02-05-10 11:02 AM
35 12
tools
    I remember when I first bought a cell phone. It was a Nokia and I used to make dozens of calls a day - maybe 1500-2000 minutes per month. I looked at my minutes usage just yesterday and I have used 194 of my 450 anytime minutes. My minutes replinish in about a week. My texting and IMing have gone way up, however. I can only conclude that because my BB keeps me connected in so many ways, that my preferred method of communication has changed to text. It makes me wonder if I only talked on the phone because I had no other options, or has the BB world forced me into a text universe. Anyone have similar thoughts?
    07-23-09 01:32 AM
    Yep, the same thing happened to me. I would much rather text or I'm someone rather than call and talk. I really hate holding the phone to my head, a bluetooth headset is an alternative but who really wears one all day long? Phone calls are great for times when texting isn't an option or if you're a business user. We have a 1400 min plan and we have used just over 300 and our plan cycle starts over on the 27. The Friends and Family really helped ease our usage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 02:19 AM
    Definately not alone on this .. My first cell phone was a nokia as well and all I used to do was call and go wayyy over my minutes, now I use around 200 of my day minutes and 600 of my evening minutes .. Texting and bbm are definately my main method of communicating, I prefer it to calling because you can think before you write something and not say something by mistake

07-23-09 04:44 AM
    Less dining on filet of sole, for certain.

Since we got one of our other daughters on Yahoo Messenger on her phone, our talk time has dropped dramatically. And our communications have gone up.

07-23-09 04:52 AM
    Hey All,
    Yep same for me actually before I got Blackberry but minutes use so far only 100 minutes , text sent 1000 ,received text 1400,.... and then using the data plan also so actual phone calls are the least I do on mine.
    07-23-09 05:47 AM
    Same. I think my next price plan I will look for options with less minutes to burn but WAY cheaper line rental...ofcourse with 'unlimited' intenet usage.

Over the years and especially since owning the BB Ive become less of a talker on the phone, and more of an emailer/texter. Ironically, my conversations are more to the point this way. Sounds really mean but I have a couple of friends who would call me up and have nothing really to say..thus wasting my time... and time is money
    07-23-09 06:17 AM
    You mean to tell me my BlackBerry can make phone calls!!!

I'm in the same boat. I hate talking on the phone. I have so many ways to communicate with my BlackBerry. I use less than 100 minutes a month.

07-23-09 06:51 AM
    Yeah me too! 3 lines 1400 minutes and we've only used about 40 minutes. I'll probably switch to a nationwide plan and do 700 minutes since its the same price.
    07-23-09 07:13 AM
    Month 1: Wife and I both have flip phones. We use about 800 minutes combined. About 400 texts combined.

Month 2: I have BB, wife has phone with slide out keyboard. We use about 500 minutes, and about 1500 texts combined.

Month 3: Wife and I both have BB. We use about 400 minutes, about 700 texts combined and our BBM numbers have gone WAY up.
    07-23-09 07:25 AM
    My wife and I both have bb's and our phone use went from using just over 900 min a month to just under 200. We don't do a lot of texting. but we bbm all day everyday. Plus a lot of our friends and family use bb's so we are lucky there.

07-23-09 09:03 AM
    Communication via email, sms and pin saves voice minutes. And with the apps that I have on my BB, talking is the last thing I do with it.
    07-23-09 09:07 AM
    Completely opposite. Texting and IMing are the very last ways I
    choose to communicate. I bought a phone for a reason.
    07-23-09 09:16 AM
    It makes me wonder if I only talked on the phone because I had no other options, or has the BB world forced me into a text universe. Anyone have similar thoughts?
    Maybe you just talked too much back then and ran out of things to say.

I don't know. I'm speechless.
    07-23-09 09:20 AM
    O yea...I hartdly ever make phone calls now....lol, I'll ignor a phone call and text/bbm the person

07-23-09 09:30 AM
    I only have 300 anytime minutes but unlimited data. With TMobile I have the fav 5 package so most of the minutes I do use talking, I am not "charged" for them because they are "free" from the fave 5. Out of the 300 anytime minutes, if I get to a hundred of them thats alot, but I dont come close to using them all. I prefer texting and emailing now, especially since I have a BB!
    07-23-09 09:39 AM
    I use BBM a lot more than I use the phone.
    Even before my BB, I wrote more email than made phone calls.
    I need to have a phone for emergencies, but for day-to-day casual communications I prefer email, BBM and text messages.
    The BB facilitates a choice of communications methods with ease because the device is capable of every means of communication that I might desire to use.
    07-23-09 09:49 AM
    Same here, this is why I went to a lower minutes plan on my BlackBerry, I email, SMS amd IM more than anything...
    07-23-09 10:45 AM
    Same here, this is why I went to a lower minutes plan on my BlackBerry, I email, SMS amd IM more than anything...
    I did, too. I dropped my minutes down to 500 because I rarely talk anymore at all and text instead. Love the full keyboard.
    07-23-09 12:02 PM
    same here.. i use BB mainly for texting n emails..
    07-25-09 12:41 AM
    same here, I use a lot more SMS's, PIN's, BBM's than actual minutes. 750 minutes on my plan and rarely ever use more than a 100
    07-25-09 03:24 AM
    I think that it has gotten a lot easier to text than to talk.
    02-04-10 12:41 PM
    Definitely the same for me, my husband and I share 550 minutes a month and before we both had smartphones we sometimes ran out of minutes. Now he has a Treo and I have a Tour, and we probably use about 100 minutes or less a month for talk. But our data usage is sky high-he watches a lot of slingbox and I text and BBM and yahoo messenger. It kills me when someone asks me to call them .....
    02-04-10 12:50 PM
    I dont talk on the phone much either anymore I used to talk way more
    02-04-10 12:50 PM
    The only person I talk to is my mother. I use email, BBM, or SMS to communicate with everyone else.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-04-10 01:39 PM
    Same here, my GF and I have a 1400 minute plan, BB on each line, and I think last month we used a combined 94 minutes. Now, mobile to mobile minutes were much higher, but that's because the people we talk to most have Verizon, and we make some calls in the evening. Our text numbers are pretty high, and our data usage is high as well, I use BBM to contact most of the people I talk to most, some e-mail, and Facebook alot. It's just the way that I choose to communicate now!
    02-04-10 01:52 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD