Apologies if this is posted elsewhere in one succinct thread - I ran a couple searches but didn't find this info. First, a bit of background. A few days back, my fiance and I picked up a couple of new TMob BB Bold 9700's. They've got all SORTS of crazy connectivity over my previous Pearl 8100. Much of which I simply don't get. For fun, I was gonna post my general thoughts on the different connections here, and then be taken to school by those more knowledgeable here on the reality of what they all mean.

WiFi - Possibly the fastest connection of all? I think it comes gold plated standard, and has heated seats.

UMA - No idea, but I think it has something to do with government/alien mind control waves. Or perhaps talk radio. Either way...SIGN ME UP!

3G - Third Generation. Of what? Star Trek or somethin'? I get that it's supposed to be "fast", but fast relative to what? Can it do warp 9 and not blow out a reactor core? THAT'S what I'm talkin about!

eEDGE - I've only heard rumor of this connection...at least I haven't seen an icon stating I was connected as such on my phone yet. Probably like the Jackalope and Snipe: you never really see one, but you know it'd be cool if you did!

EDGE - This is the one I've been used to for years. It's fast-ish. Only fair with data speeds, though rarely dropped a call. They also charged me extra for the cup holders.

edge - The baby brother to EDGE. Kinda whiny and with a runny nose. Pretty sketchy coverage and rather slooooow.

GPRS - The redheadded stepchild of edge. Not worth a toss, and no data connectivity at all. I think this one comes with two tin cans and a bit of string.

So - there you have it. The extent of my vast knowledge of cellular phone network structures. Impressive I know...

So any of yous care to educate me proper like? Do any of these eat less battery for greater connectivity perhaps? Greater data speeds? Better call connectivity? Do any of them come with a free lap dance, or is that just after you get your first bill from Verizon or AT&T?

Thanks guys!

Bri~
    05-20-10 07:21 PM
    Wi-Fi just drains battery faster but connects to your local network instead of the cell provider. 3G is just high speed cell phone Internet, and EDGE/edge are slower. The upper and lower case is just if you connect to the BB servers in Canada or not. Also there are 1x, D, and EVDO rev. 0 and A. 1x is CDMA's EDGE, and EVDO is 3G, while rev. A is faster.
    05-20-10 08:43 PM
    WiFi battery drain = BAD. Crazy fast WiFi speed = GOOD! I can probably live with that.

I have had the phone set to WiFi both here at work, and then again at home for the past day now, and haven't noticed any appreciable drop in batt life so far. Perhaps ever so slightly. However, I also just upgraded the OS on my Bold with TMob's latest offering. There seems to be a general consensus that the new OS *may* suck a little more power than the previous. So hard to say if the tiny loss in efficiency I *might* be noticing is due to OS or WiFi.

I also just caught a new commercial for Sprint as well. Seems they're touting the latest tech as "4G". Although, apart from turning your world black and white, with some very random and annoying splashes of insanely bright yellow...does anyone here now if it really is the bee's knees? At least it's the right color! :P

Have a great one folks!

Bri~
    05-21-10 02:58 PM
    Wi-Fi just drains battery faster
    How did you come up with this?
    05-21-10 03:00 PM
    How did you come up with this?
    I'm glad you asked. My old phone, a HTC Touch Diamond, came with Wi-Fi capabilities and the two previous HTC phones, the 6700 and the 6800, that I owned did. Let's just say streaming Pandora over Alltel's 3G (R.I.P.) lasted longer.
    05-21-10 04:46 PM
    OK - so after some observation over the past several days - I can see no discernable difference in batt life now over WiFi than I did on the standard 3G network. At least not on my TMob 9700. Can't speak for any other carriers or phones however. Interesting.

And the best part about WiFi is that my life does NOT change to black and white NOR does it introduce any annoying monochromatic highlights!
    05-24-10 10:29 AM
    wifi is someones router giving internet within a small distance (usually in & around someones house). the owner of said router may have set it up so that you can only connect to it if you know the password. it may also be a hidden network, where it's name isn't broadcast (SSID), so you'd need to know the name of it first & enter it for the phone to find it.

other wifi networks allow you to connect freely, but you only get as far as a login page where you login (obviously ) probably a service which you have to pay / subscribe for, usually operated by mobile phone companies in places like starbucks... free in the US i think, but not in the UK. however, some places still offer free wifi, like pubs etc...

basically using wifi is connecting to someone elses modem / router (if they let you).

or your OWN wifi router
    Last edited by nvkid909; 05-24-10 at 01:53 PM.
    05-24-10 01:51 PM
    wifi is someones router giving internet within a small distance (usually in & around someones house). the owner of said router may have set it up so that you can only connect to it if you know the password. it may also be a hidden network, where it's name isn't broadcast (SSID), so you'd need to know the name of it first & enter it for the phone to find it.

other wifi networks allow you to connect freely, but you only get as far as a login page where you login (obviously ) probably a service which you have to pay / subscribe for, usually operated by mobile phone companies in places like starbucks... free in the US i think, but not in the UK. however, some places still offer free wifi, like pubs etc...

basically using wifi is connecting to someone elses modem / router (if they let you).

or your OWN wifi router
    Wi-Fi is just a name associated with wireless devices, that's it. It applies to routers, phones, computers, computer chips, etc. It has no technical meaning, it is simply a trademark name.

Networks are a different beast, and they can be about anything. However routers are only a piece of the network and serve only to extend the range of valid IP addresses and break networks into logical segments. Although these days routers can perform other tasks, those are just extras.
    05-24-10 02:56 PM
    yas i was [trying to] explain it in laymans terms as maybe i was guessing the OP was thinking wifi was another cellular signal transitted in a similar way to gprs / gsm / 3g / edge / hsdpa whatever. apologies if not.

i'm usually the one at work telling people to turn their wifi off because their is none there; or to turn off their bluetooth because they are not using it. i'm no expert but it amuses me how many people have new phones & have these things on without even knowing what they are for. not saying this is the OP though!
    05-24-10 03:09 PM
    I understand some of the basic rudimentary stuff relating to the different signal types - what I wasn't certain of whas the associated speed gains (or losses) associated with each, their possible batt. drain, and if there were any special magical powers that each had. As I mentioned above, so far, for me, on my 9700 through TMob, I'm seeing the fastest speeds by an absolute landslide via WiFi. 3G doesn't even come close. If it's truly a "broadband" cell service, I hope that the new 4th gen that is currently being hawked on the TV and radio airwaves can compete...even a little.
    05-25-10 02:40 PM
    I don't know if I really believe Wifi drains battery faster. Maybe if you are connected to a weak or slow signal. I have yet to experience any added battery drain on either my Bold or Storm 2 being connected to a strong Wifi signal. In my head, it seems like using a strong, fast Wifi connection would actually improve battery life. You would get the data faster thus using the radio less. I really don't know anything about it, just my thoughts and observations.
    05-25-10 06:10 PM
    That stands to reason Black - and was my thinking as well. It seems to make logical sense...but then again, what in the world of mobile electronic devices ever really makes logical sense??
    05-25-10 06:47 PM
    EDGE - This is the one I've been used to for years. It's fast-ish. Only fair with data speeds, though rarely dropped a call. They also charged me extra for the cup holders.

edge - The baby brother to EDGE. Kinda whiny and with a runny nose. Pretty sketchy coverage and rather slooooow.
    I thought that these two are exactly the same except that "EDGE" is with a data plan (BIS with a Blackberry, regular data to carrier servers for everyone else) and "edge" is not. Coverage is the same no matter which one you get because it's the same voice network.
    05-26-10 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD