I don't have any android phones, but two of my son's do and I have been trying to get them to use bbm messenger

So I was wondering if anyone knows if bbm video will work on all android devices because of the priv??

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 07:13 AM
    I hope so, but I guess it's not because of BBM meetings

CB10Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    10-09-15 07:22 AM
    I think Chen is more likely to charge Xtra for it, lolz. Probably won't even be free on the priv

Might be forgetting a few.. 7280 >7290 > 8310 + 8130 + 8220 > 9000 + 8900 > 9700 + 9800 + 9100 > 9780 + 9810 + 9900 > playbook > z10 > PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-09-15 07:26 AM
    No, only Android phones with a PIN coded in.

So, only privs

___BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    10-09-15 10:31 AM
    If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that BBM Video will work only on the Android BB, BB 10, and across these two platforms. Non BB Androids will continue to only have BBM Voice. This will give incentive to Android users to get the Android BB instead of a different Android phone.

But that's just a guess.

We will know for sure soon enough.
    10-09-15 10:47 AM
    No ... why should they?

They want to force people who purchased BlackBerry handsets to pay to have adverts removed from BBM. Why would they go to considerable expense to give you free video calls?

BlackBerry at this stage are all about take and have stopped giving to their loyal customers.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    10-09-15 10:58 AM
    I don't think BBM video will work on the Priv device.

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh and david7saad like this.
    10-09-15 11:10 AM
    If they were smart it would work on all devices like all the others. But I don't think they are smart.
    david7saad likes this.
    10-09-15 11:18 AM
    Not that I aware of, priv doesn't have Bbm video call
    10-09-15 11:21 AM
    If they were smart, they'd make video calling a free feature of the Priv and any other BlackBerry phone, but charge a yearly fee for iOS, Win10, and non-bb Android handsets.

At least that's what I want.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 01:53 PM
    If they were smart, they'd make video calling a free feature of the Priv and any other BlackBerry phone, but charge a yearly fee for iOS, Win10, and non-bb Android handsets.

Posted via CB10
    Then people on other platforms will continue to use the same things that do the same thing for free.
    moegh, nah.uhh and JeepBB like this.
    10-09-15 01:59 PM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 05:57 PM
    Then people on other platforms will continue to use the same things that do the same thing for free.
    WhatsApp has a yearly fee. It's not much, but it's not a free app. The other option is Skype. And if BBM implemented an encrypted connection, then I could see it being pretty marketable/desirable.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 09:44 PM
    WhatsApp has a yearly fee.

Posted via CB10
    WhatsApp doesn't have video calling
    10-09-15 09:45 PM
    WhatsApp doesn't have video calling
    True. As for the yearly fee, it's $1.

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    10-10-15 12:06 AM

Lucky I never pay for whatsapp ever time near to expired they re new it for free lol
    10-10-15 12:55 AM

I haven't paid for whatsapp ever. Even with an expiry date it never ends up expiring at that date.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 01:47 AM
    I haven't paid for whatsapp ever. Even with an expiry date it never ends up expiring at that date.

Posted via CB10
    Yup happened to me as well
    10-10-15 02:05 AM
    10-10-15 08:08 PM
    Okay, so people use WhatsApp, a paid service, but get around they yearly dollar payment by deleting their accounts and recreating them afterward. Makes sense.

People also use Skype for free. Not a bad service, I guess.

So where does BBM fit into this? I feel it's the more secure and fully-featured platform. Easier to add friends than Skype, more honest about customer data usage than the Facebook-owned Whatsapp.

So how does BlackBerry make money with BBM? Not through stickers, I can tell you that much.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 08:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've seen variants of this post quite a bit recently, and it's built on a false premise - that users of iOS, Android & WinPhone are gagging for the opportunity to use bits of BB10, BBM, etc.

We're really not, you know?

Even if the BB Apps were to work perfectly on other platforms, there are (often free) alternatives that people are already using on those platforms, and those other Apps (whisper it now) often offer greater functionality - like video calling for example.

Still, BB could certainly charge other platforms for those BB apps. That'd show us!

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 1520
    10-11-15 06:08 AM
    Still, BB could certainly charge other platforms for those BB apps. That'd show us!

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 1520
    It's not about showing anyone anything, imo. BlackBerry just could use some extra revenue streams.

And it's also about not paying for a service by allowing yourself to be data-mined and sold to advertisers/government.

Nickel and diming the heck out of BBM (timed messages, maybe video call in the future) is annoying. A fully featured cross-platform BBM with a small yearly fee after one year (like WhatsApp) and without all the annoying "buy stickers" notifications seems like a platform that could work, imo.

Better yet, introduce end to end encryption and you could make a lot of money.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 10:00 AM
    It's not about showing anyone anything, imo. BlackBerry just could use some extra revenue streams.

And it's also about not paying for a service by allowing yourself to be data-mined and sold to advertisers/government.

Nickel and diming the heck out of BBM (timed messages, maybe video call in the future) is annoying. A fully featured cross-platform BBM with a small yearly fee after one year (like WhatsApp) and without all the annoying "buy stickers" notifications seems like a platform that could work, imo.

Better yet, introduce end to end encryption and you could make a lot of money.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, where to start...

BB also data-mines, check the TOS. They're just not as effective as Google in doing it, and have a smaller userbase, so BB don't make as much money out of it. And, that said, Android wouldn't have 80% of the market if general consumers actually cared that much about receiving targeted Ads.

And, all mobile phone companies/carriers are required to conform to the legal interception environment in all countries in which they operate. To imagine that BB (uniquely) doesn't accede to legal requests from governments is naive.

However, I'll stick to your main point. BB have tried to monetise BBM, but because of their inability to provide a feature-rich cross-platform experience (iOS and Android xBBM aren't great by accounts that I've seen), they aren't making much out of it... There are better, more popular IM apps already on iOS and Android. Which is why they are soaking their captive BB10 subscribers with all those annoying "buy stickers" notifications.

IIRC (I'm sure I read it somewhere), WhatsApp already has end-2-end encryption, and delivers that service cross platform. That said, I'm sure BB could do that too... it just takes development and time. Which is unfortunate as they've fired most of their developers, and they're running out of time.

But, I agree with you, BB need extra revenue ...hence the Priv.

Sort of off-topic, but maybe of interest... JimB wanted to make BBM cross-platform back when BB ruled the world. MikeL refused to allow BB's crown-jewels to go cross-platform and insisted that BBM only be available on BB phones. This was years before WhatsApp existed. There's an interesting "what if" alternative reality for you...
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-11-15 at 03:56 PM.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    10-11-15 03:37 PM