I have dropped my 9810 on my tile floor, from a few feet up. It emerged unscathed. Then last weekend I dropped my 9900 on the floor of a bar. It bounced and slid a few feet. I was bracing myself for a scuffed bezel and scratched screen. NO PHYSICAL DAMAGE! I was so happy. I have yet to break a BlackBerry, and I've had many.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-07-12 02:31 PM
    I do recommend the BB insurance; it's cheap and hassle free should you need a device replacement.

I'm pretty careful about my phones. I don't use cases or screen protectors. But, occassionally, a drop happens. I've had all touch screens that shattered from a 3 inch drop and touch screens that survived a 6 foot drop. I've had a BB screen shatter from a foot drop and a BB screen be perfectly fine from a drop off the roof of my car. What I like about having the BB insurace is even though I'm still careful, I know that if I break the phone into a million pieces, they'll replace it without some stupidly high deductible like carriers like to charge. For me, piece of mind is awesome because I don't use cases or protectors. I don't use my old phones as trade ins. I've kept every phone I've owned...I still have my motorazr in a drawer.
    07-07-12 02:33 PM
    I am not getting at you and, we all love our BlackBerrys, that's for sure.

Keep posting good stuff and we are right there with you.
    thanks,
    As a former mod could you shed some light/pass judgement on the decision to close this thread?

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ualled-734014/

It was an entirely different subject than this one and I didn't want to mix subjects for a confusing discussion...
    I'm still interested in that discussion, more so than this one.

I don't get it and as a newbie I want to play by the rules.

Awesome story OP, I have a 9800 and it has been dropped so many times (and once even thrown during a heated argument with the husband, the phone put a huge dent in the wall) and thankfully the only problems with my phone is a slightly loose slider. During work I got so tired of looking at the scratches on my slider that I took a piece of sanding paper to it. Now the piece is bright silver and the rest of my phone is red! I like it, lol

Wow a passionate woman - sandpaper love it! lol

I've dropped my iphone caseless onto cement floor about 4 times, and it's pristine.

Any phone will break if you drop it right. Any phone. Period.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    You're obviously not dropping your iphone right. You actually managed to drop it "wrong" four times? What are the chances. Could you give it another try and video tape it to show us how rugged it is? I'm having trouble with that story, from the shattered glass I have seen on iphones and some droids.

Vested interests? That's a funny way to put it. I have no idea what goes on it the human mind that causes people to care what badge they put on a phone, vehicle, or sports team. How, exactly, does one become emotionally attached at ANY level to a cell phone? That's like falling in love with a prostitute.
    How about a stripper? Boy do I have a non-fiction movie for you!

Blaze (1989) - Plot Summary

I dropped my 9930 while running last night.
    Soon as I trailed off the sidewalk I lost grip & it hit the curb face down.
    Screen shattered, & it won't turn on. I'm pissed.

Debating if I wanna pay the $100 deductible for a replacement or go back to my iPhone
    for the time being.

FML. Glad your phone was okay! I'm confused as heck as to how mine broke just like that
    & it wasn't a long fall ah well.
    Wow sorry to hear that, you must have dropped it right. face against the edge of the curb maybe?

I guess a lot of people are worried about resale value or just don't like anything less than a perfect looking device.

When I bought my first new car I was always so upset seeing a new scratch etc anywhere. Well after awhile I came to the conclusion it's going to happen, always has and always will. I've decided I don't want to or need to worry about such little things as long as it doesn't effect the function. A few scratches just make mine unique
    Reminds me of my pro photographer days.. you could always tell a true pro from merely an equipment enthusiast - one had scratches and dents on everything from the lack of time and stress required for getting the job done, the other had pristine equipment that looked brand new after years of "use". The equipment enthusiasts never got the shots but sure had nice equipment....
    Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-07-12 at 03:40 PM.
    07-07-12 03:38 PM
    Wow, how can anybody answer your last post. It is all over the place. Please stick to one quote on one subject. That way you might get an answer.

I looked over you last thread and I can see why it would have gotten closed by an overworked mod. Mods here are not paid. There are about 15-20 now, I think. We also have 3million+ members who post what they like. CrackBerry is a family show and we get under 18s in here so the language has to be watched.

Right now my guess and it is a guess is that the mods are sensitive to controversial posts. Controversy, like beauty is most definitely in the mind of the beholder.

If you want a final and absolute reason, you will have to ask the mod who closed the thread.

I was on the verge of closing this one because I thought it was getting out of hand. The title alone was just asking for trouble and COMPLETELY inaccurate. Quite obviously a Blackberry will one day be bettered. Saying that it cannot be bettered is like saying that the hot air baloon will forever be the pinnacle of air travel.

Happily a couple of our more responsible element came by, I made a couple of calming down posts and one member got banned for a week. That was just one day on Crackberry.
    07-07-12 04:02 PM
    I like having a case on mine. it makes it tougher for drops and slightly easier to grip when using it. I do love the look of it naked but I only take the case off once a month or so, mainly because my case mate tough case is a pain to remove. I love the look of the case and the durability but I have to admit I do leave it off for awhile when I do remove it due to how striking the phone is naked. Do y'all bother to use a screen protector? I'm thinking of getting rid of mine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-07-12 04:27 PM
    I like having a case on mine. it makes it tougher for drops and slightly easier to grip when using it. I do love the look of it naked but I only take the case off once a month or so, mainly because my case mate tough case is a pain to remove. I love the look of the case and the durability but I have to admit I do leave it off for awhile when I do remove it due to how striking the phone is naked. Do y'all bother to use a screen protector? I'm thinking of getting rid of mine.

I don't use a screen protector either. I'm not worried about selling it when I get something else, it will become a backup. I might give my tour to someone if anyone wanted it, my current backup.

I guess I buy my things to use and don't care to baby them. I do use a pocket pouch, nothing wrong with my plastic screen or much anywhere else. I did drop it once while it was in the pouch and it has a small scar on the one upper corner.

But it's off topic, kind of. To get on topic............. equaled, surpassed or what have you for now I still like my bb and pb.
    07-07-12 04:38 PM
    That's some height

Not moaning at other phones but I picked up a galaxy s3 last week in the shop. Its so plasticy. I thought it may be a dummy phone but wasn't cos I had a go on the touch screen. Same with the shops ipad too.

*no trolling here*

Just saying
    I'm sorry but if you're actually saying the glass-and-aluminium iPad was 'plasticky'....that's trolling.

other than that, I agree the Blackberry hardware is pretty rugged...reminds me of how Nokia used to be in the past.
    Last edited by texazzpete; 07-07-12 at 04:51 PM.
    07-07-12 04:43 PM

I use the supplied pouch for mine it does all the rest in the way of protection and it has the magnet in it that puts the BlackBerry to sleep thus saving battery life. All round a good idea.
    07-07-12 04:48 PM
    Do you not like your car, flat screen TV, digital camera, phone? Of course you do. You paid hard earned (I mispelt that last time) cash for those things. If someone starts slagging them off in front of you you will ultimately get fed up and probably just walk away BUT your feelings will have been hurt. Look into yourslef and work out why.

What has happened is that your ability to make good product judgement has been called into question. Right or wrong, that hurts. Face to face is one thing but on a public forum like Crackberry one can say a lot more than they are likely to when facing someone. Also having said what they want on;ine they can then begin to feel better inside.

I am sure this is correct because I have experienced it myself and have watched it any number of time right herer on Crackberry.

You either agree with what I just said or you do not. It is up to you. However I believe it. That's all I have to say.
    I'm fine with my vehicles, but is has nothing to do with how they are labeled. That whole "I'm a <brand X> guy" thing is just too stupid for words. You have a MBZ logo for an avatar. I have an MBZ myself. It's been just fine, but the latest generation of that particular vehicle are garbage. Over complicated junk. Don't take my word for it, ask any seasoned MBZ mechanic or aficionado. Their new stuff is just horrible. Does that make you feel bad? It's a freakin car not your daughter! My TV's looks fine to me, but it stops right there. I don't have any ego attachment to them. You want to bag on them, go ahead. I don't read forums to find out what the "experts" tell me I like, I go to the store and look at the picture quality. To me, any other approach is madness. My 9900 get it done, usually. It would be nice if it did a credible job of web browsing, but it's good enough most days. If some clown with an iPhone starts telling me the BB sucks, I can point to things it can do that an iPhone can't and that usually settles it. It's not as if someone who would stoop so low as to get in a d*ck bumping contest over a piece of hardware is going to be a worthy intellectual opponent in the first place. Besides, the entire exercise is silly. By the time one is hitting the period at the end of a technology review, the object of the discussion is no longer current.
    Last edited by palomartian; 07-07-12 at 04:52 PM.
    07-07-12 04:49 PM
    I'm sorry but if you're actually saying the glass-and-aluminium iPad was 'plasticky'....that's trolling.
    Not really, it's just his opinion. Trolling would be "All Android phones are.... <insert your noun/adjective/description here>." He also offered the caveat that maybe he was fondling a store dummy phone.
    07-07-12 04:50 PM
    Wow, how can anybody answer your last post. It is all over the place. Please stick to one quote on one subject. That way you might get an answer.

I looked over you last thread and I can see why it would have gotten closed by an overworked mod. Mods here are not paid. There are about 15-20 now, I think. We also have 3million+ members who post what they like. CrackBerry is a family show and we get under 18s in here so the language has to be watched.

Right now my guess and it is a guess is that the mods are sensitive to controversial posts. Controversy, like beauty is most definitely in the mind of the beholder.

If you want a final and absolute reason, you will have to ask the mod who closed the thread.

I was on the verge of closing this one because I thought it was getting out of hand. The title alone was just asking for trouble and COMPLETELY inaccurate. Quite obviously a Blackberry will one day be bettered. Saying that it cannot be bettered is like saying that the hot air baloon will forever be the pinnacle of air travel.

Happily a couple of our more responsible element came by, I made a couple of calming down posts and one member got banned for a week. That was just one day on Crackberry.
    so... someone's opinion that a blackberry will never be equaled because of superior hardware durability or ergonomic design is considered controversial in a blackberry fan site and people get upset. I'm starting to understand, I guess

What is this forum for if not to discuss and agree and disagree?
    Strange place. I'm used to NRBB and other forums where people freely share ideas and experiences, opinions, accurate or not, hyperbole or whatever. Maybe I will just tiptoe back out of here....wouldn't want to offend anyone or get them upset...almost seems like the mods are the ones who are upset though, not the participants...

When people start hurling insults, perhaps it's time to draw the line, (maybe I missed those) but posting something that someone might disagree with? Wow may as well not have a forum.

Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-07-12 at 04:57 PM.
    07-07-12 04:52 PM

other than that, I agree the Blackberry hardware is pretty rugged...reminds me of how Nokia used to be in the past.
    You have to put an iPhone in a plastic case or it will drop your call. Maybe that's what he meant.
    07-07-12 04:56 PM
    I'm fine with my vehicles, but is has nothing to do with how they are labeled. That whole "I'm a <brand X> guy" thing is just too stupid for words. You have a MBZ logo for an avatar. I have an MBZ myself. It's been just fine, but the latest generation of that particular vehicle are garbage. Over complicated junk. Don't take my word for it, ask any seasoned MBZ mechanic or aficionado. Their new stuff is just horrible. Does that make you feel bad? It's a freakin car not your daughter! My TV's looks fine to me, but it stops right there. I don't have any ego attachment to them. You want to bag on them, go ahead. I don't read forums to find out what the "experts" tell me I like, I go to the store and look at the picture quality. To me, any other approach is madness. My 9900 get it done, usually. It would be nice if it did a credible job of web browsing, but it's good enough most days. If some clown with an iPhone starts telling me the BB sucks, I can point to things it can do that an iPhone can't and that usually settles it. It's not as if someone who would stoop so low as to get in a bumping contest over a piece of hardware is going to be a worthy intellectual opponent in the first place. Besides, the entire exercise is silly. By the time one is hitting the period at the end of a technology review, the object of the discussion is no longer current.
    You have it exactly.

I have a Mercedes-Benz logo currently because like most people I change it from time to time. I'll change it when I feel the need. I have driven Mercs for some time. I have a new one and an old one and they are both superb vehicles. I am very happy with both cars. My opinion differs slightly from yours and neither of us care.

Likewise my 9810 does exactly what I need it to do. If it did not, I would not use it.

The trouble is, many people get very uptight if you dare to criticise their choices and that is where part of the problem comes from here. I could care less. Apparently nor could you.
    07-07-12 04:59 PM
    My 9630 fell down the roof of my house about 6 months ago....glass and bezel were broken...I got the replacement parts real cheap but I just lost interest on the phone...

Maybe I should put it back together to see if still works...

ah! what the !! I have nothing to do...I'll do it....

will post a pic when it's done.....
    I would like to see this
    07-07-12 05:13 PM
    You have to put an iPhone in a plastic case or it will drop your call. Maybe that's what he meant.
    Not really, it's just his opinion. Trolling would be "All Android phones are.... <insert your noun/adjective/description here>." He also offered the caveat that maybe he was fondling a store dummy phone.
    Nah, he was talking about the iPad here, not the iPhone.
    Yeah, everyone's entitled to their own opinion but a device made of glass and aluminium is never going to feel 'plasticky' to anyone with proper nerve endings.

Perhaps he was touching the store dummies, then....but I kinda doubt it. Every store I've ever seen selling iPads usually have the real thing on display. And I doubt anyone would put a display unit in a case.

I don't wanna go derailing the topic or anything, just pointing out something that just does not ring true.
    07-07-12 05:16 PM
    Here you go. OK the pic did come with the quote. Post #57 page 4

Price of parts $10.00 bucks. They're used but in nice condition. Glass, bezel and I forgot that I got the keyb membrane and the trackball so I replaced them as well.

well here's the results...

I made a couple of calls...text..email..tweet...internet ..etc..

flawless...

I am like
    I would like to see this
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-07-12 at 05:26 PM.
    07-07-12 05:23 PM
    No, you don't. I use mine naked all the time.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    07-07-12 06:31 PM
    No, you don't. I use mine naked all the time.

And no dropped calls?

do you hold your phone? or Bluetooth it?

in the past month I have dropped between 7 and 11 calls on the iPhone4S on the Rogers network while in the Mississauga/Hamilton/Vaughn region which is a very strong 3G/LTE area.

with my BlackBerry's in far worse signal areas I'd say less than 10 per year dropped calls.

in my car I also find I need to put the iPhone on my passenger seat when connected to the incar system because it has issues staying connected to both cellular and BT while in the cup holder.
    I wont put a rubber bumper I just have the clear plastic on the front and back of the device.
    07-07-12 06:36 PM
    And no dropped calls?

in the past month I have dropped between 7 and 11 calls on the iPhone4S on the Rogers network while in the Mississauga/Hamilton/Vaughn region which is a very strong 3G/LTE area.

with my BlackBerry's in far worse signal areas I'd say less than 10 per year dropped calls.

in my car I also find I need to put the iPhone on my passenger seat when connected to the incar system because it has issues staying connected to both cellular and BT while in the cup holder.
    I wont put a rubber bumper I just have the clear plastic on the front and back of the device.
    It is an issue for iPhone in my opinion. One of my sisters on AT&T and one of my brothers on Verizon both complain about dropped calls on their iPhone 4 and 4s. When I talk to them it is always an issue.
    07-07-12 06:41 PM
    It is an issue for iPhone in my opinion. One of my sisters on AT&T and one of my brothers on Verizon both complain about dropped calls on their iPhone 4 and 4s. When I talk to them it is always an issue.
    I can honestly say I didn't believe the hype when peopled talked about it. I thought it was people just looking to find flaws in the iPhone and picking at the littlest of things, and blowing them out of proportion, but now as an owner, I am truly amazed,

that said dropped calls aren't a big issue for a lot of users, I've met a woman recently who has NEVER made a call on her iPhone4 she's had it for almost a year.
    Djlatino likes this.
    07-07-12 06:45 PM
    I can honestly say I didn't believe the hype when peopled talked about it. I thought it was people just looking to find flaws in the iPhone and picking at the littlest of things, and blowing them out of proportion, but now as an owner, I am truly amazed,

that said dropped calls aren't a big issue for a lot of users, I've met a woman recently who has NEVER made a call on her iPhone4 she's had it for almost a year.
    I agree on both counts. I would have assumed it was hype as well but on some calls with my sister you literally only heard every third word. We all used to joke about how well we had become at understanding her short hand conversation. But usually the call would just drop. Like you said though, some people never use the call function on their ipod...er iPhone I mean...just a joke iPhone folks,nothing more.
    07-07-12 06:52 PM
    And no dropped calls?

Haven't dropped a call in the year plus I've used it and I don't even own a blue tooth. Never been a problem for me. Now I'm on bell, the only people in my circle of friends that consistently do drop calls regardless of phone are the Rogers folks. Maybe network has something to do with it?

07-07-12 07:43 PM
    And no dropped calls?

Is it possibly Rogers? The building I work in, Rogers is full bars outside the building, but inside its like a lead wall. Nothing on a Rogers phone. Doesn't matter if you have BlackBerry, Android, iPhone, they all drop. Its why I had to switch to Bell. Rogers network just isn't the best out there.

Though I will say my father says he has the same issue as you with his new work issued iPhone on Rogers, no issues with the old BlackBerries.
    reeneebob likes this.
    07-07-12 07:52 PM

I owned a iPhone 3GS for 2 years before switching to a 9900 and the only scratches I had were on the back. And I never bought a case for it. It was mostly because it took me 4 months of hard work to finally get a full $700 in cash to get the so called "phone". People just need to start to realize how precious their things are, then maybe they can take care of it.

Now with a 9900, I really don't care anymore. I paid the full amount but the thing is a beast regardless of it size. I laugh at my friends when I'm in a subway tunnel and their wimpy iThings and droids are with no connection whatsoever.
    07-07-12 08:18 PM
    Is it possibly Rogers? The building I work in, Rogers is full bars outside the building, but inside its like a lead wall. Nothing on a Rogers phone. Doesn't matter if you have BlackBerry, Android, iPhone, they all drop. Its why I had to switch to Bell. Rogers network just isn't the best out there.

Though I will say my father says he has the same issue as you with his new work issued iPhone on Rogers, no issues with the old BlackBerries.
    BlackBerry's are also Rogers which is why I don't blame Rogers.

I run a 9790 and a iPhone4S side by side always, as well as an LTE iPad 3, when I lose a signal I am always looking at the other deivces which have bars,
    07-07-12 09:02 PM
108 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD