Am I missing something?
    I will explain.
    My BB Passport was stolen (or i lost it and it was "found"). It was password locked. I was away and, after a few days, I finally managed to get to a computer. I made use of BlackBerry Blackberry Protect for the first time ever. Great! I can track its location if they turn on location services! Ooh, i can send them a message on the phone screen. Brilliant! wow, I can change the phone password to something much more complicated. Done!
    Each of these actions required the phone to connect to the internet to be finalised.
    Oh look! I can register the phone as stolen while wiping its data! I better do that!! Right?

SO I did it. Registering it as stolen disables all the other functionality of Blackberry Protect. I can no longer update messages onto the phone screen, I cant suddenly decide to create an even more complicated password. Worst of all, I no longer have the possibility to track the phone if the new "owner" turns on Location Services...... WTF. The time I need to do these things is, you know, when my phone is stolen. So why, when I flag it as stolen, can I no longer do these things?

Blackberry locked me out of my own device. Now to log into the phone the person has to work out my much less complicated BB ID password instead of the newly created and very complicated device password. it seems idiotic.
    01-07-16 09:52 PM
    You shouldn't worry about your password, there's only so many tries before it's locked out. The stolen option is a last resort. There's documents at the site that explains what options do what exactly. The phone is now listed as stolen and will never be able to be activated again until it's returned to you.

Also, I believe if one enters a BBID, then an email address is also needed
    Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 10:54 PM
    The phone is infinitely less likely to be returned to me if I cant track its location or leave messages on its screen....
    01-08-16 07:16 AM
    My passport was taken away by the police cause I'd been naughty, so I tried to wipe it, change the password and eventually chose the stolen option.

My phone was returned to me 13 weeks later in the exact same state it left me. Same password, not wiped and definitely not listed as stolen. I only had to input my original password to unlock it. Seems like BlackBerry Protect doesn't work.

Anyone tried to wipe it via the website and been successful?

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2813
    01-08-16 01:20 PM
    Yeah, the site states that it will wipe your data and make it unusable.

I think some people here fail to understand just the reasoning.

Blackberry, has typically been for people who can easily afford a new phone, but cannot afford to lose the data on their phone.

That's why there is a security wipe, that's why it wipes after 10 missed password attempts, and that's why blackberry protect wipes the phone.

Physically, you can go out and get another device. And you should be doing regular backups anyway.

Blackberry is aimed at people who's information is worth far more than any phone could be.

That's why it works this way.

You might never get your phone back. (Honestly if it's locked it's most likely been stripped for parts already.) But you can sleep at night knowing none of the info that was on it will be seen by anyone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-08-16 04:07 PM
    The phone is infinitely less likely to be returned to me if I cant track its location or leave messages on its screen....
    You have nobody to blame for the situation except yourself. You should have read and understood the implications of reporting the smartphone stolen.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    01-09-16 12:59 AM
    I'm discussing the idiocy of blocking a person from access to their stolen phone, not my own stupidity/lack there of.
    My question was "Am I missing something?" Can anyone provide a reason why BB would deem it a good idea to take functionality out of BB Protect at the very time it is actually needed?
    01-09-16 02:16 AM
    I'm discussing the idiocy of blocking a person from access to their stolen phone, not my own stupidity/lack there of.
    My question was "Am I missing something?" Can anyone provide a reason why BB would deem it a good idea to take functionality out of BB Protect at the very time it is actually needed?
    Like I said above. Blackberry's aim isn't to save your device. It's to save your data.

It's made for people who can just buy a new device, but the data on it is infinitely more valuable.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-09-16 06:31 AM
    My passport was taken away by the police cause I'd been naughty, so I tried to wipe it, change the password and eventually chose the stolen option.

My phone was returned to me 13 weeks later in the exact same state it left me. Same password, not wiped and definitely not listed as stolen. I only had to input my original password to unlock it. Seems like BlackBerry Protect doesn't work.

If it was in police possession, chances are it was powered off. Take the memory card out, pull the info from the Sim card...they won't waste their time trying to crack a lockscreen password.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    01-09-16 10:14 AM
    I had my BlackBerry stolen at a Starbucks once. I immediately performed a security wipe via BES10, bought another phone, and restored all my data and settings on the new phone. Within two hours I honestly couldn't tell that the phone I was using wasn't the phone with which I had started the day.

I don't know what became of my old phone, and I don't care.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 10:57 AM

It works, I have done it on a Z30 and the moment that phone gets any sort of connection even edge and receives command from BlackBerry servers that's it. Wipes everything clean.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 11:10 AM
    I had my BlackBerry stolen at a Starbucks once. I immediately performed a security wipe via BES10, bought another phone, and restored all my data and settings on the new phone. Within two hours I honestly couldn't tell that the phone I was using wasn't the phone with which I had started the day.

I don't know what became of my old phone, and I don't care.

Posted via CB10
    Took me an entire year to save to buy my priv. I'm just that short on money. I'd be devastated if my phone was stolen.

The times I've used blackberry protect it worked flawlessly. Once on os7.1 and once on bb10.
    01-09-16 12:18 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1055829

I had the exact opposite experience when my wife lost her phone recently. I used protect to message the person that picked it up and convince them to return it to a customer service desk.

Passport. It's not as big as you think it is.
    01-09-16 02:45 PM
    Took me an entire year to save to buy my priv. I'm just that short on money. I'd be devastated if my phone was stolen.

The times I've used blackberry protect it worked flawlessly. Once on os7.1 and once on bb10.
    For me, phones are a business tool. I insure them and pay the deductible if something happens to them. I don't like spending more money, but it's the data and lost productivity that's really valuable. Blackberry's performance in protecting those has been flawless.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 03:16 PM