I am so sick of this Smartphone wasting my time, I switch between IOS and Android trying to find a device that works for me. I certainty have wasted lots of $$ in phones. I just got a Key2 LE, I was drawn to it as I sense Blackberry's philosophy is on productivity and not so much on using your device as entertainment. I like the idea that the phone is a communication device, PIM and has android to do certain things. But am still wondering if BB android will still just be another distraction device like the iphone XS I have right now and considering if to return or not.

Would like to hear from you.
    10-15-18 07:33 AM
    It's only a distraction device if you use it to get distracted. The KEY2 LE (which I'm typing this on right now and I really enjoy it) is a full Android device as any other Android, except BlackBerry doesn't put a cluttered/messy IU on top of Android, preferring to keep it straight forward with some minor BB touches.
    The fact that the display is a 4.5" LCD obviously doesn't push the user to consume media/play games on it as much as if it was a 6" AMOLED.

Me personally, as long as BBMo keeps making keyboard devices, I won't touch anything else.
    10-15-18 09:18 AM
    I believe there are apps you can get that monitor your phone usage and that help you self limit. Another option is The Light phone. It's a kickstarter type project, for a very simple phone that is designed to only be used for calls, and a few limited functions....

https://www.thelightphone.com/
    10-15-18 09:19 AM
    Don't blame the device for your lack of self discipline/control.
    10-15-18 09:33 AM
    you've wasted more of your time asking this very question. it's all about getting the balance right, work time, home life etc. spending time on the phone for me is when I may be travelling on a bus / train or I have a few minutes to spare with a coffee etc. good luck
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-15-18 10:34 AM
    1000%.
    10-15-18 12:56 PM
    But am still wondering if BB android will still just be another distraction device like the iphone XS I have right now and considering if to return or not.

Why not use it and decide for yourself before putting it before an Internet forum?
    I'm old school like that.
    10-15-18 01:02 PM
    You do realize these devices are addictive by design, right?

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/27/170537...n-google-apple
    10-15-18 01:03 PM
    if you can't control yourself, do the following: (1) get a limited data plan - no upgrade path but shut off after usage. or (2) lack your device during weekend or after work in a draw - give the key to your dog (either put into the dog backpack or chain it on the neck), resist to call your dog every time you hear the buzz or music in the draw... after few days, you are cured. (3) find some interesting book to read - book reader appear to be not addicted to phone... but need longer time training to establish book reading habit - unless you live next to libary, it could be more costly than money you wasted in the phones. (4) if you already looped into iOS eco system, chances are, you will return the BB, just because apple has long string to pull.
    10-16-18 07:20 AM
    One of the things that I do, is technology free Sundays. While I don't do it EVERY Sunday, often I will take the day off from tech. No phone, no PC, no TV etc.
    10-16-18 08:07 AM
    you can always put on parental controls and have someone else set the password that way you only have what's absolutely necessary for work or day to day needs.
    pkcable likes this.
    10-16-18 09:03 AM
    If you don't want distraction from millions of apps, get an older Blackberry like Q10 or Classic or Passport.
    johnb_xp and DINGSTER1 like this.
    10-16-18 06:27 PM
    +1 on getting a BB10 device
    You can also try KISS launcher with Minimal UI on, keeps a few most used apps and one widget on your home screen. I set the widget to the BB Hub and my apps to the ones I use most with the least distraction.

The rest of the apps would need to have their name typed in to the launcher's search bar, or opened by scrolling through a big list. Keeps me on task by adding extra steps, lol.

Sick of the smartphones and time wasting-screenshot_20181016-212046_kiss-launcher.jpg
    10-16-18 09:20 PM
    I am so sick of this Smartphone wasting my time, I switch between IOS and Android trying to find a device that works for me. I certainty have wasted lots of $$ in phones. I just got a Key2 LE, I was drawn to it as I sense Blackberry's philosophy is on productivity and not so much on using your device as entertainment. I like the idea that the phone is a communication device, PIM and has android to do certain things. But am still wondering if BB android will still just be another distraction device like the iphone XS I have right now and considering if to return or not.

I’m with johnny_bravo72, self control. It’s a necessary quality for adults..
    eiruvrav likes this.
    10-16-18 09:27 PM
    I’m with johnny_bravo72, self control. It’s a necessary quality for adults..
    It start's with not walking into the candy store when you're on a diet.

A nice way to not walk into the trap is buying a device that just does what you need to do and nothing else.

I recently saw a great concept by a startup that bought the "Palm" brand...
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/15/...-spent-verizon
    10-17-18 02:58 AM

I saw it too, and then I saw that it didn't have a keyboard, and then I immediately lost interest.

We have enough (as in too much) glass to type on already
    10-17-18 05:01 AM

A nice way to not walk into the trap is buying a device that just does what you need to do and nothing else.

But that’s just it. Your current phone doesn’t have to be the candy store. You can have a smartphone and not install the apps. You can have the apps but not be actively logged into them.

Ultimately, it’s self control or the lack of self control. Anything else is just a crutch that's not a suitable replacement for a healthy leg, when you have one to begin with. Not using the brain you have with it’s mental capabilities is just a waste.
    10-17-18 06:31 AM

It's not a standalone phone, though -- Or at least, Verizon won't let you buy it as one, You need to have a standard Verizon phone, and use the Palm device as an add-on to your existing account using their Numbershare service.
    10-17-18 07:23 AM
    But that’s just it. Your current phone doesn’t have to be the candy store. You can have a smartphone and not install the apps. You can have the apps but not be actively logged into them.

Ultimately, it’s self control or the lack of self control. Anything else is just a crutch that's not a suitable replacement for a healthy leg, when you have one to begin with. Not using the brain you have with it’s mental capabilities is just a waste.
    Exactly, there's a difference between "skipping the candy" and "scrounging for rats like it's Venezuela".
    john_v likes this.
    10-17-18 07:45 AM
    you can always put on parental controls and have someone else set the password that way you only have what's absolutely necessary for work or day to day needs.
    Lol, I feel like this is one step away from rehab/requiring professional intervention and help
    10-17-18 04:27 PM
    Lol, I feel like this is one step away from rehab/requiring professional intervention and help
    Unfortunately in today's society many people are so addicted to their devices that intervention/ rehab is the only option!
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    10-18-18 05:54 AM
    One of the things that I do, is technology free Sundays. While I don't do it EVERY Sunday, often I will take the day off from tech. No phone, no PC, no TV etc.
    How do you survive? ;-)

Q10 Powered
    10-18-18 05:55 AM
    Recognizing the addictive nature of these devices, I've tried setting the screen to black and white, after reading a blog by someone with similar concerns. This one step is fairly effective in reducing the "attractive nuisance" quality of my phone (an LG G6). I wouldn't have believed it before I tried it. The B&W screen is simply less engaging and I am consequently less tempted to look at it. And when I do look at it, I'm less tempted to keep looking at it.
    10-18-18 11:53 AM
    How do you survive? ;-)

Q10 Powered
    It's tough, but I manage. I do household chores, and I spend time with family.
    eiruvrav and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    10-18-18 01:49 PM
    Recognizing the addictive nature of these devices, I've tried setting the screen to black and white, after reading a blog by someone with similar concerns. This one step is fairly effective in reducing the "attractive nuisance" quality of my phone (an LG G6). I wouldn't have believed it before I tried it. The B&W screen is simply less engaging and I am consequently less tempted to look at it. And when I do look at it, I'm less tempted to keep looking at it.
    Very interesting observation.
    10-18-18 03:17 PM
70 123