PC, my internet connection and my dumb phone. Quite a result I thought. Although I do still spend most of my day on my office PC.

03-25-10 11:34 PM
    I am a student and during the summer, I rarely ever use my laptop. During the year its only for research and writing papers, but I've actually wrote portions of papers using Doc2Go on my BB. So, I definitely use it less

03-26-10 12:16 AM
    I find myself with on my blackberry more then my pc because I can relax in my bed surf the net watch tv and talk to my girl all @ the same time instead of sitting in front of my pc with my back turned away from everyone. The only bad thing about it is sometimes my eye be blurry a lil bit when I finally put it down but o well.......

03-26-10 07:29 AM
    I use my PC the same amount of time. I hate the small screen on my Tour so I use the PC to surf the internet as MUCH as possible
    03-26-10 11:58 AM
    If you are thinking your BB is a computer you are way off the mark.
    Computer is actually the wrong word. I use my berry like a netbook - casual surfing, email, IM, etc. If I want a more robust experience obviously I pull up the actual computer but if I'm just reading the news or forums or having a conversation with a friend via Google Talk I usually just stick to my berry.

And I like being able to take those conversations with me wherever I go.
    03-29-10 05:04 PM
    Depending on what I am looking for. If i am just browsing looking for something specific, I can use my blackberry for that one. If i am goofing around with Youtube or online games, I will use my ipod touch, mac or ps3 for that.
    03-29-10 05:26 PM
    I'd say the same, I'm with 96accord..... the screen on the tour is just too small for me to want to do any real surfing or reading.
    03-29-10 05:35 PM
    I came to getting a BB through network error and am glad. Also at that particular time there were issues with my 8 month old HP and certainly was thrilled to have BB.
    It took 3 repair sends to HP to get them to give me a new laptop. So a full month with not having a laptop, the BB was put to good use. I love my BB and use it a lot but still like my laptop as well. But I do find I use the BB more.
    03-29-10 09:12 PM
    Hmm well I do use my BB a lot more then my PC since am usually not home; or someone else it on it. Buhh, I am not always on the net. Nd I do qet on thee PC when I qet thee chance...

03-29-10 10:08 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD