In an acronym - I.T.H.W.S

It's The Hard Ware Stupid!

Firstly, hello from a long time lurker, first time poster .

I just upgraded from my trusty Bold 9700 to a Torch 9810 and couldn't be happier!

It would make me very bummed if somehow this fine piece of hardware went the way of the dinosaur simply because of bad P.R. and a perceived image of inferiority to Android and iPhone devices. It's unfortunate that brand popularity means so much to the consumer these days and so many purchasing decisions are made purely on hearsay instead of direct experience..

So I signed up to throw in my top reasons why this would be a huge loss of technological advancement, and why I believe nothing will ever surpass it's functionality and utility as a superior designed piece of hardware.

I don't care what OS, or what app or what software you put in a phone, if it's poorly designed and constructed physically it means nothing. It is the hardware design and durability that matter most for day to day basic functionality..especially for professional use.

The basics are... emailing, messaging, and calling/answering the phone.

If a device can't perform these basic functions well and be reliable enough to perform them well and with quality and reliability, then nothing else matters.

Blackberry hardware superiority reason #1

Rugged durability and reliability

As I anxiously tried to get out of Best Buy with my new 8210, the salesman asked if I wanted the Best Buy extended warranty.

I asked him what that would do for me that is worth the cost.

He said well, basically, if anything happens to the phone, if you drop the phone out in the parking lot when you get into the car, we will replace it for free.

I scoffed, because my phone is so precious and I am so careful with it and I have owned blackberries for years and never had any kind of failure or problem. I declined.

As punishment for my scoffing, when I got to my office - I was juggling several items and my keys at the top of the landing, 15 feet above an asphalt parking lot, (photo #1 below) unbelievably, I dropped the phone and watched it fall in what seemed like slow motion and skid FACE DOWN!! across the asphalt face down as my heart dropped and I kicked myself for scoffing at the extended warranty.

I was sure I was screwed as I dropped everything and slowly climbed down the stairs to meet my fate.

I picked it up and turned it over prepared to see broken glass, I could not believe the screen was not only unbroken but unscratched, only the top right corner had been scuffed and barely noticeably. (photo #2 below)

Amazing, with the display still lit up, I tested everything and it was still fully functional, including the slide out keyboard. Still slid out smooth as glass. Huge sigh of relief and a thank you to the Gods that created this remarkable seriously rugged professional tool.

The first thing that came to mind was the useless discarded iPhone with a broken glass display that I and a friend had found in the bushes next to a sidewalk a few days before.... couldn't survive a four foot drop to the concrete apparently.

My only regret - I did not have the video camera running to record this!!!

Long live RIM!!!

(Soon to be followed with Blackberry hardware superiority reason #2)
    Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-06-12 at 06:36 PM.
    PedroBorgas, Chrisy and crazeee4u like this.
    07-06-12 06:17 PM
    That's pretty hardcore. I can't tell, is there a case on it as well?
    07-06-12 06:22 PM
    That's pretty hardcore. I can't tell, is there a case on it as well?
    No sir - no case at all, hadn't even had time to order one - same day of purchase and of course I just could not keep it in the box once I got to my car....

Here's a better close up.

Miraculous if you ask me - dropped right on the corner, a mechanical engineer will tell you it's the most vulnerable part to damage because of concentrated stress.
    Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-06-12 at 07:08 PM.
    07-06-12 06:27 PM
    I love and need a durable phone. I don't live in a posh bubble. I take my phone hiking, kayaking, to the beach, geocaching.

Other phones are way too fragile. My BlackBerry suits my active lifestyle.

Best phone for that is a BlackBerry. Not to mention the keyboard beats any other on the market. Screen is very crisp in sunlight!
    07-06-12 06:30 PM
    That's some height

Not moaning at other phones but I picked up a galaxy s3 last week in the shop. Its so plasticy. I thought it may be a dummy phone but wasn't cos I had a go on the touch screen. Same with the shops ipad too.

*no trolling here*

Just saying
    07-06-12 06:51 PM
    what touch screen device have you used, and for how long?
    07-06-12 08:02 PM
    what touch screen device have you used, and for how long?
    S3 for 2 mins.

I was just talking about the feel of it. Nothing else.
    07-06-12 08:05 PM
    That's some height

Not moaning at other phones but I picked up a galaxy s3 last week in the shop. Its so plasticy. I thought it may be a dummy phone but wasn't cos I had a go on the touch screen. Same with the shops ipad too.

*no trolling here*

Just saying
    Plastic is a better material as opposed to metal, or glass. Its lighter and more durable. Which is the reason many manufacturers use it, including RIM. So something feeling "plasticy" is a good thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Ynomrah; 07-06-12 at 08:12 PM.
    BoldPreza likes this.
    07-06-12 08:09 PM
    Plastic is a better material as opposed to metal, or glass. Its lighter and more durable. Which is the reason many manufacturers use it, including RIM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    I thought my post would take this route even with stressing "not moaning" & "not trolling"

I am just saying my thoughts aloud.
    07-06-12 08:15 PM
    Yeah, CrackBerry isn't the place to say good things about BlackBerry. Doesn't go over well.
    07-06-12 08:24 PM
    Your other thread should be re-opened. They are different discussions. I recently made three separate threads about what I think are important in a phone (LED, removable battery, data compression).

God forbid we should have multiple positive threads. They don't lock down the duplicate negative ones.

Bad move, mod H.
    kbz1960, lnichols, grover5 and 3 others like this.
    07-06-12 08:32 PM
    Your other thread should be re-opened. They are different discussions. I recently made three separate threads about what I think are important in a phone (LED, removable battery, data compression).

God forbid we should have multiple positive threads. They don't lock down the duplicate negative ones.

Bad move, mod H.
    Yeah. I totally agree. That was weird especially considering the negative stuff they let run rampant. Holy crap...two positive threads...what will the android users think.
    SnoozerBold and Chrisy like this.
    07-06-12 09:16 PM
    Yeah. I totally agree. That was weird especially considering the negative stuff they let run rampant. Holy crap...two positive threads...what will the android users think.
    Yep if it was the single best reason RIM is dead thread followed up by a second, third or more threads they would probably let them stand.
    07-06-12 09:30 PM
    Lucky you...last year I dropped my Tour from about waist high onto asphalt and it basically took a gash (just a really deep scuff) out of the rounded edges above the screen
    07-06-12 09:50 PM
    Wow really, the mods second guess what the topic of your threads should contain? A couple of whiners and a thread gets closed? are we only entitled one thread per customer here?

They were entirely different subjects, I broke it into two threads so the topic would not be all over the place.

Strange place, crackberry. I've heard about this. Well up to the reputation.
    Chrisy likes this.
    07-06-12 10:00 PM
    Lucky you...last year I dropped my Tour from about waist high onto asphalt and it basically took a gash (just a really deep scuff) out of the rounded edges above the screen
    But functionally it survived, eh?
    You can buy a new case and it will be good as new.

That's my plan.
    07-06-12 10:01 PM
    Ok at the mods request I am adding another subject so we can mix two topics up in here

Whatever.

ITTPS

It's The Track Pad (and real keyboard) Stupid!

Don't cheat yourself by allowing phone manufacturers to save money by giving you a piece of glass instead of a real keyboard and trackpad!

Here's why:

One hand, one thumb navigation!!!!!!
    Try that with any other glass face phone. Hint( your thumb can't cover the whole screen)

Trackpad:

Only with a trackpad are you not REQUIRED to use the touchscreen to navigate anywhere you want to go, meaning you can use one hand.

Think about it.

While the touchscreen is (was) a fun novelty, it actually requires extra work for most input functions other than scrolling.

With a touchscreen only device:

You have to be careful not to accidentally click an item when you just meant to scroll, while with a trackpad a click is differentiated from a tap by the extra positive action of pressing the pad
    You have to pinch zoom for precise cursor placement in text fields, or touching a link, with a trackpad you simply move over one space or one link.
    You HAVE to hold the device with two hands, to poke at areas of the larger screen area, with a trackpad you use the thumb of the same hand that is holding the device, and barely move your thumb.
    With a real keyboard instead of glass, you can feel positively when you are on the correct key without looking to be sure you did not miss and hit the key next to it.
    With the dedicated call, menu, escape (back) and call end keys, for these most often used functions, you will always know where they are and what they do! and you can use them all with one hand without even looking. That's gold to me.

This is why no other phone will ever ever do.

You can have your apps, just give me a reliable phone that performs the basics well. After all, it's a phone, not a Cray super computer.

And for OS10 don't let them get away with saving THEIR costs by giving up OUR physical keyboard and trackpad like they did on the Playbook!!!
    rotorwrench and JoyfulHeart35 like this.
    07-06-12 10:03 PM
    That's some height

*no trolling here*

Just saying
    Telling the truth about other phones is considered trolling in here and you have to apologize?
    wow.

Everyone seems so intimidated, where am I?
    Oh.. crackberry.
    Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-06-12 at 10:46 PM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    07-06-12 10:08 PM
    In an acronym - I.T.H.W.S

It's The Hard Ware Stupid!

Firstly, hello from a long time lurker, first time poster .

I just upgraded from my trusty Bold 9700 to a Torch 9810 and couldn't be happier!

It would make me very bummed if somehow this fine piece of hardware went the way of the dinosaur simply because of bad P.R. and a perceived image of inferiority to Android and iPhone devices. It's unfortunate that brand popularity means so much to the consumer these days and so many purchasing decisions are made purely on hearsay instead of direct experience..

So I signed up to throw in my top reasons why this would be a huge loss of technological advancement, and why I believe nothing will ever surpass it's functionality and utility as a superior designed piece of hardware.

I don't care what OS, or what app or what software you put in a phone, if it's poorly designed and constructed physically it means nothing. It is the hardware design and durability that matter most for day to day basic functionality..especially for professional use.

The basics are... emailing, messaging, and calling/answering the phone.

If a device can't perform these basic functions well and be reliable enough to perform them well and with quality and reliability, then nothing else matters.

Blackberry hardware superiority reason #1

Rugged durability and reliability

As I anxiously tried to get out of Best Buy with my new 8210, the salesman asked if I wanted the Best Buy extended warranty.

I asked him what that would do for me that is worth the cost.

He said well, basically, if anything happens to the phone, if you drop the phone out in the parking lot when you get into the car, we will replace it for free.

I scoffed, because my phone is so precious and I am so careful with it and I have owned blackberries for years and never had any kind of failure or problem. I declined.

As punishment for my scoffing, when I got to my office - I was juggling several items and my keys at the top of the landing, 15 feet above an asphalt parking lot, (photo #1 below) unbelievably, I dropped the phone and watched it fall in what seemed like slow motion and skid FACE DOWN!! across the asphalt face down as my heart dropped and I kicked myself for scoffing at the extended warranty.

I was sure I was screwed as I dropped everything and slowly climbed down the stairs to meet my fate.

I picked it up and turned it over prepared to see broken glass, I could not believe the screen was not only unbroken but unscratched, only the top right corner had been scuffed and barely noticeably. (photo #2 below)

Amazing, with the display still lit up, I tested everything and it was still fully functional, including the slide out keyboard. Still slid out smooth as glass. Huge sigh of relief and a thank you to the Gods that created this remarkable seriously rugged professional tool.

The first thing that came to mind was the useless discarded iPhone with a broken glass display that I and a friend had found in the bushes next to a sidewalk a few days before.... couldn't survive a four foot drop to the concrete apparently.

My only regret - I did not have the video camera running to record this!!!

Long live RIM!!!

(Soon to be followed with Blackberry hardware superiority reason #2)
    My Droid would have been destroyed from that. That's why I had to get an Otterbox defender, that big glass screen can't handle that.
    07-06-12 10:21 PM
    Telling the truth about other phones is considered trolling in here and you have to apologize?
    wow.

Everyone seems so intimidated, where am I?
    Nope you sure don't. I sure as heII never do. I personally have no problem with calling the Android OS a virus infested piece of $hit and the Iphone a mediocre crappy phone glued to an Ipod. But thats just me.
    Pete6 and SK122387 like this.
    07-06-12 10:34 PM
    My Droid would have been destroyed from that. That's why I had to get an Otterbox defender, that big glass screen can't handle that.
    My 9900 has had many falls without issue, but in all fairness I have a casemate tough case on it. I want to get a case for my girlfriends SG2...it is a beautiful phone I think but I worry about the screen.
    07-06-12 10:35 PM
    If be lying if I don't say I do baby my EVO quite a bit more because of the screen.

My old BB did survive a few drops splendidly.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    07-06-12 10:42 PM
    I'd cry like a baby if I dropped my 9930. But I'm like that about all things I care about and enjoy.
    07-06-12 10:43 PM
    Try saying all these things for an Iphone.

One drop, splat, the Iphone looks like a piece of a cafeteria's glass window after being broken during a drive thru shooting...
    07-07-12 01:14 AM
    i for one enjoy the blackberry's durability as well as standards as it relates to the quality of the models, i only wish we had more developers for some of the cool gimmicky apps that i-OS and Android have

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
    07-07-12 01:46 AM
108 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD