Based on what? RIMS CURRENT DEVICES!!!!!! Is the Playbook neglecting this aspect. Is the 9900 neglecting that aspect? BB's bearing the new QNX OS is that neglecting. Open your eye's to the future, you've got to look ahead because you'll never advance if you're looking back. If the complainers cant be patient enough the wait for the next big thing then they should beat feet. Constantly complaining aint changing a thing.
    this is all well and good and im all for it as well, but its just taking a really long time. RIM has not introduced a only two truly new/greatly improved devices since the 9000 (i.e. 9700+Variants and Torch). Apple, who also does Hardware and software, has introduced 3 (2 to be fair since the 3GS wasnt a HUGE step). Nokia has released more than RIM as well.

I have the idea that RIM, in order to save itself, needs to choose to specialize in one area (software or hardware). They could definitely make their devices work with WP7 or Android and have advantages with their form factor alone OR just focus on their QNX OS and license it to the HTCs and Nokias....
    07-09-11 12:31 AM
    Im not saying the other companies arent taking a good idea and running with it, but cmon dude, you dont seriously think that having an LED light makes a phone the best??? LEDs have been commonplace on phones in general since forever. Lately, RIM has not been an innovator in anything. The last thing innovative they have doon was the tocuhscreen on the Storm/2...and they have yet to re-implement it.

RIM needs to take a page from Apple and Google and do some copying of their own. If they dont, those other companies, who already do most things better than BB, will start to infringe upon the competitive advantages (however few) that RIM still has. Like you said, Apple is soon to get the almighty indicator light. Also, activesync is no worse than BIS/BES, Apple battery life has always been pretty decent, and some android keyboards (physical and virtual) are pretty awesome...2 Examples: the G2/DesireZ has a truly awesom physical qwerty, I played with an Inspire today and typed just as fast as i do with my Curve (NOTHING is better than my 9000).
    Actually its been the best notification system on a phone thus far. Second only to the freaking ringer for an incoming call. I cant tell you how important it is to miss a message because u didnt hear the tone. That little blinking light has told millions "hey somethings here" come check it out. Lol. i enjoy sure press daily, tried texting on my wifes itouch and iphone, its ai ight. tried it on a few droids as well. Doesnt float my boat. Heck, i may not like it on the next storm either. But bet your arse, im gonna test it first before i flat out buy then complain months down the line when i still have it. I will have a choice to take action.
    07-09-11 12:36 AM
    Rim can make good hardware as well as good software they have done it in the past and they can do it again. The trouble is in those two CEO'S they either lost focus or were intending to just do minor up grade's like they have in the past and thought that people would keep buying them and they could make more money selling the older phone they wouldn't have all that much money tied up in making the phones. In America they misjudged badly people wanted the lasts and greatest and wouldn't buy the older phones. Rim has lost 1,000,000 customer's in America this year.
    K Bear and reeneebob like this.
    07-09-11 01:10 AM
    I have a complaint, I bought this fork but now I've seen some spoons and I wish my fork was more like a spoon. Maybe they should make a spork but then it might not work as well as a fork or a spoon, arrrggghhhhh

What should I do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bpdude likes this.
    07-09-11 02:40 AM
    I have a complaint, I bought this fork but now I've seen some spoons and I wish my fork was more like a spoon. Maybe they should make a spork but then it might not work as well as a fork or a spoon, arrrggghhhhh

What should I do?

Flatware is overrated. Screw it, just eat with your hands.
    07-09-11 02:48 AM
    Flatware is overrated. Screw it, just eat with your hands.
    Aaa, but is it left hand or right hand, which is better?

07-09-11 03:04 AM
    My first smartphone was a BlackBerry. I owned 4. I am Canadian. I wanted to continue to support a Canadian company. Would I look at coming back to BB if they brought out something that competes with my Android or iPhone? Absolutely. I WANT TO SUPPORT BB. I WAS A FAN.

I started at this forum, and I continue at this forum. But like my Ottawa Senators - I get frustrated when I see them making bone head moves. RIM has been making bonehead moves for years.

And that's why I complain. Because I care.

I'm sorry if you don't get that.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-09-11 12:09 PM
    "To cut costs, RIM will lay off an undisclosed number of employees. Shares fell sharply."

Blackberry Maker's Misfortune Tied to Not Being Competitive | PCWorld

RIM recently also lost another million users while android gained 6.5 million and apple gained 3 million.

RIM loses 1m BlackBerry users in US while Android and Apple boom | Technology | guardian.co.uk

To say that RIM is on top and will be for a long time is no longer valid. In the past RIM was on top.

RIM is like the Lincoln Towncar - once a great luxury car but never kept up with technology and trends. The only thing keeping them going are the fleet purchases by chauffeur/rental companies. RIM's numbers would have suffered more if it wasn't for the corporate accounts.

Please keep in mind that I am a BB fan but like I mentioned I am also a realist. Unless RIM is able to make drastic changes in both technology and marketing I can only predict a declining future. I am sure many here will agree.
    That's all true for US but Rim has seen big growth in the rest of the world, Rim twitted recently that they added over 1 million new subscribers in EMA(Europe, Middles East, Africa) in less then 3 weeks, that's new subscribers, not existing ones upgrading phones. Why is this fact forever ignored?

07-09-11 12:42 PM

What should I do?

Spork!

PsyCorps likes this.
    07-09-11 12:50 PM
    Actually its been the best notification system on a phone thus far. Second only to the freaking ringer for an incoming call. I cant tell you how important it is to miss a message because u didnt hear the tone. That little blinking light has told millions "hey somethings here" come check it out. Lol. i enjoy sure press daily, tried texting on my wifes itouch and iphone, its ai ight. tried it on a few droids as well. Doesnt float my boat. Heck, i may not like it on the next storm either. But bet your arse, im gonna test it first before i flat out buy then complain months down the line when i still have it. I will have a choice to take action.
    ok

Rim can make good hardware as well as good software they have done it in the past and they can do it again. The trouble is in those two CEO'S they either lost focus or were intending to just do minor up grade's like they have in the past and thought that people would keep buying them and they could make more money selling the older phone they wouldn't have all that much money tied up in making the phones. In America they misjudged badly people wanted the lasts and greatest and wouldn't buy the older phones. Rim has lost 1,000,000 customer's in America this year.
    Im not saying they cant...im saying that, in their current financial state, combined with the fact that they are sooooo slooooww, they should probably consider specializing in just one of those. its actually Economics 101!

RIM could easily take Android, put BB-esque skin on it, optimize it for better battery life and put it on one of their own devices (not the current ones tho....they would probably asplode..) with specs like the Torch2 or the 9900.

Im willing to bet that the reason RIM takes so long to come out with devices is because they dont have the cash and capital to optimize software AND build the hardware efficiently. Im also willing to bet that they lose money every time Bolds are sold, considering the build quality they get....especially when compared to 93xx/85xx Curves which are basically PlaySkool......I mean their NI from last quarter was less than some of my college student colleagues.
    07-09-11 12:54 PM
    That's all true for US but Rim has seen big growth in the rest of the world, Rim twitted recently that they added over 1 million new subscribers in EMA(Europe, Middles East, Africa) in less then 3 weeks, that's new subscribers, not existing ones upgrading phones. Why is this fact forever ignored?

Right....but does it also say how many they lost.....are you certain that this "1 Million new subscribers in EMA" is a figure for the Net growth....

My point:

Gained 1million in EMA .....+1000000
    Lost 1Million in US...........-1000000
    Net Gain/Loss................0

Correct that doesnt take into account the losses in EMA and the gains in the US but im willing to bet that "0" is a higher figure than if we took all that into consideration...
    07-09-11 01:01 PM
    Right....but does it also say how many they lost.....are you certain that this "1 Million new subscribers in EMA" is a figure for the Net growth....

My point:

Gained 1million in EMA .....+1000000
    Lost 1Million in US...........-1000000
    Net Gain/Loss................0

Correct that doesnt take into account the losses in EMA and the gains in the US but im willing to bet that "0" is a higher figure than if we took all that into consideration...
    1 million lost in US was in a Quarter
    1 million gained in EMA was in under 3 weeks

07-09-11 01:09 PM
    1 million lost in US was in a Quarter
    1 million gained in EMA was in under 3 weeks

missed my point a bit....What im saying is that quoting 1mill new users in an area that large as proof of "large growth in the rest of the world" is not accurate. For all we know they could have lost just as many or more in that same period of time.

ANd for comparison (since there was talk about competition) there were more than 31 million Android headsets activated in each Quarter this year....Considering there are 13 weeks in a Quarter thats ~7 million average in 3 weeks........THAT is accompanied by an increase in market share.
    07-09-11 01:34 PM
    missed my point a bit....What im saying is that quoting 1mill new users in an area that large as proof of "large growth in the rest of the world" is not accurate. For all we know they could have lost just as many or more in that same period of time.

ANd for comparison (since there was talk about competition) there were more than 31 million Android headsets activated in each Quarter this year....Considering there are 13 weeks in a Quarter thats ~7 million average in 3 weeks........THAT is accompanied by an increase in market share.
    And I'm very happy for Android, but globaly Rim active subscribers have always, and still are, going up regardless of what Apple or Android is doing, and frankly, I couldn't care less of what they are doing.

Get yourself an Android and stop complaining.

07-09-11 01:51 PM
    I agree with the complainers, we need at least a hexagon processor, 22 gigs of ram and a build in 256 Gigs SSD storage on our phones or else RIM is going to die in 2 weeks from now becouse they are falling behind.
    The OS should make all my calls FOR me and answer my e-mails, clean my house, do my accounting, return that shirt it bought for me that I didn't like, wash my car while I sleep and listen to my wife nagging about her workday as I think that is the LEAST a SMART-phone should do for me.
    Than there is the battery, they need to put in a handheld cold fusion reactor that will last me for at least 200 years just in case I am going on a rather long camping trip.
    I would like to see at least 40 billion apps and no, I do not care if they are usefull or not, as long as they are there and I can tell everyone how many apps there are for my device.
    I would like to see a SDK for QNX that makes development as easy as just speaking into the microphone and tell it what it should do, so really anyone can develop for QNX without having to do anything for it.
    I DEMAND that RIM makes sure that everyone thinks I am the coolest dude on the planet when I walk around with their product or else, and I am really warning them, I WILL switch to another device!
    07-09-11 02:02 PM
    And I'm very happy for Android, but globaly Rim active subscribers have always, and still are, going up regardless of what Apple or Android is doing, and frankly, I couldn't care less of what they are doing.

Get yourself an Android and stop complaining.

denial is the first stage bro......losing market share globally will never equal "subscribers.....going up", the BASE company laying off hundreds of employees does not equal "subscribers....going up", reports from several individuals inside the company that explain how bone headed the "play makers" are does not equal going up.

And just for a second, turn your confirmation bias off and understand the only real point im trying to make: selling 10 new phones while 12 people decide to move elsewhere is called "Negative Growth"...im not saying that IS the case but until some facts say otherwise I will assume it is a possibility.

And saying "regardless of Apple and Android" and "I couldnt care less" and "Shut up and buy an Android" are all pretty pathetic arguments. You would do well to care about how competing platforms are doing, because if the keep out-competing RIM, soon enough there will be no RIM...and that, my friend, is business.
    07-09-11 02:57 PM
    Posting complaints on CrackBerry will not make any improvements at RIM.
    if only people realized this...
    07-09-11 03:05 PM
    you dont seriously think that having an LED light makes a phone the best??? LEDs have been commonplace on phones in general since forever...
    If you look at Blackberries as just mere LED indicators, you are probably nothing more than a fanatical and ignorant fanboy. Sure, the current Blackberries are not as flashy or powerful than Apple and Androids, but when it comes to the essentials, they are still KINGS:

-Security: Blackberry has automatic encryption of email, IM and various data via BIS, the least amount of viruses and malware and BIS monitoring to ensure solid data connection and security. What does Apple and Android have? Enough said.

-Data Efficiency: Blackberry has excellent data compression, which allows me to send and receive more data using less bandwidth. From most Blackberry sources, Blackberries are 5-10 times more efficient with data usage than Apples and Androids, perfect especially since companies are now imposing data limits and throttles.

-Excellent OS Reliability: I use my phone heavily to receive and send data pertaining to my business on a daily scale. My phone works tirelessly without and fusses. It's been three months since I bought my Blackberry and it has not crashed. Compare that to my friends who Apples and Androids, and they deal with periodic OS problems.

-Keyboard: I have tried a lot phones with qwerty keyboards and none match the speed, preciseness and feel of a Blackberry - period. I can type with ease for hours end.

-Battery: My battery life has averaged between 12-24 hours (this is with content encryption ON). Without content encryption, it can most likely reach 2 days, something Apple and Android CANNOT do. Also, why does Apple make a phone without a replaceable battery? In short, this is just plain stupidity.

-Email: Blackberry's email system is the best in the business, period. It's not only secure, but has the best user interface. It's so good that I now do 97% of emails on my phone than my computer.

RIM needs to take a page from Apple and Google and do some copying of their own...Apple battery life has always been pretty decent, and some android keyboards (physical and virtual) are pretty awesome...2 Examples: the G2/DesireZ has a truly awesom physical qwerty, I played with an Inspire today and typed just as fast as i do with my Curve (NOTHING is better than my 9000).
    The only copying RIM needs to do is with marketing. In regards to battery, Apple's averages 4-6 hours with moderate use. My curve can go for 12-24 hours, even with content encryption enabled. Plus, why does Apple make a battery that cannot be replaced? That's plain idiotic if ask any practical person. Lastly, you must be kidding if you think the keyboard on other phones can compete with a Blackberry. I have tried many phones with a qwerty keyboard, and so far, none has matched the speed, preciseness and professional feel of my Blackberry.

Im not saying they cant...im saying that, in their current financial state, combined with the fact that they are sooooo slooooww, they should probably consider specializing in just one of those. its actually Economics 101!...Im willing to bet that the reason RIM takes so long to come out with devices is because they dont have the cash and capital to optimize software AND build the hardware efficiently. Im also willing to bet that they lose money every time Bolds are sold, considering the build quality they get....especially when compared to 93xx/85xx Curves which are basically PlaySkool......I mean their NI from last quarter was less than some of my college student colleagues.
    $14.8 billion market cap, 2 billion in cash, no debt and expanding profits internationally. Economics 101 defines this is growth, so what financial state are you complaining about? You should join the likes of Bernie Madoff if you are playing around with the numbers.

Also, one other factor regarding economics is the market. What market does Apple and Android cater to? Consumers. What market does RIM cater to? The enterprise/business users. Different markets equate to different needs/wants.

Lastly, seeing your comment,"Im also willing to bet that they lose money every time Bolds are sold, considering the build quality they get.." just made me laugh HARD. You may want to reexamine your comments if you want me to take you seriously, otherwise, my only assumption on you is just another fanatical and insecure fanboy.
    Thachoc1 likes this.
    07-09-11 04:29 PM
    Posting complaints on CrackBerry will not make any improvements at RIM.

If we don't feel at liberty to post what's really on our minds, be it praise for BB for fear of being shot down by trolls, or criticism for fear of being branded a whiner, then the site will begin to die.

Were it not for the Bridge whinge I posted last week I would not have known about the update and would not now be enjoying my slick new experience.

You take away all the frustrated posters and the forums will stagnate, right now they are very buoyant. This in itself keeps BB relevant in our minds.
    07-09-11 04:32 PM
    denial is the first stage bro......losing market share globally will never equal "subscribers.....going up", the BASE company laying off hundreds of employees does not equal "subscribers....going up", reports from several individuals inside the company that explain how bone headed the "play makers" are does not equal going up.

And just for a second, turn your confirmation bias off and understand the only real point im trying to make: selling 10 new phones while 12 people decide to move elsewhere is called "Negative Growth"...im not saying that IS the case but until some facts say otherwise I will assume it is a possibility.

And saying "regardless of Apple and Android" and "I couldnt care less" and "Shut up and buy an Android" are all pretty pathetic arguments. You would do well to care about how competing platforms are doing, because if the keep out-competing RIM, soon enough there will be no RIM...and that, my friend, is business.
    So I should stop using a blackberry because one day Rim might not exist anymore? OK, maybe I should stop driving a car too.

07-09-11 04:41 PM
    So I should stop using a blackberry because one day Rim might not exist anymore? OK, maybe I should stop driving a car too.

No, what you need to realize is that if RIM does not get it together, you will no longer be able to purchase a new Blackberry as a consumer, because they will only be available through business channels as RIM's consumer market is drying up.
    07-09-11 04:50 PM

-Excellent OS Reliability: I use my phone heavily to receive and send data pertaining to my business on a daily scale. My phone works tirelessly without and fusses. It's been three months since I bought my Blackberry and it has not crashed. Compare that to my friends who Apples and Androids, and they deal with periodic OS problems.
    lmao my storms crashed atleast 1-2 a week. and then i would have to wait 7-8 minutes to reboot.

-Email: Blackberry's email system is the best in the business, period. It's not only secure, but has the best user interface. It's so good that I now do 97% of emails on my phone than my computer. With truncation of messages and no access to folders for BIS the only thing that RIM email is superior at is push email for pretty much all email.

The only copying RIM needs to do is with marketing. In regards to battery, Apple's averages 4-6 hours with moderate use. My curve can go for 12-24 hours, even with content encryption enabled. Plus, why does Apple make a battery that cannot be replaced? That's plain idiotic if ask any practical person. Lastly, you must be kidding if you think the keyboard on other phones can compete with a Blackberry. I have tried many phones with a qwerty keyboard, and so far, none has matched the speed, preciseness and professional feel of my Blackberry.
    Iphone 4 battery life is amazing. It last about as long as the bolds do in most tests i have seen. 4-6 hours not even close to being true.
    just some corrections for ya
    K Bear and gunderscorewil like this.
    07-09-11 04:53 PM

BD, I humbly regard you as one of the smartest, quickest and most level headed people on the forum and an ESSENTIAL balance in favour of BB.

Not trying to set you up, but I reckon for some folks telling them to leave BB is like telling a depressed fan to support Man Utd instead of his losing team when he is angry for them to do better.

I am beginning to think that much of the negativity on here is from folks who haven't even reached the point of being disenfranchised but are disenchanted, upset because their team appears to be going down without a fight.

I recall from your posts that you are not English, ergo you will not know the harrowing disappointment we are subjected to every two years in the Euro and World cup. England invented football, have the players, the talent, the money, the fans, but just can't drag their asses out of the mire. RIM (flinch, hate that word) invented the smart phone, have the brains, have the means, have the money etc...

I know the pain!
    Last edited by dodger_moore; 07-09-11 at 05:00 PM.
    07-09-11 04:54 PM
    No, what you need to realize is that if RIM does not get it together, you will no longer be able to purchase a new Blackberry as a consumer, because they will only be available through business channels as RIM's consumer market is drying up.
    I'm safe here then, I'm on a business contract. So I'll stop worrying if that's ok with you.

07-09-11 04:55 PM
    just some corrections for ya
    re: iPhone4 battery, my continuing anecdotal evidence shows it's battery cannot keep up with a Bold, e.g. camping weekenders with friends, long days out, never seen an iP4 outlast a Bold.

Edit: or even match it.
    Last edited by dodger_moore; 07-09-11 at 05:02 PM.
    MB2 likes this.
    07-09-11 04:58 PM
116 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD