What is it about blackberry that always makes it fall behind when it comes to the app world? I was hanging out with a bunch of friends and they were talking about the new Vine app. So I looked into my app world and it's not there of course! I feel like we really slack in getting developers to share the goods with us. I feel like we're not convincing them enough.

Trust me, when it was time to upgrade my phone, the hype was all s3s and iphone 5s, but I said z10, so I fully trust and support. There was a time when our os was far from competitive, now we're catching up! But I still feel our apps are far from competitive. We lack major apps, specially the ones that create instant social hypes and bandwagons for people to hop on.

Question is, when a new popular app shows up on the market, why do we always read " available in the app store and Google play" only? Why can't we see bb world too as on of the dominating app worlds? Why do we always have to look for alternatives by side loading, porting..etc?

Posted using Z10 via CB10 on the Fido network, Toronto.
    Pmungus, Xenrip and ErnestoBB like this.
    06-15-13 02:01 AM
    Chicken and egg problem. Developers don't want to build for BlackBerry because of several reasons.

1) They have in the past and it was previously difficult (BBOS devices)
    2) Not enough market share
    3) People are unaware of how well BB10 performs
    4) People think BB won't be around, no point in wasting resources on apps that won't be around.

I could go on but this topic has kind of been beaten to death. Key take away: If you want apps, go to the people who make them and kindly demand them. Hit them up on Twitter, Hit them up on Facebook, Email their support teams, flood their forums asking for BB 10 apps. Let them know you exist and you want their apps. BlackBerry is already doing their part by getting as many devs on board as they can, they know it's an issue so griping about it to them doesn't really help. Not saying you're griping, just saying it before others come here and blame BB, because that's inevitable as long as this thread exists.
    06-15-13 02:40 AM
    We never had skype but now we have it, stop complaining and take what is given. I never heard of vine so it's obviously not important. Neither is instagram or Netflix, I don't use them so no one else probably does either.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 02:52 AM
    We never had skype but now we have it, stop complaining and take what is given. I never heard of vine so it's obviously not important. Neither is instagram or Netflix, I don't use them so no one else probably does either.

Posted via CB10
    Give me a break! That thinking is what got BB in the very position it's in right now! Not many people will come to the platform if all BB has to offer for apps is SIDELOADING. This doesn't have to be done on ANY other platform because the apps are ALREADY.available. There is a thread started about a poster having some great difficulty with the process. How long do you think they will stay with BB if this is all they have to look forward to in order to get apps!
    richardat likes this.
    06-15-13 03:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    One can only hope this was sarcasm. If not you're hopeless.
    06-15-13 03:48 AM
    It really is pretty simple OP....and I've been saying it forever...numbers. BB doesn't have them. I wish they had convinced more developers (with large sums of money if need be) before launch.....sold them on the dream of a huge BB revolution...but that didn't happen. Now, they are stuck with numbers. Produce them.....or not! One can complain, and demand, or do anything they want, but if a large developer looks and sees....hmm......200+ million potential sales or 10 million potential sales....well...you see where the priority will be. Of course, BB and MS can try to attract the developers with other factors, and sometimes that can work, but in the end for the majority, it's an obvious business decision.

When BB can show big numbers, then the support will be there. I once said I think they need more like 50mil to be a "strong" #3 (and got attacked ridiculously)....I still think that. If they had sales like that....or even an initial sales surge that seemed to be on track for that (the illusion that they were going that way), then they'd have to beat developers -anxious to get in on the new action - off with a stick!
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-15-13 03:57 AM
    Chicken and egg problem. Developers don't want to build for BlackBerry because of several reasons.

1) They have in the past and it was previously difficult (BBOS devices)
    2) Not enough market share
    3) People are unaware of how well BB10 performs
    4) People think BB won't be around, no point in wasting resources on apps that won't be around.
    This is all true, and they are exactly the reasons why we don't have many apps for BB10.
    06-15-13 04:50 AM
    Blackberry should make a new phone built around the android software with all the common blackberry features and current skin.
    It can be done and its going to be extremely convenient for everybody! Like a hybrid!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    06-15-13 05:15 AM
    Totally agree.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 05:23 AM
    That would be your opinion, because if you were to say those are facts about Vine, Instagram and Netflix, then you are doomed!
    I am not complaining, I am demanding that the company that I love so much does something before we go into another apocalypse.

06-15-13 01:43 PM
    Adding to that, once developers see that BB users have found ways around native apps, they really won't bother developing native apps anymore.
    I can't stress enough the impact of the negativity porting and sideloading bring to the BB in general. Sure it's smart, but it puts us in a downward spiral on the long run.

Mr.V786 and sexybabe88 like this.
    06-15-13 01:53 PM
    ^^So totally agree with this!
    06-15-13 04:26 PM
    In two words:

Network effect
    notfanboy likes this.
    06-15-13 04:42 PM
    Plenty of apps. If you wanted android get an android device. It does not have to be phone.

Other then Google and Samsung not much money is being made making android phones. Besides Android is in mid to late life now. Not the time to join it, to make phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 04:48 PM
    One can only hope this was sarcasm. If not you're hopeless.
    Total sarcasm lol, I thought it was obvious by how far gone I was. Yea BlackBerry needs to pick it up for sure.
    06-15-13 05:25 PM
    Instagram is must if you ask me. Its as big as Twitter and Facebook and a lot of celebrities use it. Instagram not having an app on BB10 I'd definitely a deterrent for people on the market for a new phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    06-15-13 05:37 PM
    Yeah, sideloading isn't as convenient as just downloading from BlackBerry World. But ya know, what bothers me is that when RIM announced that you could sideload apps, everyone was so excited that they could have a wider variety of apps. Now that we can, everyone complains that we have to sideload some apps. Cmon, guys! For now, it's a good fix.
    Last edited by ajst222; 06-15-13 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Typo
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    06-15-13 05:49 PM
    ^^ Not everyone. If I wanted Android I would have bought Android.
    06-15-13 05:56 PM
    ^^ Not everyone. If I wanted Android I would have bought Android.
    Well when I said everyone, I didn't really mean everyone. Just as a generality. But when it was announced, there definitely was a huge positive vibe about it and now, it is pretty much the opposite.
    06-15-13 06:04 PM
    "Side loading, porting...why do we have to go through this?:

Be happy.
    It's a feature.
    No other mobile OS other than Android can claim this.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    06-15-13 07:31 PM
    Unsure what the OP expects.... OS is only 5 months old..... having as many apps as there are is actually rather impressive...... again..... as others have said.... if you are so hung up on having access to Android and Google Play why do they own a BB in the first place.... If apps are the main concern when purchasing a smartphone do some research and buy whatever phone gas the apps that are important to you....
    06-15-13 08:43 PM
    Blackberry could've paid the big devs off like ms. Instead, they decide to throw money away at unknown developers who make it to appworld.

It's just one bad business decision after another..
    06-15-13 08:44 PM
    Can we compare to windows phone 8? Did we already pass them in total apps?

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    06-15-13 08:52 PM

Maybe, however windows mobile is better from a quality standpoint.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    06-15-13 08:58 PM

No we did not.

Maybe, however windows mobile is better from a quality standpoint.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    I don't know if I could agree that Windows Phone is of better quality.
    06-15-13 09:01 PM
74 123