I currently have a blackberry curve with a Telus data plan. I am moving to Mexico from Canada for 6 months for work and was wondering what my options are for my phone and having a phone while I am in Mexico?
    Can I take my blackberry with me and buy a new sim card? Or would it be best to get a phone while I am there? I do not need it for internet, emails, etc. just text messaging and local calls in Mexico. Any advice?? I leave in 2 weeks so any help would be wonderful!
    07-26-11 10:46 AM
    I currently have a blackberry curve with a Telus data plan. I am moving to Mexico from Canada for 6 months for work and was wondering what my options are for my phone and having a phone while I am in Mexico?
    Can I take my blackberry with me and buy a new sim card? Or would it be best to get a phone while I am there? I do not need it for internet, emails, etc. just text messaging and local calls in Mexico. Any advice?? I leave in 2 weeks so any help would be wonderful!
    Hello...
    Listen, the solutions to what you ask is pretty simple - Blackberry unlocking.
    You can make your device unlocked using a MEP 2 Network Unlock code for your Blackberry.
    On general you can read more information about what is Blackberry unlocking here: What is Blackberry unlocking?

And also there are services can be also found on the unlocking forum on CrackBerry.

You can unlock your Blackberry Curve if it has a SIM-Slot and buy there in mexico a SIM card from one of the local GSM carriers in mexico..

You can get what ever you would like ... just unlock your blackberry first... then get a Data plan on contract, ask for an servuce book update to be sent to your device by the carrier to make it work with BIS for using BBM and MMS... by regular calls / text will work also with a regular PRE-Paid sim card on unlocked Blackberry device.
    07-26-11 12:54 PM
    Once you're unlocked, hook up any prepaid service and you'll be good to go,
    07-26-11 03:18 PM
    Telus is a CDMA carrier. Curve 8330 and 8530 do not support SIM cards.

It can not be used where only GSM carriers are available.

One option you might consider it picking up a gently used 8300/8310/8320 which can be unlocked for use in International destinations.
    07-26-11 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD